HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 12, 2012, 09:41 AM
Joined Dec 2007
43 Posts
I have been having fun with the NV.

The best time to fly outside with UMs seems to be when it is dark. I have harvested the LEDs off of a couple spare NV wings, and added them to a Champ and Ember 2. I soldered a Nano-JST Female 3-pin Right Angle connector to Ember 2 and Champ brink. The entire setup added about 1 gram to each plane.

So now my sons and I can fly all three planes at night. Good times.
BlackIce is offline Find More Posts by BlackIce
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 14, 2012, 02:11 AM
Joined Feb 2007
341 Posts
I feel like a slow flyer might be ideal for me, but I'm concerned about the fact that it's always windy where I live. Can the Night Vapor handle any kind of wind at all?
flightsuit is offline Find More Posts by flightsuit
Old Apr 14, 2012, 02:14 AM
USA, CA, Westlake Village
Joined Sep 2004
1,774 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flightsuit View Post
I feel like a slow flyer might be ideal for me, but I'm concerned about the fact that it's always windy where I live. Can the Night Vapor handle any kind of wind at all?
Not really. A slight breeze is okay...but it should be calm to maximize enjoyment.
lovespicyfood is offline Find More Posts by lovespicyfood
Old Apr 14, 2012, 06:11 PM
If it spins, wear it.
Northern Nevada
Joined Jan 2011
2,149 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flightsuit View Post
Not really? I'd say more like....NO! . If there is much of a breeze at all the Night Vapor will be over come by it. This is an indoor or zero wind plane in my opinion. With some of the power mods or prop changes others suggest it is possible this plane might handle some light wind but my experience has taught me to only fly outside if it's dead calm. In stock form, you will quickly find your NV flying backwards unable to penetrate much of a breeze. . It can carry a stripped down camera too but just barely. It's a real fun plane to have and I recommend it but it has limits!
whirlcap is offline Find More Posts by whirlcap
Old Apr 14, 2012, 08:05 PM
United States, IN, Bloomington
Joined Jan 2012
306 Posts
Just had my best night flying the NV yet, really calm. Flew two ~20 min flights in the dusky sky's. Had a few bats fly by to see what was up, but didn't really bother the plane. Had it way up until the lights were just dots in the sky, great fun!
Lumpy05 is offline Find More Posts by Lumpy05
Old Apr 15, 2012, 03:40 PM
UK, Ballymena, Ballymena
Joined Aug 2008
132 Posts
Replacing prop

Just discovered after pulling off the prop that it actually goes on a threaded shaft. Use needle nose pliers to hold the shaft behind the prop and the broken prop will easily "unscrew". The prop can be fixed with a spot of super glue.
ourbluehorizon is offline Find More Posts by ourbluehorizon
Old Apr 18, 2012, 04:45 AM
Joined Apr 2012
6 Posts
various mods and fixes for the night vapor

A co-worker got himself a Night Vapor last month, and now we have 4 of them in the office. Together I've witness all sorts of different ways that the NV can break. So in response we did a couple of repairs and mods to strengthen the plane. most of the tips I've gotten through various threads so they might not be anything new, but I thought I'd summarize them here since I noticed that recent posts still talk about difficulties in some of the damages that we encountered.

Here's a list of mods and fixes:

- Prop saver: The prop shaft is the easiest part to break because we are flying indoor. When the prop shaft breaks, the prop with a broken shaft inside also need to be trashed. No wonder the prop shaft is sold out everywhere. The best accessory is the prop saver from RCfunlab. No more broken prop! Just be sure to stock up on rubber bands which hold the prop in place. Oh, and a great plus for having prop saver is that you can try out bigger props with more torque!

- Carbon rod on prop shaft: Find a hollow carbon rod with a 1mm inner diameter, and you can glue it onto the prop shaft between the prop and the gear to strength it and keep it from bending easily.

- Carbon strip between motor and fuselage: The motor mount is notorious for breaking, so cut out a tiny piece of carbon strip and glue it between the motor and the fuselage. Don't spend money on a carbon strip if you don't have one, just use any hard plastic or even cut up an aluminum can to do the same thing.

