HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 25, 2012, 09:30 PM
USA, North Alabama
Joined May 2007
166 Posts
Night Vapor does not like much in the way of a breeze at all. Its more like an RC version of a Mapel Leaf

I've flown mine when it seemed the wind was fairly calm only to find that a light breeze was pushing me around.

Around here, early morning and very late in the evening works best.

I flew a Champ at the LHS in a wind and I was surprised that the owner would even to fly such a light weight plane in those winds. Would not have flown my micro J-3 Cub in it. The Champ handled the breeze much better than I thought it would.

They are both fun planes to fly when the wind is not anywhere to be found.
WheelzzzUp is offline Find More Posts by WheelzzzUp
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 26, 2012, 04:09 AM
RC addict? I'm not addicted...
Danmark, Midtjylland, Roslev
Joined Jul 2011
1,096 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by whirlcap View Post
Yes it is, if you have very calm wind conditions... Meaning practically none at all! Or if you have enough room indoors. Another good choice is the Hobby Zone Champ, 89.99 USD everything you need to fly in the box. It will handle light wind too. (fly with no wind at first recommended though) any breeze at all will quickly ground a Vapor or send it out of sight, it doesn't have the power to push into much of a breeze at all.

I have one of each and they are both great.
+1 on everything he says.

Also both planes are easy to mod later on.
Nighthawk74 is offline Find More Posts by Nighthawk74
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Blade 300 X n00biness
Old Jan 26, 2012, 08:51 PM
Gravity gets me down.
USA, FL, Brooksville
Joined Jan 2008
1,404 Posts
Anyone else notice that the ParkZone PKZ3001 LiPo has been discontinued?
helicow is offline Find More Posts by helicow
Old Jan 27, 2012, 02:16 PM
United States, ID, CDA
Joined Dec 2010
333 Posts
I'm having a problem with one side of the landing gear ..one side unpluged ok,but the other side must have had a little of the glue that was used to put the plane together in the hole for the lg strut..well ,trying to free the strut ,it broke off with the tip of the strut stuck inside...So how do I free up the glue???
planesilver is offline Find More Posts by planesilver
Old Jan 27, 2012, 02:34 PM
Joined Jul 2011
477 Posts
Good luck, I had that happen and you can't even buy that part separatey....so I just ended up flying it w/o a landing gear
rocket_33 is offline Find More Posts by rocket_33
Old Jan 27, 2012, 02:35 PM
Joined Jul 2011
477 Posts
BTW later on I broke the carbon rod that goes between the front of the wing and the frame.....and guess what...it broke flush in the bottom section. Again can't get that part so I had to get a whole airframe just for that one plastic piece
Old Jan 27, 2012, 02:47 PM
United States, ID, CDA
Joined Dec 2010
333 Posts
Thank's Rocket,...

I was about to try heat to free the glue,I'm hoping it's maybe a hot glue....
Old Jan 27, 2012, 02:49 PM
Joined Jul 2011
477 Posts
Good luck but it will probably soften and ruin the plastic
Old Jan 27, 2012, 10:49 PM
Joined Dec 2007
43 Posts
I picked up one for my son. Or that is the story I tell myself.

We have about a 35' x 50' space in the basement to fly in. I figure that should be pretty good for winter flying, or when it is windy. Cobwebs are kinda annoying.

I bought one 70mAh battery, and 3 x 150mAh batteries.

What other spare parts should I pick up? Some props, a spare motor, prop shaft?

I plan on getting a Champ in the spring.
BlackIce is offline Find More Posts by BlackIce
Old Jan 28, 2012, 11:03 AM
United States, ID, CDA
Joined Dec 2010
333 Posts
Rocket, didn't soften the air frame,but the socket for the strut was glued together and it is in two peices ( looks like the mfg. just pushed this plane out the door with a poor quick repair )...when I told HH about it they sent me a new bare fuselage ...now I have to move everything to the new fuselage ...hope I don't run into more of that glue in the transfer ....ca debonder is ruled out ,bad for cf it seems...has anyone dealt with this before?
Old Jan 28, 2012, 02:46 PM
United States, CA, San Gabriel
Joined Jan 2008
144 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by planesilver View Post
Rocket, didn't soften the air frame,but the socket for the strut was glued together and it is in two peices ( looks like the mfg. just pushed this plane out the door with a poor quick repair )...when I told HH about it they sent me a new bare fuselage ...now I have to move everything to the new fuselage ...hope I don't run into more of that glue in the transfer ....ca debonder is ruled out ,bad for cf it seems...has anyone dealt with this before?
Your best bet would be to take a Hobby knife with a fresh blade and hone out the hole a bit. I would NOT use de-bonder, as this will weaken the carbon structure.
mxandrews1 is offline Find More Posts by mxandrews1
Old Feb 01, 2012, 03:56 PM
Minneapolis MN USA
Joined Jul 2004
100 Posts
How do I get the motor mount off?

I broke the motor mount and need to replace it. How do you get it off? Brute force? Also, the hobby shop sold me a Vapor motor mount, they said it will work with the NV, is this true? Thanks

Also, below are a pic of a type of glue I have used to re-attach the wing covering on a vapor, it seems to work well so far, dries clear and flexible, and another pic on using a rubber band and a short peg to keep my battery on both the NV and the Vapor.

Also, I have used some sort of tube from the fishing department (I think they are used to make leaders) to repair a broken leading edge. I do not have a pic though.
Stalled is offline Find More Posts by Stalled
Old Feb 01, 2012, 10:40 PM
Joined Jul 2011
477 Posts
Ok to get the old motor mount off, the best way is to wittle it off. I take a #11 xacto blade and run it parallel to the carbon rod and work to wittle the bottom piece of plastic off. Once this is done, then you can pry the sides away to loosen it and then it comes right off. When I glue the new one on, I use hot glue and it holds it tight enough for flying but you can get it off later if you need to.

Also the NV motor mount is the same as the vapor
Old Feb 02, 2012, 02:29 AM
Minneapolis MN USA
Joined Jul 2004
100 Posts
Thanks Rocket!! I thought it may take something like that to remove the mount.

Here is a link to the tube/sleeve that I used to repair a NV leading edge. The inside diameter is .040 in, a little large, but I just slipped the ends of the broken piece into each end with some gorilla glue and it worked great.

http://www.academy.com/webapp/wcs/st...-1?N=310009271

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocket_33 View Post
Ok to get the old motor mount off, the best way is to wittle it off. I take a #11 xacto blade and run it parallel to the carbon rod and work to wittle the bottom piece of plastic off. Once this is done, then you can pry the sides away to loosen it and then it comes right off. When I glue the new one on, I use hot glue and it holds it tight enough for flying but you can get it off later if you need to.

Also the NV motor mount is the same as the vapor
Stalled is offline Find More Posts by Stalled
Old Feb 02, 2012, 05:10 AM
Joined Dec 2007
43 Posts
Is it unusual for the NV motor to die within two weeks?

I haven't been using it that much. Before it died, it was getting a little sketchy...not giving full power all the time, cutting out then coming back on...

I ordered a couple of replacement motors.
BlackIce is offline Find More Posts by BlackIce