HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 06, 2010, 08:33 PM
Urbana, Ohio
Joined Feb 2008
303 Posts
Just flew my old (200+hr.) Vapor with the TinyBright Lights using an old 70mAh Lipo for over 13 minutes before it quit flying. Flying the same pattern with the Night Vapor with a new 110mAh Lipo, it flew for over 22 minutes. Not bad!

Some of my older batteries may be at fault for the short initial flight times for the Night Vapor. All of my batteries come from Horizon

Tomorrow, I will switch batteries in the Vapors and again record the flight times. May also try a flight with the lights disconnected in the Night Vapor to see the difference in flight times.
twoplanekid is online now Find More Posts by twoplanekid
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 07, 2010, 11:56 AM
United States, CA, Thousand Oaks
Joined Apr 2009
560 Posts
Bought a night vapor yesterday and waited until 11pm last night for complete calm, never happened. Flew it anyway, looks very nice in the dark. Lights are bright. This morning there was less wind, so I gave it a toss, flys nice, maybe a little slower than the regular
Vapor - that's a good thing. All in all I'm very pleased with it. I'll have to wait on better weather conditions to time it. I used to fly my old one 12 minutes and land, never did try longer - no need to, I have a ton of various size batteries. Bob
wslco10 is online now Find More Posts by wslco10
Old Jul 07, 2010, 08:03 PM
Urbana, Ohio
Joined Feb 2008
303 Posts
The Night Vapor flew with the 70mAh battery for a little over 12 minutes before it quit. Then I flew it without the lights for almost 15 minutes. I would want to make many more flights to ensure a qualitative and statistically correct study of Vapor flight durations.

However, I think Iíll let someone else do that!
Old Jul 10, 2010, 11:15 AM
United States, CA
Joined Jul 2010
4,370 Posts
How does the night vapor compare to the vapor? Is the night vapor just a vapor with lights on it? Are the batteries the same?
Cheese5 is online now Find More Posts by Cheese5
Old Jul 10, 2010, 11:43 AM
Up Up and Away!
Joined May 2008
1,933 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheese5 View Post
How does the night vapor compare to the vapor? Is the night vapor just a vapor with lights on it? Are the batteries the same?
battery is a little bit bigger, it has lights and it has easier removable parts

thats about it
lightspeeddud is offline Find More Posts by lightspeeddud
Old Jul 10, 2010, 09:51 PM
Just above a newb
Fort Mill, SC
Joined Sep 2007
756 Posts
I took a few flights with mine the other day right as the sun was going down. I never flew the original Vapor but I've seen a few flown. I was really surprised at how well it flies, it's much more responsive than I expected. It seems to turn, dive, and climb better than the Ember.

The only minor complaint I have is the placement of the lights - I would have preferred the red/green pair to be on the wing's leading edge for orientation and visibility. Once it got dark enough to lose track of the wing it was difficult to determine exactly what the plane was doing. As I said it's really a minor complaint, and otherwise I think it's another hit from PZ.
Wrathchild is offline Find More Posts by Wrathchild
Old Jul 11, 2010, 04:56 PM
Urbana, Ohio
Joined Feb 2008
303 Posts
I love balloon rallies. On Friday evening, the balloons couldn’t fly early because of the winds and could only do the glow thing. I flew the night Vapor for over an hour. Next morning, fog prevented the balloons from flying. I added another hour of Vapor time entertaining the ground crews.

Because a dark cloud lingered over Grimes from 7 to 8 PM on Saturday night, the balloons could only do their glow thing. As over one thousand people were waiting for the balloons to fly or glow, I again got to entertain the crowd with many flights of the night Vapor. I must have flown for more than two hours and well into darkness.

This morning, all of the balloons and the Vapor were in the air. Everyone loved to see the balloons and everyone loved the night Vapor.

Also flew five kids in the Cub for Young Eagle flights. A good time was had by all but especially by me.

