HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 06, 2011, 12:12 AM
Joined Dec 2010
34 Posts
I modified the rudder reinforcement from the picture above in post 350. I cut the right (tail in) support and connected it up with the left one about 1/2 down and snipped off the excess. this clears the rudder completely and add a little more support and equal mechanical connection.

I also added a CF support through the rudder, from the lower connection point up to the middle of the curve. This helps keep the rudder at least flat. The metal wire former for the rudder had a joint up at the top where I used some hot glue and it came apart. I knew it was there and held the wires in place while the hot glue cooled. so if you are using hot glue be careful to ensure you hold the wire that forms the rudder shape in place otherwise the whole thing will spring out and you'll have a mess.
plexus is offline Find More Posts by plexus
Last edited by plexus; Aug 08, 2011 at 09:59 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 11, 2011, 08:20 PM
Fly it like you STOL it!
USA, VA, Spotsylvania
Joined Jan 2011
4,003 Posts
Hey, I'm thinking of getting one of these, but the airframe only (http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...rodID=PKZU1170) Can I just throw my spare Champ brick into it and fly?
Endlesslag is offline Find More Posts by Endlesslag
Old Aug 11, 2011, 08:49 PM
United States, IL, Washington
Joined Nov 2008
1,948 Posts
Endless I have a 6400 in my Ember it stretches out the 4 clips but it does fit, should be the same for you.
TODD
I R Irv is offline Find More Posts by I R Irv
Old Aug 11, 2011, 09:26 PM
United States, CT, Glastonbury Center
Joined May 2007
1,441 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Endlesslag View Post
Hey, I'm thinking of getting one of these, but the airframe only (http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...rodID=PKZU1170) Can I just throw my spare Champ brick into it and fly?
You might not be able plug the LEDs in, but it should fly.
telos81 is offline Find More Posts by telos81
Old Aug 11, 2011, 09:28 PM
Fly it like you STOL it!
USA, VA, Spotsylvania
Joined Jan 2011
4,003 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by telos81 View Post
You might not be able plug the LEDs in, but it should fly.
Are they just 2 wires on the 3.7v? If so I can just solder them to the battery connector
Endlesslag is offline Find More Posts by Endlesslag
Old Aug 12, 2011, 12:28 AM
Joined Dec 2010
34 Posts
I am finding the stock landing gear are much to fragile. good idea using CF rod, however its too thin. has anyone found a better alternative for landing gear for the night vapor?
Old Aug 12, 2011, 01:51 AM
Good Times!
Joined Feb 2011
249 Posts
I did the elevator mod, cub motor, 1mm prop adapter w gws 4530. Tested it out Tuesday and love it. I cashed early and had to fly around w 1 landing gear the rest of the afternoon. When I got home I clamped it together with my soldering station and put a drop of zap medium ca+ until it started to set up then wrapped it with black thread and put regular thin ca. The fixed gear is stronger than th regular one now with minimal weight gain.

The power it has now is insane it was doing tight loops with no dive required. I tried to get video. The first 2 had terrible camera angle and when I realized that and fixed it the camera froze up on me. Just stuck with an egg timer on the screen. Had to take the batt out and put it back in. Video wouldn't convert after that. I'm going to try to get it again in the morning but I'll be outdoors so only if its perfect out.
Micro Budget is offline Find More Posts by Micro Budget
Old Aug 12, 2011, 04:13 AM
The new guy
Londonderry, NH
Joined Oct 2010
528 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by plexus View Post
I am finding the stock landing gear are much to fragile. good idea using CF rod, however its too thin. has anyone found a better alternative for landing gear for the night vapor?
I think the problem is the stress concentration where the landing gear meets the plastic part that snaps in to the frame. That's where mine always break. I ran a bead of epoxy around that junction and so far so good, hasn't broken yet.
Chris_F is offline Find More Posts by Chris_F
Old Aug 12, 2011, 04:23 AM
Good Times!
Joined Feb 2011
249 Posts
yeah thats exactly where mine broke
Micro Budget is offline Find More Posts by Micro Budget
Old Aug 12, 2011, 12:50 PM
Joined Dec 2010
34 Posts
I've tried epoxy and gorilla glue, but they still break. I'm wondering about rebuilding them with 0.5mm rod. i might give that a try this weekend.
Old Aug 12, 2011, 03:01 PM
In the 20' glider range
Boise, Idaho
Joined Jul 2009
4,503 Posts
Toilet paper and CA
Baking soda and Ca also work good.
anti-gravity is offline Find More Posts by anti-gravity
Old Aug 12, 2011, 03:21 PM
Joined Dec 2010
34 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by anti-gravity View Post
Toilet paper and CA
Baking soda and Ca also work good.
Used or unused toilet paper?
Old Aug 12, 2011, 03:55 PM
In the 20' glider range
Boise, Idaho
Joined Jul 2009
4,503 Posts
We will let you decide that one
anti-gravity is offline Find More Posts by anti-gravity
Old Aug 12, 2011, 08:38 PM
I used to like trees
United States, WA, Spokane
Joined Jul 2011
288 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by plexus View Post
Used or unused toilet paper?
It depends on whether or not you want a crappy repair job
rchank is offline Find More Posts by rchank
Old Aug 12, 2011, 09:23 PM
Joined Dec 2010
34 Posts
I just built some replacement landing gear out of 2mm solid CF and for the axel I used the stock 0.5mm or whatever it is. I drilled through the 2mm so the axel would be through them. Then I reinforced with string then soaked in flexible CA. I also reinforced the fuselage where the landing gear go in with thread/CA. I will post pics. I am going to take it out later for a test flight on the pavement and report back if this works or not. it should be possible to make your own landing gear this way after finding a supply of little wheels. i may speak too soon, but I am hoping no more to be bound by HH and my LHS for these. the stock ones are just too fragile in my opinion.

I also added a 0.5mm CF strut running vertically from the landing gear shaft up to an additional strut I added that connects the wing to the fuselage. this transfers stress from the landing gear into the wing/fuselage which helps with longevity.

I test flew/crashed it many times last night on the road and it held up great! Pics to come.
Last edited by plexus; Aug 13, 2011 at 02:31 PM.