HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 10, 2012, 01:15 AM
United States, IL, Essex
Joined Feb 2010
1,618 Posts
I did the same thing with my champ too. Rudder is on both sticks. I never did mix it back on right to act as ailerons though. That would make a guy have to use that rudder! I also have other planes I fly . I always try to fly scale and smooth and build on that as I progress. I truly do love this hobby!
jwp2 is offline Find More Posts by jwp2
to remove ads between posts
Old May 16, 2012, 02:40 PM
AMA 988154
United States, NJ, Somerset
Joined Jan 2009
194 Posts
Hi all. The Night Vapor is my first plane. As you can probably tell, I fly heilis. It seems the BNF Vapor is backordered just about everywhere. I expect mine in about two weeks. Could anyone give me some programming for the Night Vapor using a DX6i ? Thanks for your help.
k4pacific is offline Find More Posts by k4pacific
Old May 16, 2012, 05:17 PM
United States, AZ, Peoria
Joined Aug 2010
1,023 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by k4pacific View Post
Hi all. The Night Vapor is my first plane. As you can probably tell, I fly heilis. It seems the BNF Vapor is backordered just about everywhere. I expect mine in about two weeks. Could anyone give me some programming for the Night Vapor using a DX6i ? Thanks for your help.
The plane is very docile and does not need very much in the way of programing. You might see if you like programming your lower rates to about 70% or something around there until you get used to it. (Which should not take very long at all) Also once in the air you can check to see if it needs any elevator up or down trim if it is not flying level at about 1/2 throttle and any rudder trim if it is showing any tendency to turn left or right when your hand is off the stick. You will need close to windless conditions to trim the plane well since it is so light and is almost impossible to trim right with any wind. Speaking of wind I do not recommend flying this bird in any wind over 2 mph because it can get away from you in a hurry, particularly if you are high up.
flydown is offline Find More Posts by flydown
Last edited by flydown; May 16, 2012 at 05:52 PM.
Old May 16, 2012, 05:38 PM
If it spins, wear it.
Northern Nevada
Joined Jan 2011
2,259 Posts
The NV is a very docile flyer, shouldn't take long to master. I mix about 35 to 40 percent " up" elevator with rudder to make it very easy to stay level in turns. I also recommend flying with the battery tray slid all the way back, flys high alpha very well and will fly very slow that way too.

I had forgotten how much fun the NV is in the front yard but I have started flying her every calm evening lately. Usually calmest just before dark and the lights are great for keeping orientation.
whirlcap is offline Find More Posts by whirlcap
Old May 16, 2012, 10:27 PM
Joined Dec 2011
22 Posts
I had a original vapor and just bought a night vapor.
And I realized night vapor dont fly as well as original

For example, my original vapor is able to fly level with just 1/4 throttle,
but night vapor require more than half.

Had been playing around with the different cg, but night vapor still dont fly as easy as original. The former motor is also always hotter after each flight.

Anyone had the same issue?
freedomflight is offline Find More Posts by freedomflight
Old May 18, 2012, 12:16 PM
If it spins, wear it.
Northern Nevada
Joined Jan 2011
2,259 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by freedomflight View Post

Had been playing around with the different cg, but night vapor still dont fly as easy as original. The former motor is also always hotter after each flight.

Many have said the prop isn't pitched enough on the NV. Some have added some twist with their fingers and claim positive results. Most complaints seemed to be after replacing a prop and that does support the idea they may have flattened after manufacturing or shipping. Mine will nearly hover at WOT so I have not messed with mine. There are also enough changes between the two models that could be a factor too. I suspect the NV must weigh slightly more with the lights and repairable/removable structures that likely have a hair more material. I fly mine without gear because of the greatly increased "float factor" so it makes sense that the slightest change in weight will have noticeable effects.
whirlcap is offline Find More Posts by whirlcap
Old May 18, 2012, 02:18 PM
AMA 988154
United States, NJ, Somerset
Joined Jan 2009
194 Posts
Thanks for the replies. I will be flying mostly indoors. Our club has the use of a local armory which I would guess has a 20-25 foot ceiling. Does WOT stand for "wide open throttle"?
k4pacific is offline Find More Posts by k4pacific
Old May 18, 2012, 02:21 PM
United States, IL, Essex
Joined Feb 2010
1,618 Posts
WOT does stand for Wide Open Throttle.
jwp2 is offline Find More Posts by jwp2
Old May 18, 2012, 02:57 PM
Joined Mar 2010
1,337 Posts
You want to learn as much as you can with the NV. So do not mix anything. You very much need to learn to turn LEFT AND RIGHT all the while staying level. This teaches you to add back stick pressure as you turn...

low rate at 70% is good.

