HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 02, 2012, 08:21 AM
Joined Jul 2011
365 Posts
I would say yes it is unusual unless you have put many hours of flying on it. My original motor lasted and the only reason I replaced it was I wanted more power :-) So I replaced it with a Parkzone J3 Cub motor. Same size, significant power increase.

Are you sure it is the motor and not the battery? I Eflight batteries are not that good. I am using the Thunder Power batteries for it and my other UMX (although I am using Hyperions in my MCPX)
rocket_33 is online now Find More Posts by rocket_33
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 02, 2012, 09:37 AM
If it spins, wear it.
Northern Nevada
Joined Jan 2011
2,255 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackIce View Post
Is it unusual for the NV motor to die within two weeks?

I haven't been using it that much. Before it died, it was getting a little sketchy...not giving full power all the time, cutting out then coming back on...

I ordered a couple of replacement motors.
I wouldn't say normal but the little motors they use on the micros are not very high quality. Some (most) last fine but you get a dud once and a while. The micro helis can really go through them fast as the loads are higher on them. It also helps to let them cool off between battery packs if you aren't doing that. Not too long, a couple minutes will help them especially if your running them wide open a lot.
whirlcap is offline Find More Posts by whirlcap
Old Feb 02, 2012, 12:31 PM
Joined Dec 2007
43 Posts
I tried a few different batteries. No luck.

I may have to try a Parkzone J3 Cub motor. My NV seems like it could use more power.
BlackIce is offline Find More Posts by BlackIce
Old Feb 02, 2012, 08:22 PM
USA, North Alabama
Joined May 2007
166 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackIce View Post
Is it unusual for the NV motor to die within two weeks?

I haven't been using it that much. Before it died, it was getting a little sketchy...not giving full power all the time, cutting out then coming back on...

I ordered a couple of replacement motors.
That does not sound right. If you got it at a local hobby store, take it back and ask them to check it out. Hopefully they are not just salesmen and have knowledge about the products they sale.

I've put 10+ flights on mine thus so far and have not seen any of the problems you described.
WheelzzzUp is offline Find More Posts by WheelzzzUp
Old Feb 03, 2012, 04:01 AM
Joined Dec 2007
43 Posts
derp

I took the NV into a well lit area, and found out the motor wires were not connected to the brick very well. I pushed that in, and that fixed it. More power and longer flights than before.

derp
Old Feb 11, 2012, 01:57 AM
Joined Dec 2007
43 Posts
It's pretty fun to fly at night.

What is the range with the stock RTF transmitter?
Old Feb 12, 2012, 09:49 AM
I'm a Registered User
Evansville, WI
Joined Dec 2006
3,689 Posts
When it comes to micro LEDs, you seem to get the most LEDs for the least money on the Night Vapor. I want to transplant the light set from this plane onto another, but I've got a question. Does the REPLACEMENT MAIN WING come with all the LEDs on the plane, or are there seperate LEDs on the boom? Thanks for the info
Bugman Jeff is offline Find More Posts by Bugman Jeff
Old Feb 12, 2012, 03:42 PM
Have fun
Joined May 2007
6,088 Posts
The wing comes with all LEDS. I bought one just to use the lights for my suk.
airpower is offline Find More Posts by airpower
Old Feb 12, 2012, 06:12 PM
I'm a Registered User
Evansville, WI
Joined Dec 2006
3,689 Posts
Cool, thanks
Bugman Jeff is offline Find More Posts by Bugman Jeff
Old Feb 25, 2012, 06:54 PM
Balsa is for doll houses
Texas, San Antonio
Joined Aug 2004
1,647 Posts
I got mine a few days ago and am in love. I got home from work around 10pm and grabbed a few batteries and headed to the front yard , the winds picked up around midnight and chased me inside. I couldn't believe I sat on the sidewalk and flew for 2 hours straight. very cool airplane.
Skrogg is offline Find More Posts by Skrogg
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Babymetal!
Old Feb 26, 2012, 08:12 AM
pdp
Still learning!
Canada, NS, Yarmouth
Joined Jan 2012
6 Posts
Hi,

After reading this thread and watching many related YouTube vids, I bought my Night Vapor about a month ago and love it! I was too eager to fly it and couldn't wait for the winds to calm down outside and I flew it in the small garage at work. I don't know how many times I crashed , but it's still going strong. I had considered to buy the Uberlites, but read that they weren't as sturdy. I think I made the right move since I crashed the Vapor so much at the beginning.

I did break one of the landing gear legs though - I've been flying it without landing gear with no issues. I am going to try to make a homemade mod for a landing gear. I'll have to experiment on how it affects the flight and the COG.

I am amazed how strong it is compared to how flimsy it actually looks. I was shocked when I unboxed it to see how thin the wing film was. It's like Glad Wrap only much stronger!

I have since flown it in my backyard when the winds cooperated and that's when it's really fun to fly. I was actually flying it last evening while I was barbecuing on the deck! Only one burger was a bit charred And yes, I was barbecuing in Feb in Nova Scotia with no snow on the ground - isn't it great?!

I also bought four spare 150 mAh batteries off eBay and they last much longer than the stock battery in these cold temps (near 0 Celcius). I haven't flown it at night yet - waiting for it to warm up a bit.

It's really fun to be able to walk out the door and fly an RC model in the backyard without having to drive anywhere. I do like to fly my other toys (Mini SuperCub and a mini S107 Syma helicopter) but the Night Vapor is a unique flying experience that's loads of fun.

Looking forward to calm spring evenings, but not the bugs!

pdp
pdp is offline Find More Posts by pdp
Old Feb 26, 2012, 08:23 AM
United States, ID, Mountain Home
Joined Sep 2011
198 Posts
Welcome pdp. The night vapor is a blast at night. I too can't wait for warmer weather to fly more but for now just try to get some flying in when I can. Have fun with it and if you have any questions these guys know a lot .
Notsogood is offline Find More Posts by Notsogood
Old Feb 28, 2012, 09:00 AM
Blade CP Pro Newb
New York
Joined Sep 2006
79 Posts
I'm loving it, lots of fun. I Managed to go through quite a few gears and motor mounts over the last two weeks though...
funbags is online now Find More Posts by funbags
Old Mar 03, 2012, 09:15 PM
United States, ID, Mountain Home
Joined Sep 2011
198 Posts
Flew the vapor tonight with no wind. Man that plane is a blast. Have fun
Notsogood is offline Find More Posts by Notsogood
Old Mar 04, 2012, 12:31 AM
United States, IL, Carol Stream
Joined Nov 2009
635 Posts
anyone have any good post or videos on how to recover the wings/tail? I just did mine with some super glue and cellophane from the party outlet store. it was a mess!! im thinking maybe next time to use elmers?
Hot_Wheels is offline Find More Posts by Hot_Wheels