HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 26, 2011, 09:26 PM
Joined Feb 2008
1,321 Posts
My Night Vapor is stock and it can hover and slowly pull out vertically. From cruising slowly it can turn up and go unlimited vertical at a slow pace, but faster than pull out from a hover. I am using the E-flite 150mAh batteries. I hope I can get a new motor and prop that are as good when I need to replace them.
e-gull is offline Find More Posts by e-gull
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 26, 2011, 10:37 PM
Power Wheels Guru
Southlake, TX
Joined Jan 2008
7,327 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by e-gull View Post
My Night Vapor is stock and it can hover and slowly pull out vertically. From cruising slowly it can turn up and go unlimited vertical at a slow pace, but faster than pull out from a hover. I am using the E-flite 150mAh batteries. I hope I can get a new motor and prop that are as good when I need to replace them.
You'll probably have to go J-3 motor. I have had 5 or 6 vapors and only one could do what you describe with the stock motor.
UNGN is offline Find More Posts by UNGN
Old Jun 28, 2011, 02:13 AM
Joined May 2011
62 Posts
I just went through three brand new vapor props, all junk, no thrust. Two couldn't hardly keep the plane airborne and I have the J-3 motor on it!

I also tried the 4-site prop and couldn't get it to stop doing uncontrolled dives... It would do vertical climbs and move way to fast for the frame, but at a certain down angle it would go into a vertical dive that I couldn't pull out of! Is your Vapor doing that at all?
alpinesandtoys is offline Find More Posts by alpinesandtoys
Old Jun 28, 2011, 07:14 AM
Power Wheels Guru
Southlake, TX
Joined Jan 2008
7,327 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by alpinesandtoys View Post
I also tried the 4-site prop and couldn't get it to stop doing uncontrolled dives... It would do vertical climbs and move way to fast for the frame, but at a certain down angle it would go into a vertical dive that I couldn't pull out of! Is your Vapor doing that at all?
That sounds like a weak elevator servo, or the Elevator hinge pin is broken.

The thrust can blow the front of the elevator up, causing a steep dive, but the servo sould be able to bring it back down.
UNGN is offline Find More Posts by UNGN
Old Jun 28, 2011, 08:12 AM
The new guy
Londonderry, NH
Joined Oct 2010
528 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by alpinesandtoys View Post
Oh yeah, it does that. Don't fly that fast.

That's what I mean by "it will fly faster than the airframe will support". The prop doesn't have enough drag to slow it down once you hit that speed so chopping the throttle won't save you, unless you have a lot of altitude. A strong left or right rudder may pull you out, but it's simply best not to go that fast. You'll notice that it doesn't snap downward right away, it starts nosing down and gets gradually worse and if you counter the downward movement with up elevator you won't notice it until it's too late. Best to cut the throttle as soon as it starts to nose down. Note, this happens at a MUCH higher airpseed than the stock Vapor is capable of.
Chris_F is offline Find More Posts by Chris_F
Old Jun 28, 2011, 04:59 PM
United States, IL, Washington
Joined Nov 2008
1,943 Posts
I can only use full throttle when looping. If you have enough thrust to power through multiple loops then front and rear main wing supports help considerably.
TODD
I R Irv is online now Find More Posts by I R Irv
Old Jun 28, 2011, 05:01 PM
In the 20' glider range
Boise, Idaho
Joined Jul 2009
4,503 Posts
how do you like your brushless conversion?
anti-gravity is offline Find More Posts by anti-gravity
Old Jun 28, 2011, 05:01 PM
United States, CT, Glastonbury Center
Joined May 2007
1,441 Posts
Cool supports! What prop is that?
telos81 is offline Find More Posts by telos81
Old Jun 28, 2011, 05:17 PM
United States, IL, Washington
Joined Nov 2008
1,943 Posts
I love the brushless motor but some think it's overkill, not necessary and not what the Vapors meant for.

81 it's a 5030 carbon fiber prop.
TODD
I R Irv is online now Find More Posts by I R Irv
Old Jun 28, 2011, 06:22 PM
United States, CT, Glastonbury Center
Joined May 2007
1,441 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by I R Irv View Post
I love the brushless motor but some think it's overkill, not necessary and not what the Vapors meant for.

81 it's a 5030 carbon fiber prop.
TODD
That prop looks awesome
telos81 is offline Find More Posts by telos81
Old Jun 28, 2011, 10:38 PM
In the 20' glider range
Boise, Idaho
Joined Jul 2009
4,503 Posts
Do you have a link to a build thread for this?
About how much money...
anti-gravity is offline Find More Posts by anti-gravity
Old Jun 29, 2011, 12:56 AM
Joined May 2011
62 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_F View Post
Oh yeah, it does that. Don't fly that fast.

That's what I mean by "it will fly faster than the airframe will support". The prop doesn't have enough drag to slow it down once you hit that speed so chopping the throttle won't save you, unless you have a lot of altitude. A strong left or right rudder may pull you out, but it's simply best not to go that fast. You'll notice that it doesn't snap downward right away, it starts nosing down and gets gradually worse and if you counter the downward movement with up elevator you won't notice it until it's too late. Best to cut the throttle as soon as it starts to nose down. Note, this happens at a MUCH higher airpseed than the stock Vapor is capable of.

crap...going to have to try this again then. Have you tried any other props that work better than the UM 4-Site? I hate the uncontrolled dives but will try slowing down...I just seem to remember no matter what speed I was traveling at, it would dive on me and I couldn't pull out.
Old Jun 29, 2011, 04:28 AM
The new guy
Londonderry, NH
Joined Oct 2010
528 Posts
Check your main wing. Mine was flying funny and when I checked the wing the two mounts had broken free and were sliding on the stick-body. They had slid too close together and had "buckled" the support in the middle. Mine was doing the dive thing at any speed which is when I discovered the motor mount flex. My motor mount had cracked (probably long before I put the prop on) and under power would give more and more down thrust. I simpy reinforced it with epoxy. Now the uncontrolable dives only happen at speeds much higher than a Vapor should be flying.

I've not tired other props however I think it would be worthwhile. The 4-Site prop seems too much, so something between stock and a 4-Site would be good. I'm using the stock motor so I think it renders the J-3 motor upgrade a bit moot, you can get plenty of power right from the stock motor with a prop change.
Chris_F is offline Find More Posts by Chris_F
Old Jul 09, 2011, 05:56 PM
Joined May 2011
62 Posts
I just ordered a set of these props....I'll let you know if I still get the uncontrolled dives! I also found that the wing mount was loose, but it didn't go back very far. I hot glued it so it wont move. I've got hot glue on the motor mount and landing gear at the breaking points for extra support

http://store.rcfunlab.com/ProductDet...de=prs-prp-vpr

Old Jul 10, 2011, 04:08 PM
Hamburger Eatin' Fool
Traverse City, Michigan
Joined Dec 2005
11,214 Posts
I'll have to check my motor mount. The uncontrolled dives are becoming quite frequent.

I bought a replacement prop that would barely fly the model. I twisted more pitch into it, and the model flies much better, that is, until it dives uncontrolably.
TomCrump is online now Find More Posts by TomCrump