SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jun 15, 2011, 08:10 AM
United States, CT, Glastonbury Center
Joined May 2007
1,441 Posts
I flew it after dark last night ... Amazing! It looks so cool!

There are no street lights near my house, so it's quite dark. The LEDs are very well designed, I never lost orientation at all. Since I've been flying the Vapor for years, I moved the control surface linkages to the closest position - makes her a very nimble bird!

I have some larger lipos from other planes (120-160 mAh) has anyone tried flying one of these with the larger batteries? Does the extra weight make a significant difference?
telos81 is offline Find More Posts by telos81
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 15, 2011, 10:17 AM
The new guy
Londonderry, NH
Joined Oct 2010
528 Posts
I think the larger batteries help with wind penetration. The plane is a little heavier but it's really only noticeable when flying at the edge of stall. It seems to track straighter with the heavier battery. Still, I typically fly with the lighter battery as it gives a wider envelope.

Try taking the landing gear off (pulls right out). That gives it some really nice wind penetration.
Chris_F is offline Find More Posts by Chris_F
Old Jun 15, 2011, 09:45 PM
Joined Feb 2008
1,321 Posts
I dont notice much difference between the 70 and 150 mAh batteries. For the 70 mAh i set the timer for 12 minutes and the 150 mAh batteries I set the timer for 21 minutes.
e-gull is offline Find More Posts by e-gull
Old Jun 17, 2011, 09:39 PM
Joined Feb 2008
1,321 Posts
One thing I need to try is a vertical climb with the 70 and 150 mAh batteries. I did some vertical climbs with the 150 mAh batteries and climbed 30 feet rising like a helium balloon. I wonder if the 70 mAh batteries would allow it to climb better with the lighter weight or if the current available would make it climb slower? It would of climbed higher but I decided to stop the climb. It wasn't even slowing up. Maybe as the motor and batteries age that sort of climb will be history. E-flite battery and original motor and prop.
Old Jun 18, 2011, 05:50 AM
The new guy
Londonderry, NH
Joined Oct 2010
528 Posts
My Night Vapor is a wildlife magnet. About a week or so I was flying at dusk and got checked out by a bat (came within inches). Yesterday I was flying in my yard and got buzzed by a red tailed hawk! That one could have done some real damage. Thankfully the hawk saw me and bugged out before snatching the Vapor from the skies. I doubt I would have seen it again. And last night every time I flew over a certain patch of my yard a lone lightning bug lit up. Nature just loves the Night Vapor.
Chris_F is offline Find More Posts by Chris_F
Old Jun 18, 2011, 11:50 AM
Joined May 2011
62 Posts
You must have a special one to do vertical climbs with the stock motor...the only way I've been able to do that is with the J-3 motor
alpinesandtoys is offline Find More Posts by alpinesandtoys
Old Jun 18, 2011, 09:52 PM
Joined Feb 2008
1,321 Posts
I don't mind being lucky! It helps make up fo the times I am not so lucky.
Old Jun 18, 2011, 10:02 PM
Wendell, NC
Joined Jun 2010
1,218 Posts
I can get 15 minutes of full throttle flying on a 160mah battery.
lazor 22 is offline Find More Posts by lazor 22
Old Jun 19, 2011, 12:32 PM
Joined Feb 2008
1,321 Posts
I was flying in the front yard today. Almost totally calm. I fly up between the trees an under them. Today several times I fly by the one tree and ticked the leaves with the prop. I would swoop down under the tree, turn and come up, just barely touch the leaves with the prop. Could heard it. I would continue and fly away.
Old Jun 19, 2011, 03:34 PM
220 221 Whatever it takes
USA, IL, Belleville
Joined Dec 2009
276 Posts
Props for the NV

My Vapor flies the best with the original prop on it. However it (the original prop) is a little scarred from hitting the walls in my unfinished basement during the winter indoor flying sessions!

I bought a couple of PKZ3302 Propeller with Spinner 140mm x 45mm: Vapor/Night props and tried them. with one of them it has no thrust to speak of and won't hardly taxi on a smooth floor in the house much less take off. The other prop is a little better as the Vapor will fly with it but just barely at full throttle. I think the props have been smashed somewhere during shipping storage before I got them and the pitch has been flattened.

Has anyone else had an issue with replacement props??
captdave221 is offline Find More Posts by captdave221
Old Jun 19, 2011, 04:34 PM
ARFs Are Me
Traverse City, Michigan
Joined Dec 2005
11,722 Posts
My replacement prop sucks, too. It'll fly the model, but not nearly as well as the original.

I twisted a little more pitch into it, but haven't flown the model to see how it does.
TomCrump is online now Find More Posts by TomCrump
Old Jun 19, 2011, 05:04 PM
Joined May 2007
1,441 Posts
I just got a DX7! it's awesome and flying the Vapor with it is almost an entirely different experience!

I have the elevator-control arm linkage on the closest hole for the most throw - going Up, the elevator hits the rudder. So I adjusted the Up travel adjust so that it stops before hitting the rudder ...

Then I started setting up the Flap Mix switch so the I could have three elevator positions for different degrees of high Alpha flying ... When I flip the flap mix switch to change the elevator position, then it allows the elevator to go all the way up and hit the rudder again!

Does anyone know if this can be fixed? Can you lower the elevator travel on each flap mix position?
Old Jun 19, 2011, 09:17 PM
Ian
Joined Dec 2008
31 Posts
I bought a Night Vapor a few nights ago, by and large it flies great. One night I was a little too lazy to walk to the nearby field and tried flying it in my nearby parking lot. Whoops...

Wrote up a little more on my blog, but you guys probably already know everything I've discovered on my own.
iCurtis is offline Find More Posts by iCurtis
Old Jun 20, 2011, 12:38 AM
Joined May 2007
1,441 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by iCurtis View Post
I bought a Night Vapor a few nights ago, by and large it flies great. One night I was a little too lazy to walk to the nearby field and tried flying it in my nearby parking lot. Whoops...

Wrote up a little more on my blog, but you guys probably already know everything I've discovered on my own.
It's amazing how much abuse these little things can take ... I've chucked frisbees and footballs at it to get it out of trees like this ...
Old Jun 20, 2011, 09:48 PM
United States, CT
Joined Jan 2011
33 Posts
i have a a reel of nylon rope with a 1-1/4 inch female pipe coupling from the hardware store. it adds a nice weight for flinging the rope up. i retrieved my UMX Cub from about 40 feet up in the tree today, its a pretty cheap setup and it has saved me twice so far...
NitroBobby is offline Find More Posts by NitroBobby