SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jun 20, 2011, 09:00 PM
USA, MD, Hagerstown
Joined Jun 2009
3,314 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by telos81 View Post
It's amazing how much abuse these little things can take ... I've chucked frisbees and footballs at it to get it out of trees like this ...
No kidding. For something that looks like it would break just by me looking at it this thing is a tank. After my experience with the UM J3 I figured I would never own another micro. Well, I won this one Saturday at a club event and I have to confess I just can't get enough of it.
It's been in two of the tees in my front yard, bounced it off my car, the corner of the house, myself and it just keeps going.
Now the only problem is I can't get anything else done. According to my timer on the radio I have almost 4hrs on this one since SAturday at about 9pm.
V2rider is offline Find More Posts by V2rider
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 20, 2011, 09:06 PM
Joined Feb 2008
1,321 Posts
The weatherman forcasted showers off and on. This evening I was lucky to catch a dry period and flew three flights with my 3DHS Edge at the AMA field. Packed up and two minutes later a shower. A little later looked out the window at sundown and all looks well. Got out the Night Vapor and flew. It was light enough the lights really showed up and light enough I could see the trees and bushes well enough. So even though they forcasted a rainy day, it was an excellent day for me.
e-gull is offline Find More Posts by e-gull
Old Jun 20, 2011, 09:50 PM
In the 20' glider range
Boise, Idaho
Joined Jul 2009
4,503 Posts
Neighbor came out last night to sing along with his guitar. I seized the opportunity, and flew the vapor to some tunes.
Hoping to fly it tonight when it gets really dark
anti-gravity is offline Find More Posts by anti-gravity
Old Jun 20, 2011, 10:24 PM
United States, CT, Glastonbury Center
Joined May 2007
1,441 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by V2rider View Post
No kidding. For something that looks like it would break just by me looking at it this thing is a tank. After my experience with the UM J3 I figured I would never own another micro. Well, I won this one Saturday at a club event and I have to confess I just can't get enough of it.
It's been in two of the tees in my front yard, bounced it off my car, the corner of the house, myself and it just keeps going.
Now the only problem is I can't get anything else done. According to my timer on the radio I have almost 4hrs on this one since SAturday at about 9pm.
Wow! Congrats and welcome to the club :-)

It honestly might be my favorite plane. It definitely gets the most flight time because I can fly it in the street right in front of my house. Any other planes require leaving the house ...

I flew for a while after dark tonight. It's really dark in front of my house and it looks so cool in the air. Some of the young kids from next door were playing while their mom watered the roses, they thought it was amazing and couldn't figure out what it was at first.

Just got a DX7 - it's made my confidence level go through the roof! I flew it waaay down my street ... Probably 4 or 5 houses down, turned it around and flew back. First time I've done that - I am going to try and go a little further every night I think (I live on a dead-end). It flies soooo much better with a decent controller too. This new generation of ultra micros are just amazing - but you wouldn't know it with the crappy RTF TXs they come with.
telos81 is offline Find More Posts by telos81
Old Jun 20, 2011, 10:34 PM
Joined Feb 2008
1,321 Posts
I enjoyed taking it for a walk. I flew over the front yards and road ahead of myself as I walked down the block and across the street. I did it when there was hardly any traffic or people around.
Old Jun 20, 2011, 11:57 PM
USA, MD, Hagerstown
Joined Jun 2009
3,314 Posts
Quote:
Wow! Congrats and welcome to the club :-)

It honestly might be my favorite plane. It definitely gets the most flight time because I can fly it in the street right in front of my house. Any other planes require leaving the house ...

I flew for a while after dark tonight. It's really dark in front of my house and it looks so cool in the air. Some of the young kids from next door were playing while their mom watered the roses, they thought it was amazing and couldn't figure out what it was at first.

Just got a DX7 - it's made my confidence level go through the roof! I flew it waaay down my street ... Probably 4 or 5 houses down, turned it around and flew back. First time I've done that - I am going to try and go a little further every night I think (I live on a dead-end). It flies soooo much better with a decent controller too. This new generation of ultra micros are just amazing - but you wouldn't know it with the crappy RTF TXs they come with.
I did the same this time around and bound this one to my DX8. Furthest I have had it is about 100yds, but it was showing no signs of signal loss. I may have to give the little cub another try bound to the 8. Have to replace a broken prop shaft first though. Funny how I have flown this one into all kinds of stuff and no damage. The cub had a prop strike on a trig in the driveway and breaks a shaft. I was flying the vapor in the parking garage at work tonight doing figure eights around the support pillars, till I run smack into one. Scratches on the prop, but no breaks. Of course I get home and it's raining here. Should have hung out at work and flew in the garage for another hour.
V2rider is offline Find More Posts by V2rider
Old Jun 22, 2011, 10:07 AM
United States, PA, Nottingham
Joined Aug 2009
506 Posts
Had the night vapor for almost a year

And it's the plane I fly the most! My Son is home on leave from the Marines. He decides last night to give it a try. I told him rudder, throttle and elevator and he launches it, he gets some altitude, and ask if it will do loops. before I can say anything, he's in a full speed dive towards the ground, pulls full up elevator at the last minute and it does a perfect loop. He flew it with amazing skill. He had the vapor doing all kinds of super neat to watch tricks. Things I never thought it was capable of. I told he that he is a natural. Unbelievable skill for his first flight! Just amazing!! Will have to order him one, and have it sent to his address in Miramar. Will try and get some video and pics tonight
billd76 is offline Find More Posts by billd76
Old Jun 22, 2011, 10:30 AM
Joined May 2007
1,441 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by billd76 View Post
And it's the plane I fly the most! My Son is home on leave from the Marines. He decides last night to give it a try. I told him rudder, throttle and elevator and he launches it, he gets some altitude, and ask if it will do loops. before I can say anything, he's in a full speed dive towards the ground, pulls full up elevator at the last minute and it does a perfect loop. He flew it with amazing skill. He had the vapor doing all kinds of super neat to watch tricks. Things I never thought it was capable of. I told he that he is a natural. Unbelievable skill for his first flight! Just amazing!! Will have to order him one, and have it sent to his address in Miramar. Will try and get some video and pics tonight
that's a great story! thanks for sharing!

