to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 30, 2011, 12:48 PM
The new guy
Londonderry, NH
Joined Oct 2010
528 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by I R Irv View Post
Your correct here's the mod I did to stop the diving problem. This Vapor has a ball bearing gearbox, J3 Cub motor, 5030 carbon fiber prop and a Hyperion 70 cell. This combo puts out a ton of thrust and I can run it full throttle. At full throttle it will pull up and to the right with no stick input. Big loops and big circles are easy now at full throttle,also modded to do tight loops and turns. To me this is the ultimate 3-CH plane and I'll never go back to a stock one.
TODD
Thanks, I'm going to try that.
Chris_F is offline Find More Posts by Chris_F
Old Jul 30, 2011, 02:15 PM
Joined May 2011
62 Posts
Quote:
Your correct here's the mod I did to stop the diving problem. This Vapor has a ball bearing gearbox, J3 Cub motor, 5030 carbon fiber prop and a Hyperion 70 cell. This combo puts out a ton of thrust and I can run it full throttle. At full throttle it will pull up and to the right with no stick input. Big loops and big circles are easy now at full throttle,also modded to do tight loops and turns. To me this is the ultimate 3-CH plane and I'll never go back to a stock one.
TODD
I R is that just a stiff wire? Can you post the link to the prop you're using? I've got the J-3 motor as well and have all but given up on using anything but the stock prop because of the uncontrolled diving. I'd like to do this mod as well and see what happens!
alpinesandtoys is offline Find More Posts by alpinesandtoys
Old Jul 30, 2011, 03:11 PM
The new guy
Londonderry, NH
Joined Oct 2010
528 Posts
Just tried the elevator stiffening mod. I used a piece of thin carbon rod (remnants of a crashed 4-site) and no more uncontrolled diving at any speed, at any throttle setting. Stock motor, 4-site prop. Previously I had the uncontrolled diving at full throttle and/or high speeds.

At any speeds now it's much more controllable. In fact, I think this mod would be advisable for people with the stock Vapor as well. Mine will now fly in much more wind than before.
Old Jul 30, 2011, 03:52 PM
Good Times!
Joined Feb 2011
249 Posts
What did you do to get a 4site prop on the smaller shaft?
Micro Budget is offline Find More Posts by Micro Budget
Old Jul 30, 2011, 04:12 PM
United States, IL, Washington
Joined Nov 2008
1,956 Posts
Alpine I used .5mm carbon rod. I don't know if you guys now this but if you heat the carbon rod it will bend. I heated up a large needle held it against the rod and bent it in an L shape on both ends, put one end through the top hole in the horn and the other end I melted a tiny hole in the film with the same needle and tied it to the elevator with thread and CAed it. The prop and adapter are in post 322 but he's out of the props and I don't know where else to get them in the US.

Chris makes for a hole new plane doesn't it.
TODD
I R Irv is online now Find More Posts by I R Irv
Last edited by I R Irv; Jul 30, 2011 at 04:17 PM.
Old Jul 30, 2011, 04:21 PM
United States, IL, Washington
Joined Nov 2008
1,956 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Micro Budget View Post
Do you have any .8mm shrink tube? You can also try different sizes of wire insulation.
TODD
I R Irv is online now Find More Posts by I R Irv
Old Jul 30, 2011, 05:17 PM
The new guy
Londonderry, NH
Joined Oct 2010
528 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Micro Budget View Post
Fill the larger hole with epoxy, coat the shaft with epoxy, slide it on and wait for it to cure.
Old Jul 30, 2011, 05:19 PM
The new guy
Londonderry, NH
Joined Oct 2010
528 Posts
Quote:
Chris makes for a hole new plane doesn't it.
TODD
Oh yeah. It's wicked fast now. And precise, yet it slows down to a crawl just like before. Got a J3 motor to try once the stock one dies.
Old Jul 31, 2011, 07:51 AM
Good Times!
Joined Feb 2011
249 Posts
BOOM
Indoor test on tuesday hopefully with video
Old Jul 31, 2011, 09:54 AM
The new guy
Londonderry, NH
Joined Oct 2010
528 Posts
If you don't have carbon I suspect a thread tied from the outermost hole on the control arm to the back of the elevator would work since the "dive" would be caused by a deflection downward and thus the support is loaded in tension during these "uncontrolled dives". It may not be quite as precise as a carbon rod but should prevent the dive problem.
Old Jul 31, 2011, 12:42 PM
Good Times!
Joined Feb 2011
249 Posts
Guess I should have had more light in that picture
Last edited by Micro Budget; Jul 31, 2011 at 01:33 PM.
Old Jul 31, 2011, 09:40 PM
Joined May 2011
62 Posts
I used fishing line on mine and a little dab of hot glue to keep the knot from unraveling....really helped out with the diving issue but I think I need to tighten the line a bit or use a stiff rod.

alpinesandtoys is offline Find More Posts by alpinesandtoys
Old Aug 01, 2011, 06:06 AM
The new guy
Londonderry, NH
Joined Oct 2010
528 Posts
I did find a max airspeed with the stiftening mod. If you go WAY high up and dive at full throttle eventually it goes in to an uncontrollable spin, I think either the other unsupported side of the elevator is flexing, or the rudder. Anyway, no big deal since it's really hard to reach a speed fast enough to be a problem.
Old Aug 03, 2011, 12:18 AM
Joined Dec 2010
34 Posts
Hey guys. I just got a Night Vapor last friday. I've run maybe 10 batteries through it. I love flying at night! tonight it was really crapping out on me. i would throttle up and the prop would need a nudge to spin. has my motor gone bad?

If so, is that how much life these motors have? at about 20 mins a battery thats around 3 hours of flying. is that it?

I bought a spare however. a J-3 spare. I understood from the forums that this was a good mod. I haven't put it in yet, I just got back from flying. So let me know what you think. I am sure its the motor but am concerned about the lifetime of these motors. what kind of flight time have you been getting on your stock motors?
plexus is offline Find More Posts by plexus