- Glue the motor wire: The wire that connects to the motor can break or fall off and it'll be extremely difficult to repair. Protect it by putting a dab of glue, preferably flexible hot glue or rubber cement.

- Use carbon rod to repair landing gear: If your landing gear breaks, just pull out the plastic coupler and you can fit a 1.5mm carbon shaft into the hole. Just glue the shaft right in, then prepare a heat shrinking tube and glue the old landing gear on the 1.5mm carbon shaft then wrap the assembly with the heat shrinking tube

- Music wire to repair elevator or rudder: There's no need to buy a new elevator or rudder, just find a music wire the same size as the tiny carbon rods that hold the elevator and rudder in place, and replace the broken carbon rod with music wire that should have much more impact resistance. It takes quite a bit of effort to dig out the carbon rod from the elevator assembly, but it's a straight forward operation. For the rudder you can just glue the rudder onto the music wire.

Hope you guys will find something useful here
Lanzer is offline Find More Posts by Lanzer
Old Apr 21, 2012, 06:32 PM
United States, VA, Fairfax
Joined Feb 2004
1,721 Posts
can you remotely turn the lights of and on ?
sajeev is offline Find More Posts by sajeev
Old Apr 22, 2012, 12:51 AM
United States, WA, Burien
Joined Feb 2012
29 Posts
Phenominal! Thanks for the insight lanzer. I recently purchased the night vapor so this will come in handy.
kudos
chi chi is offline Find More Posts by chi chi
Old Apr 22, 2012, 06:15 AM
UK, Ballymena, Ballymena
Joined Aug 2008
132 Posts
lights

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajeev View Post
can you remotely turn the lights of and on ?
In a word. No. I don't think it would be worth the extra weight to add a set of lights with a remote function.
Old Apr 24, 2012, 03:26 PM
Joined Feb 2010
1,412 Posts
I love taking mine outside to fly. It just has to be a NO wind condition.
jwp2 is offline Find More Posts by jwp2
Old Apr 25, 2012, 10:23 AM
Joined Feb 2010
1,412 Posts
I wish they sold the lights seperately.
Old Apr 25, 2012, 11:06 AM
UK, Ballymena, Ballymena
Joined Aug 2008
132 Posts
Separate Lights

They do. Its called the Vapour. Then add your own lights from Hobbyking but i dont think it would be as light!
Old May 01, 2012, 02:04 PM
Joined Feb 2010
1,412 Posts
One thing I like about flying my vapor indoors is that I can explore and experience the basics of flight. Like the difference in turning from right to left. or doing figure 8s end experiencing "wake turbulence" right there in your living room! I have my radio programmed so the rudder will operate from both sticks. Its fun to try to fly using left stick for rudder only but having the good old right stick to bail me out when I get in over my head! Its truly a fun little learning tool!
Old May 07, 2012, 11:21 AM
If it spins, wear it.
Northern Nevada
Joined Jan 2011
2,149 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwp2 View Post
One thing I like about flying my vapor indoors is that I can explore and experience the basics of flight. Like the difference in turning from right to left. or doing figure 8s end experiencing "wake turbulence" right there in your living room! I have my radio programmed so the rudder will operate from both sticks. Its fun to try to fly using left stick for rudder only but having the good old right stick to bail me out when I get in over my head! Its truly a fun little learning tool!
Wake turbulence is interesting to experience, I've had it out doors on very calm mornings with larger planes and even in a full scale Cessna while doing circles.

Mixing the rudder to the right stick is a good idea, I did it right away with my NV and Champ because I intended to fly more planes and want to learn rudder is always on the left stick with the throttle. I even have the aileron (rudder) on the right reduced so it has just a minor turn effect so it simulates ailerons on my 3 ch planes. It has helped me learn to deal with ailerons on my larger 4 ch planes.
whirlcap is offline Find More Posts by whirlcap