HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 10, 2011, 05:42 PM
Joined May 2011
62 Posts
Tom, is that with a stock Vapor prop or the 4-site?
alpinesandtoys is offline Find More Posts by alpinesandtoys
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 13, 2011, 11:34 PM
Joined May 2011
62 Posts
So here's a picture of three props...from left to right, the stock Vapor prop, then a 4-site/champ prop and one of three different props I got with a prop saver kit from RC Fun labs. This was the largest/closest prop to the vapor prop out of the three.

As I've posted before, I've had some really poor Vapor replacement props, some that can't even give me enough thrust (and I've got the J-3 replacement motor) to get the plane off the ground! I've emails parkzone about this and they haven't answered yet.

Then I tried the 4-site prop and had uncontrollable dive issues as other's have had as well. As long as the plane is climbing or level, it'll fly fine, as soon as you nose down the plane goes into an uncontrollable (unless you have enough altitude) dive.

So I put the new RC Fun labs prop on and I'm getting the same results that I get with the 4-site prop, uncontrolled dives. I do have my wing mounts hot glued so they don't move and I'm pushing the battery as far away from the front as I can. Climbs great, plenty of power....just can't figure out why the plane goes into these dives unless you use the stock prop! If the stock props didn't SUCK so bad for quality control, it wouldn't be a problem.

Here's the three props that come with the prop saver kit. Haven't tried the other two yet as I crushed the motor mount and need to replace it.

Old Jul 14, 2011, 05:31 AM
ARFs Are Me
Traverse City, Michigan
Joined Dec 2005
11,888 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by alpinesandtoys View Post
Tom, is that with a stock Vapor prop or the 4-site?
It's the stock Vapor prop.
TomCrump is offline Find More Posts by TomCrump
Old Jul 14, 2011, 11:58 PM
Joined May 2011
62 Posts
The owner of RC Fun Lab, Dylan, got back to me right away. He said his props make the Vapor fly much faster then stock and he thinks when the plan starts nosing down, the elevator can't handle the speed/pressure and basically lets go and takes it into a dive. He said it's just not designed to fly that fast. I probably am just exasperating the problem with the J-3 motor.....so I'll try and make sure I'm really turning down on the power during level or nose down flight and only use the extra power for climbing. I might also try the smaller props and see if I have better luck with them.
Old Jul 15, 2011, 12:16 PM
The new guy
Londonderry, NH
Joined Oct 2010
528 Posts
Not so sure if it's the servo giving out. If you press down on the elevator you'll notice that you have to press dangerously hard on it, and it flexes quite a bit. I've not had the courage to try and back-drive the servo by pressing on the elevator hard enough but it will certainly flex enough to affect flight I think.
Chris_F is offline Find More Posts by Chris_F
Old Jul 18, 2011, 02:53 PM
Houston, TX, US
Joined Jun 2000
1,652 Posts
A quick check on the hourly wind forecast at weather.gov showed 2mph winds for several hours late this morning. I hadn't flown the night vapor in awhile so time to try it as a morning vapor.

The wind proved to be as forecast so I had a great time cruising around with the sun out. I got in close to an hour of flight time so it gave me a chance to fine-tune the trim. I'd forgotten how much fun the Vapor is for slow cruising.
DaveG is offline Find More Posts by DaveG
Old Jul 18, 2011, 06:49 PM
Joined Feb 2008
1,321 Posts
In the morning while there is not much traffic I found it fun to fly up and down the street in my subdivision. My Vapor and I get our cardio workout together. the Vapor flies slow enough I can fly and still watch where I am walking splitting my attention on the plane and what is in front of me. I wouldn't try that with most planes.
e-gull is offline Find More Posts by e-gull
Old Jul 18, 2011, 07:09 PM
Houston, TX, US
Joined Jun 2000
1,652 Posts
LOL. I hadn't thought of that, kind of like walking the dog only more fun.

Looks like the weather is going to cooperate again at dusk so I believe I'll sneak out for some more Vapor time.
Old Jul 18, 2011, 08:28 PM
United States, CT, Glastonbury Center
Joined May 2007
1,441 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by e-gull View Post
In the morning while there is not much traffic I found it fun to fly up and down the street in my subdivision. My Vapor and I get our cardio workout together. the Vapor flies slow enough I can fly and still watch where I am walking splitting my attention on the plane and what is in front of me. I wouldn't try that with most planes.
I do that on my street at night
telos81 is offline Find More Posts by telos81
Old Jul 19, 2011, 06:00 AM
The new guy
Londonderry, NH
Joined Oct 2010
528 Posts
Vapor seems to handle a LOT more wind with the 4Site prop. Not only does it have a ton more power, but it cuts through the wind a lot better because the prop gives a lot less drag. Pull the landing gear off and it actually does pretty well in a decent breeze.
Chris_F is offline Find More Posts by Chris_F
Old Jul 20, 2011, 10:25 AM
I used to like trees
United States, WA, Spokane
Joined Jul 2011
288 Posts
Has anyone had any luck changing the pitch on the stock prop? If so, how did you get it done? I just bought a new PZ prop and the plane has a flight duration of about 5 seconds when hand launched
Only fast taxis ROG
rchank is offline Find More Posts by rchank
Old Jul 20, 2011, 11:08 AM
In the 20' glider range
Boise, Idaho
Joined Jul 2009
4,503 Posts
You can just grab the prop at the very center near the hub and bend it.
I experiment with different pitches..
anti-gravity is offline Find More Posts by anti-gravity
Old Jul 20, 2011, 12:39 PM
Houston, TX, US
Joined Jun 2000
1,652 Posts
The early morning weather continues to be ideal in H-Town. It was dead calm when I headed out to my flying field, a vacant cul-de-sac. I mixed it up this time with the Vapor. Some very low level flights, in the A-10 attack mode and then as the sun was coming up, some U-2 type recon flights where I could catch some very light thermals. I was cautious on the thermal flights since I know it wouldn't take much to sweep the little Vapor away forever. Well over an hour of flying today, before I moved on to test out a DX6i with my T-28. Darn! I left all but one of the T-28's Hyperion batteries at home! After a couple of adrenalin-raising flights (at least compared to the Vapor) with the T-28, it was back to the Vapor.

The weather looks great again tomorrow morning so it'll be time to log a few more flight hours. If I can get my #$$ out of bed early enough, maybe I'll be able to make use of the Night Vapor's LEDs.
Old Jul 21, 2011, 01:36 PM
I used to like trees
United States, WA, Spokane
Joined Jul 2011
288 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by anti-gravity View Post
You can just grab the prop at the very center near the hub and bend it.
I experiment with different pitches..
Thanks for the tip anti-gravity. That works great! I thought the plastic might have to be heated somehow. A bit of twisting did the job. It's amazing what happens when a prop can actually take a bite of the air!

Woo hoo! My Night Vapor's back in the air!
rchank is offline Find More Posts by rchank
Old Jul 21, 2011, 06:48 PM
In the 20' glider range
Boise, Idaho
Joined Jul 2009
4,503 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rchank View Post
Thanks for the tip anti-gravity. That works great! I thought the plastic might have to be heated somehow. A bit of twisting did the job. It's amazing what happens when a prop can actually take a bite of the air!

Woo hoo! My Night Vapor's back in the air!
I thought that to! But it seems as just bending it worked great.

Is it just me or does anyobody else think that maybe Horizon Hobby needs to actually check their so called "quality check".

I don't mind paying for a $3 Master Airscrew prop, because I know it is going to be a prop. Not some cheaply made piece of junk.
my 0.02
anti-gravity is offline Find More Posts by anti-gravity