All of the Vapor flying took place at the airport and outside! Record for this balloon rally stands at Vapor four and balloons one
Last edited by twoplanekid; Jul 12, 2010 at 07:54 AM.
Old Jul 12, 2010, 05:41 PM
Full Scale Piper Cub Driver
Hinckley, Ohio
Joined Nov 2008
2,447 Posts
Wrinkles in wing covering film

Does anyone know if the wing covering film is heat shrinkable? My new-in-the-box Night Vapor has a few wrinkles and loose covering film on the wing. I would really like to shrink it just enough to make the covering smooth. Would I use a Monokote heat iron or forced hot air?
Piper J3 is online now Find More Posts by Piper J3
Old Jul 12, 2010, 05:43 PM
Foaming at the mouth..
USA, KS, Topeka
Joined Jul 2008
924 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piper J3 View Post
Does anyone know if the wing covering film is heat shrinkable? My new-in-the-box Night Vapor has a few wrinkles and loose covering film on the wing. I would really like to shrink it just enough to make the covering smooth. Would I use a Monokote heat iron or forced hot air?
I don't recommend heating it.. My experience was that the film gets holey very very easily, and if you manage to heat it without burning through, it doesn't seem to heat evenly as evidenced by the warped wing on my original vapor.

~Kev
darksiede is offline Find More Posts by darksiede
Old Jul 12, 2010, 08:51 PM
USA, FL, Winter Haven
Joined May 2006
507 Posts
A few wrinkles is normal and nothing to worry about.
It will not have that stretched smooth finish of monokote as the airframe is to delicate.
Mine had a couple but not near as many as my original vapor.
I flew mine last night for 12 minutes with the stock battery and ended up putting 67ma
back in so I was pretty well done. I notice no difference in the flying quality versus the
original at all. I do like the lighting better than the tinybritelites I had on the first one.
These are much brighter, the 3 white ones in the front of the wing almost blind ya. They
work great to give a reference of when the wings are level. I also like that they changed
the Rx light from orange to blue as it seems to fit the scheme better with the blue tail light.
All in all I am very happy with mine.
Merlin1205 is offline Find More Posts by Merlin1205
Old Jul 12, 2010, 10:20 PM
United States, CA
Joined Jul 2010
4,370 Posts
Interesting, the new vapor has about the same flight time as the original. What battery is the new one using? The website said "3.7V 70mah 14C" is that correct?

Thanks
Cheese5 is online now Find More Posts by Cheese5
Old Jul 13, 2010, 12:59 AM
Hinckley, Ohio
Joined Nov 2008
2,447 Posts
This is Fun...

FedEx delivered my Night Vapor yesterday. Put quick 12 minute flight in at dusk. Just woke up at 1AM and decided to try my hand at night flying on the street in front of the house. What a blast... Repeated the 12 minute earlier flight with no problems. Night orientation was easy. For 2nd flight tonight I moved the battery full forward and this made machine less pitch sensitive and really smoothed it out. Extreme slow flight is now possible with good control. Now it grooves in the turns. This last flight was shortened by rain. Rain drops sound load on the plastic wing covering! Have DX7 timer set for 10 minutes, but extend the flights because plenty of power still available from the supplied PZ 70mAh LiPo. Most of the flying done at less than half throttle. This is too cool... Now I can fly micro RC anytime of the day. 1S micro hanger includes mCX and mSR helicopters, UM J3-Cub, UM P-51D, Ember, (2) 4-Sites, Homemade Dynex, Stevens AeroModel Diddlebug, and now the Night Vapor. Should be good for a while...
Old Jul 13, 2010, 08:19 AM
Airplane Killer
Orange County, CA
Joined Oct 2009
1,710 Posts
Now going a little OT...
Piper, How do you like the Diddlebug? How slow will it fly? What sort of characteristics?
Thanks!
Dave
SumthinsFishy is offline Find More Posts by SumthinsFishy
Old Jul 14, 2010, 03:13 AM
Hinckley, Ohio
Joined Nov 2008
2,447 Posts
Loosing sleep...

Woke up out of sound sleep at 3 AM. First thought was to get dressed and fly the Night Vapor. Just completed two 12 minute flights in the street in front of the house in total darkness. 2nd flight was touch-n-goes. The three white LEDís on the leading edge of the wing provide nice ground illumination when flaring for the landing. This is fun. Iíll be tired at work today.
Old Jul 14, 2010, 03:19 AM
Hinckley, Ohio
Joined Nov 2008
2,447 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SumthinsFishy View Post
Now going a little OT...
Piper, How do you like the Diddlebug? How slow will it fly? What sort of characteristics?
Thanks!
Dave
Dave - The Diddlebug isn't finished assembled yet. I have seen these fly and was impressed with the very smooth flying characteristics. Motor will be UM P51D. I'm going to also build a SA Littlerod later in the season.