Yes, the cub brick will work.

Chimchim on RCG can fix your fried brick for $25
Oh nice, thanks!
trdsupra88 is offline Find More Posts by trdsupra88
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 03, 2011, 11:38 PM
Joined Feb 2008
1,321 Posts
Modelers tend to mod their models. Parkzone has modified the Vapor making a great plane even more fantastic. What could be done to make it even better? I don't know. It is like a miniature Slow Stick in my opinion. I put ailerons on my Slow Stick, but I don't know if that would be practical with the Vapor. I don't know if another channel could be added and the extra weight might ruin things. Airbrakes seem sort of silly on the Vapor. I flew someones Vapor one evening at a gym and did pylon racing and trail a streamer that was over 30 feet long. The Vapor flew up by the gym ceiling and went in a tornado shape down to the floor. Maybe I will try that outside. Try pylon racing and streamer towing.

Looking through the thread I see others have changed the motor or prop for more power or speed. Maybe when I need to replace the motor due to wearing it out I will think about a more powerful motor or different prop.
e-gull is offline Find More Posts by e-gull
Last edited by e-gull; Jun 03, 2011 at 11:58 PM.
Old Jun 05, 2011, 10:22 AM
Joined Feb 2008
1,321 Posts
I really had a good time already today with my Vapor. Flew for about an hour and a half. I started in the back yard cruising all around and also around the tree. I flew around the side yard where the driveway and patio are. Found the driveway and the street excellent runways. After an hour I found I could sit on the bench in front of my house on a little patio and fly all over my front yard and the street relaxing. It was nice to have such good runways to do touch and goes.
Old Jun 06, 2011, 11:15 PM
United States, CA, San Gabriel
Joined Jan 2008
144 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by e-gull View Post
Modelers tend to mod their models. Parkzone has modified the Vapor making a great plane even more fantastic. What could be done to make it even better? I don't know. It is like a miniature Slow Stick in my opinion. I put ailerons on my Slow Stick, but I don't know if that would be practical with the Vapor. I don't know if another channel could be added and the extra weight might ruin things. Airbrakes seem sort of silly on the Vapor. I flew someones Vapor one evening at a gym and did pylon racing and trail a streamer that was over 30 feet long. The Vapor flew up by the gym ceiling and went in a tornado shape down to the floor. Maybe I will try that outside. Try pylon racing and streamer towing.

Looking through the thread I see others have changed the motor or prop for more power or speed. Maybe when I need to replace the motor due to wearing it out I will think about a more powerful motor or different prop.
I fell in love with the Night Vapor flying it around my living room. I was nervous to take it outside at first due to various wind speeds where I live. Outside it performed beautifully but seemed to lack a little power (of course)

You're right about modelers will mod, and for a very easy mod, I would recommend replacing the stock motor in the Vapor with the J-3 Cub motor. The diameter is the same and will slide right into the gearbox without a hitch. You may have to extend the wires on it to reach the brick (RX) but just that upgrade alone will make flights so much more fun. It will just about do unlimited vertical, yet retain the slow flight characteristics the Vapor was designed for.

Hope this helps.
mxandrews1 is offline Find More Posts by mxandrews1
Old Jun 08, 2011, 08:13 PM
Joined Feb 2008
1,321 Posts
With the J-3 motor are the flight times changed much? With a 150 mAh battery I set the timer for 21 minutes. Plenty of power left so I don't hit the LVC thereby shortening the battery life. With the 70 mAh battery I set the timer for 12 minutes. I know WOT the more powerful motor will use the power faster, but I mean if the Vapor is cruised at slow speed like 1/2 throttle with the original motor. Do you cruise at signicantly less throttle with the J-3 motor?
Old Jun 09, 2011, 01:32 AM
Joined May 2011
62 Posts
I don't notice the time being shortened..but you really can't fly the plane WOT much with the J3 motor except when you're climbing...I'm always half or 1/4 throttle when I'm just cruising around. And the prop makes a HUGE difference was well....the prop quality/consistency for the Vapor's is piss poor at best. I have some props that can barely keep the plane airborn and some that will do almost vertical climbs (with the J3 motor).
alpinesandtoys is offline Find More Posts by alpinesandtoys
Old Jun 09, 2011, 11:14 AM
Joined Feb 2008
1,321 Posts
I have a pretty good prop. The motor will probably last a while then I will put the J3 motor into it. If the motor is like those in my MCX they last about 500 flights.
Old Jun 11, 2011, 11:10 PM
Joined Feb 2008
1,321 Posts
Today I saw one of my neighbors down the street watching me fly the Vapor as he worked on his lawn. I walked over and talked to him. As we were talking I launched the Vapor and we watched it. His dog was having a great time chasing under it. I didn't let it get too low. My neighbor liked the plane. As the battery got low I told him I better fly home so the dog isn't tempted to catch it. I walked across the street and down the block to my house flying the Vapor landing on my driveway. On a calm day it is so easy to walk around and fly the Vapor around the street and front yards. My flying field has grown by leaps and bounds.
Old Jun 13, 2011, 01:35 PM
In the 20' glider range
Boise, Idaho
Joined Jul 2009
4,503 Posts
I am lucky to have a family member work an an elementary school. I will tak the vapor and "walk" it throughout the school.
anti-gravity is offline Find More Posts by anti-gravity
Old Jun 13, 2011, 11:26 PM
Joined Feb 2008
1,321 Posts
It has turned out rather nice with the Night Vapor. Early in the morning or as it turns dark if I check to see if it is calm outside I can get in some flights with the Night Vapor in my front yard. Rather convenient and time saving. Don't have to drive miles or worry if the dog walkers or soccor players are crowding me out of the park.
Old Jun 14, 2011, 04:36 PM
The new guy
Londonderry, NH
Joined Oct 2010
528 Posts
I went out for a little flight with the Night Vapor in my yard yesterday evening and got attacked (or at least checked out) by a bat! The two of us ended up in a vertical rolling scissors headed for the ground until Mr Bat decided to break off the fight since I guess I was too big to fit in his mouth. Lots of fun.
Chris_F is offline Find More Posts by Chris_F
Old Jun 14, 2011, 05:42 PM
Joined Feb 2008
1,321 Posts
Hopefully neither got hurt. I don't think the film covering the Night Vapor would take much abuse.
Old Jun 14, 2011, 07:03 PM
The new guy
Londonderry, NH
Joined Oct 2010
528 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by e-gull View Post
Hopefully neither got hurt. I don't think the film covering the Night Vapor would take much abuse.
Nope, no contact between us and thus no injury. I don't think a Vapor would hurt a bat too much, and I wouldn't be too concerned about damage to the Vapor, it can be fixed.
Chris_F is offline Find More Posts by Chris_F
Old Jun 14, 2011, 10:37 PM
United States, CT, Glastonbury Center
Joined May 2007
1,441 Posts
I got my Night Vapor today!

I've had the first Vapor for a couple years, since it was first released, it's probably my favorite plane. The LEDs are an amazing and very welcome hop-up to the plane! It looks amazing in the air and flies just as well as the first version
telos81 is offline Find More Posts by telos81
Old Jun 15, 2011, 07:45 AM
ARFs Are Me
Traverse City, Michigan
Joined Dec 2005
11,876 Posts
My neighbor's birch tree attacked my Night Vapor, a couple days ago. Both survived without injury.
TomCrump is online now Find More Posts by TomCrump