yes, it's definitely capable of some impressive acrobatics. loops from level flight, inverted loops - if you are really good you can even fly inverted for short distances. it can also do some nice cork-screw spins and with a fresh battery it should be able to do prop hangs.
Old Jun 22, 2011, 07:27 PM
Ian
Joined Dec 2008
31 Posts
Quote:
that's a great story! thanks for sharing!

yes, it's definitely capable of some impressive acrobatics. loops from level flight, inverted loops - if you are really good you can even fly inverted for short distances. it can also do some nice cork-screw spins and with a fresh battery it should be able to do prop hangs.
Mine flies inverted really well on its own, which I can't quite figure out. Upside down it still has quite a bit of anhedral, but it will fly hands-off inverted for about 3 seconds. It actually takes a pretty hefty rudder deflection to get it to roll out. I can't really do level loops with a freshly charged 70mAh or 150 mAh though. It just kind of runs out of steam before it inverts, and stalls out of the sky.
iCurtis is offline Find More Posts by iCurtis
Old Jun 23, 2011, 01:00 AM
Joined May 2011
62 Posts
I good prop makes a HUGE difference on the power of these planes. I've had new props that could barely keep the plane off the ground...
alpinesandtoys is offline Find More Posts by alpinesandtoys
Old Jun 23, 2011, 06:40 AM
Joined May 2007
1,441 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by alpinesandtoys View Post
I good prop makes a HUGE difference on the power of these planes. I've had new props that could barely keep the plane off the ground...
There are so many factors ... prop certainly is one. But the prop also has to be well balanced, the age of the flight battery, the age of the motor, the integrity of the gear on the prop shaft, the number os crashes and repairs (my old Vapor had a lot of glue on the wings - heh), and the center of gravity - it will loop better if the CG is a bit towards the tail
Old Jun 23, 2011, 10:37 AM
Joined Feb 2008
1,321 Posts
I got mine to hover and pull out. It is fun to have it hang in the air in front of you too. In a 1 or 3 MPH wind just adjust the throttle so the airspeed is cancelled out by the wind so no ground speed and it will hang in the air and you can walk around it.

Here is a video to show a three channel plane hovering and it was not made for 3D.

Parkzone Radian Hover and Slow-flight (3 min 19 sec)

This video gave me a new view on hovering. The NV can harrier and hover like in the video easy.
Old Jun 25, 2011, 10:09 PM
Joined Feb 2008
1,321 Posts
Flew my big planes at the park this morning. Tonight the wind calmed down and time for flying a relaxing flight with the Vapor. Did a lot of touch and goes on the driveway. For a change of pace did some crosswind landings crabbing in the wind toward the landing spot and straighten out as it was about to touchdown, then fullpower and up she goes. Very relaxing after trying various 3D in the park.
Old Jun 26, 2011, 08:39 AM
The new guy
Londonderry, NH
Joined Oct 2010
528 Posts
I had a spare UM 4-site prop kickin' around so I glued it on to the Night Vapor shaft and... huge difference. The plane doesn't quite have unlimited vertical but it can hover. And boy does it get up and move. It maintains altitude at about 1/4 throttle, whereas before it took 3/4 throttle to do the same.

Small problem though: the thrust was enough to break the motor mount. It didn't break cleanly but it cracked and has a lot of flex in it now. Under full throttle the plane noses violently down. so I reinforced it with epoxy. I wished I had done it a bit differently, removing the mount from the plane because now I'm concerned I'll never get it off to change it. Oh well, live and learn.

If the newly reinforced motor mount works though this may be the hot setup: stock motor, reinforced mount, 4-site prop.
Chris_F is offline Find More Posts by Chris_F
Old Jun 26, 2011, 09:22 AM
The new guy
Londonderry, NH
Joined Oct 2010
528 Posts
Update: With stock motor and UM 4-site prop it will absolutely do unlimited vertical with a wimpy 120mAh Eflite battery. The key was reinforcing the motor mount. You can go from slow, straight and level flight and do either outside or inside loops just by punching the throttle and yanking the stick. It used to only loop if you got up some speed in a dive.

A word of warning: it will now fly faster than the airframe will support. If you gun it and let it pick up speed it eventually wants to nose down as the airframe itself flexes (I'm assuming main wing). With the stock prop even in a straight down full throttle dive it never got that fast, now it will go that fast flying straight and level. It's a beast!

On the plus, plus side, at low throttle it handles exactly the same as it did before, same mild manners, same floaty feel. I think I'm going to program my Tx so I have one setting for full throttle nightmare and one setting for partial throttle cruising. I'll probably reduce throttle throw to maybe 50% to get it to feel like stock. At 100% it's a monster, a wonderful monster.

I wonder how long the motor and mechanicals will last with this much stress? I've already had to repair the wing after a full speed dive followed by a tight loop, tore the plastic and I had to tape it. Have to be conscious now of staying within the plane's envelope as it absolutely can fly far too fast.
Chris_F is offline Find More Posts by Chris_F
Last edited by Chris_F; Jun 26, 2011 at 09:27 AM.