Happy flying...
rtbates is offline Find More Posts by rtbates
Old May 18, 2012, 04:20 PM
CLEVELAND,OHIO
Joined Feb 2003
476 Posts
lol,I havent got one pack through it yet and already need replacments
I snapped one leg off of the landing gear,im sure there has to be a mod for this maybe just some wire?
I can deal with that,but I just planted it and the prop came off,im not sure but it looked like it broke off in the prop? I cant seem to push it back on. Is this common?
ProfitOfDoom is offline Find More Posts by ProfitOfDoom
Old May 18, 2012, 04:30 PM
UK, Ballymena, Ballymena
Joined Aug 2008
139 Posts
Fix for landing gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfitOfDoom View Post
I snapped one leg off of the landing gear,im sure there has to be a mod for this maybe just some wire?
I can deal with that,but I just planted it and the prop came off,im not sure but it looked like it broke off in the prop? I cant seem to push it back on. Is this common?
Take the broken leg and splice to a short length of carbon fibre or even a cocktail stick and push this in to the hole where the landing leg goes in. Dont glue it in!
I've broken the motor mount on mine and repaired with superglue.
The replacement prop didnt work but but the champ prop with a bit of masking tape round the shaft was a vast improvement.
Nano tech batteries also make a difference. I've also fixed the prop with superglue!
ourbluehorizon is offline Find More Posts by ourbluehorizon
Old May 18, 2012, 09:06 PM
United States, OR, Portland
Joined Dec 2010
536 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by freedomflight View Post

I put a different 6mm motor in mine, namely the one sold for the J-3 cub. It produces almost 3 times as much power and I can loop at 1/3 throttle and perform brief hovers. All you need to do is splice on the leads from the original motor as the ones for the J-3 cub motor are too short.

HTH.
slim1357 is offline Find More Posts by slim1357
Old May 18, 2012, 11:03 PM
CLEVELAND,OHIO
Joined Feb 2003
476 Posts
I was looking at hobby king,This is where you would get the better battery?
I see the 160mah looks to be pretty close to the dimension of the stock battery,this is what I should get? But I see there not in the US anywhere to get in the states?
ProfitOfDoom is offline Find More Posts by ProfitOfDoom
Old May 19, 2012, 03:23 AM
Joined Apr 2012
6 Posts
Quote:
I was looking at hobby king,This is where you would get the better battery?
I see the 160mah looks to be pretty close to the dimension of the stock battery,this is what I should get? But I see there not in the US anywhere to get in the states?
Hobby King does sell batteries for cheap but they're 130mah in size, which will make the plane fly a bit heavier and faster. I personally like the Hyperion 100mah batteries over my nanotech. They're not too heavy from the stock 70mah batteries but because they're rated 25c, they give a lot more power and makes it a lot more fun to fly. Google search "Hyperion 100mah" and you'll find a number of places selling them.

PS - the nanotech are also rated 25c.
Lanzer is offline Find More Posts by Lanzer
Old May 19, 2012, 03:31 AM
Joined Apr 2012
6 Posts
Quote:
A while back I posted a few pics of the various fixes which include the landing gear fix, you might find it useful:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=562

The landing gear is very easy to break, but luckily it's also easy to repair.

The thing that bugs me the most is how easy it is for the prop to break from the prop shaft. Once it's broken then it's time to buy new prop shaft and new props. I suggest getting a prop saver to save you the headache. Not only does it save you money but it allows you to use different types of props. I'm now flying with a 4505 prop which is a high pitch prop that gives really good power. Tons of fun.
Lanzer is offline Find More Posts by Lanzer