HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 01, 2011, 07:52 PM
Have fun
Joined May 2007
6,150 Posts
How do you guys glue the champ prop on without it being crooked?
airpower is offline Find More Posts by airpower
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 02, 2011, 05:49 AM
The new guy
Londonderry, NH
Joined Oct 2010
528 Posts
Mine was a close enough fit that it was easily centered on the shaft.
Chris_F is offline Find More Posts by Chris_F
Old Dec 02, 2011, 03:32 PM
Joined Nov 2011
1 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by airpower View Post
It's supposed to be crooked, Its a little bit of down and right to counteract the motor's torque.
WakaWakaMan is offline Find More Posts by WakaWakaMan
Old Dec 02, 2011, 08:52 PM
Power Wheels Guru
Southlake, TX
Joined Jan 2008
7,327 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by airpower View Post
You'd need to use a new champ prop. The hole on a used one is too big.
UNGN is offline Find More Posts by UNGN
Old Dec 02, 2011, 10:36 PM
Have fun
Joined May 2007
6,150 Posts
Okay, I was using one from my sukhoi, will buy a new one!!
airpower is offline Find More Posts by airpower
Old Dec 11, 2011, 03:11 AM
RC addict? I'm not addicted...
Danmark, Midtjylland, Roslev
Joined Jul 2011
1,091 Posts
Loops

I have been successfull in looping the NV indoors. Today the sun is shining and the winds are dead calm, so I'm taking it to the backyard. May actually get some footage

**UPDATE**

Parkzone Night Vapor BNF - outside (crazy flying) 720p (3 min 0 sec)
Nighthawk74 is online now Find More Posts by Nighthawk74
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Nighthawk74; Dec 11, 2011 at 04:35 AM. Reason: **Video footage**
Old Dec 12, 2011, 09:45 PM
If it spins, wear it.
Northern Nevada
Joined Jan 2011
2,259 Posts
I fly mine without the landing gear these days. They pull out real easy and you can put them back anytime you wish. Makes it float better and gives you more aft CG if you want more.
whirlcap is online now Find More Posts by whirlcap
Old Dec 15, 2011, 10:02 AM
Joined Jul 2011
1,091 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by whirlcap View Post
I fly mine without the landing gear these days. They pull out real easy and you can put them back anytime you wish. Makes it float better and gives you more aft CG if you want more.
...and off they come. Thanks for that whirlcap. They were on there pretty tight. Had to pull and turn for awhile.

What an awesome indoors trainer the NV is. Never regretted getting it
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Blade 300 X n00biness
Old Dec 25, 2011, 08:49 PM
Fly it like you stole it!
United States, VA, Purcellville
Joined Aug 2009
746 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by whirlcap View Post
One of my landing gears broke off a a few months ago, so I went ahead and took the other off. Discovered that it flies tons better without them quite by accident.
ODUsurfer is offline Find More Posts by ODUsurfer
Old Dec 26, 2011, 12:36 AM
If it spins, wear it.
Northern Nevada
Joined Jan 2011
2,259 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ODUsurfer View Post
One of my landing gears broke off a a few months ago, so I went ahead and took the other off. Discovered that it flies tons better without them quite by accident.
That was how I found out too. Snapped one off right at the base and I couldn't get a new set at the local shop, out of stock. So, I took off the other one while I waited a week for the new set. After flying for a week that way, I put the new set on and after just a couple flights, I took them off. I still fly with original battery size too, just floats so nice and slow that way and I get a easy ten minutes of flight. I have three batteries and that's plenty of time for me in the front yard. If I want more flying, I grab my Champ and head down the block to the park.
Old Dec 26, 2011, 10:40 AM
HK--Phils.
Joined Dec 2006
898 Posts
But how do you guys land the vapor without the LG? Do you just hand catch it? Don't have a vapor yet but planning to get one.
Btw, is it really a lot slower without the LG? I'm holding to get one cuz someone told me it's too fast for a small indoor area flying, i only have bout 20 sq.mtrs., will that be enough?
heliboy88 is offline Find More Posts by heliboy88
Old Dec 26, 2011, 11:41 AM
If it spins, wear it.
Northern Nevada
Joined Jan 2011
2,259 Posts
Heliboy,
You could catch it but it's not recommended. You could get hurt (very unlikely but I thought I should mention it) I just cut the throttle off and belly it in on my front lawn. Doesn't seem to suffer any damage from any surface I've let it land on since it is hardly moving and carries so little mass. If you have nothing but concrete to land on, I would consider keeping the gear on instead. Your flying area sounds small but if you have some outdoor area you can use when there is no wind, you could get used to flying it in close but being in a constant turn will get tiresome fast I would imagine. A small helicopter might be a better choice in your case. A Scout, a mSR or mCX2 perhaps? You don't mention your experience but from you screen name I'm guessing you already have a heli though. I fly in a 20 x 30 meter area but often climb above the house roof a little and gain a bit more room. My home isn't all that big inside and I don't try to fly mine in my home but have flown in the shop where I work.

However, with the battery slid back and the COG aft, you can keep it slow in high alpha and that will help.
Last edited by whirlcap; Dec 26, 2011 at 11:45 AM. Reason: update
Old Dec 27, 2011, 02:01 PM
Fly it like you stole it!
United States, VA, Purcellville
Joined Aug 2009
746 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by heliboy88 View Post
But how do you guys land the vapor without the LG? Do you just hand catch it? Don't have a vapor yet but planning to get one.
Btw, is it really a lot slower without the LG? I'm holding to get one cuz someone told me it's too fast for a small indoor area flying, i only have bout 20 sq.mtrs., will that be enough?
I just belly land mine in the grass (outside) or on the carpet (inside), it's not heavy enough to break anything.

You do save weight without the LG, but what also makes it floaty is the CG gets shifted back quite a bit without it. You can probably get the same effect by putting the battery farther back.

If you're looking to REALLY make it floaty, it's quite possible. Check the old vapor threads, there's a bunch of weight-saving things you can do to the vapor above just taking the LG off that make it an absolute butterfly. Things like cutting out the ribs under the main wings & replacing the battery tray with a piece of scotch tape, etc. I never wanted to cut mine up like that, but I know it can be done.
ODUsurfer is offline Find More Posts by ODUsurfer
Old Dec 30, 2011, 02:51 AM
Joined Jul 2011
1,091 Posts
The most damage I have done to mine was from flying it indoors (into the clothesline and radiator). Most crashes leave no damage whatsoever =)

After taking the landing gear off, you can just trim the tail, so it is not tail heavy. For slow flying a heavy tail works fine, for fast flying trimming the tail works (IF you have a digital rx).
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Nighthawk74; Dec 30, 2011 at 05:25 AM.
Old Dec 30, 2011, 09:26 PM
If it spins, wear it.
Northern Nevada
Joined Jan 2011
2,259 Posts
The most damage I've done is a low level stall that resulted in a tail slide into the ground, broke the rudder pivot/shaft. I bought a new rudder but I am still flying the repaired one. Bought some .020 music wire (a straight pin is too thick) cut a short piece and hot glued it along the leading edge of the rudder. I used a little blob of hot glue as a retainer. The rudder is formed with a single piece of .020 CF, it will snap off at the hinge if you back it into the ground. My fix is good enough that I'm keeping the new rudder as a spare.