Hamburger Eatin' Fool
Traverse City, Michigan
Joined Dec 2005
11,209 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by anti-gravity View Post
Best of luck. You will love her!
Thanks !

We have 11mph winds at the moment. Maybe I'll get up early, tomorrow, and do the maiden then.
TomCrump is offline Find More Posts by TomCrump
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 23, 2011, 10:49 PM
Looking4Grass in AZ
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Feb 2011
1,357 Posts
Well I'm also flying a 4Site, so I'll try 1 click and probably immediately go to 2.
Afraidtoregister is offline Find More Posts by Afraidtoregister
Old Apr 25, 2011, 07:02 AM
Hamburger Eatin' Fool
Traverse City, Michigan
Joined Dec 2005
11,209 Posts
I maidened mine, Easter morning. Got in three flights, then another, at dusk.

I usually fly Giant Scale gassers, so I had a learning curve. LOL

The model is a blast to fly, and will definately expand my horizons, and enjoyment of our hobby !
TomCrump is offline Find More Posts by TomCrump
Old May 02, 2011, 12:39 PM
Foam flogger
Roseville, CA
Joined Apr 2009
1,144 Posts
Due to "dad" responsibilities I was only able to get out flying last night at about 7pm. Took the T-28 and Supercub out to the local school. Only managed one pack thru the T-28 before it was too hard to keep track of orientation. Switched to the SC because it's set up for night flying. Ran 4 packs thru her but when I got home I was still looking for more air time. Since there was no wind I broke out the Night Vapor and a couple of my new Eflight 120s that I picked on on sale. With throttle control I managed 25 minutes out of a single pack. That gives me over 4 hours flying time on the 10 pack I bought.
Belem is offline Find More Posts by Belem
Old May 02, 2011, 01:01 PM
In the 20' glider range
Boise, Idaho
Joined Jul 2009
4,503 Posts
Sweet!
anti-gravity is offline Find More Posts by anti-gravity
Old May 07, 2011, 07:11 PM
Joined May 2011
62 Posts
Props

Has anyone had issues with new props being bad and not allowing enough thrust? I modded mine with the J3 motor and it can pretty much climb almost vertical, but then I busted my prop. Ordered a new one and the thing can barely climb.

I ordered three more, put the first one on and same thing, can hardly climb. Put the second one on and it's back to normal...all good!

I tried to take a photo of the differences in the props...the back two barely keep it flying level and seem to be louder. The front one is flatter to the table and flies pretty good. I have to give her another shot when there's less wind. Took off pretty quick and then blew into a tree when it got above my house and caught wind.

Anyone know how to fix these other props?

alpinesandtoys is offline Find More Posts by alpinesandtoys
Old May 07, 2011, 07:37 PM
In the 20' glider range
Boise, Idaho
Joined Jul 2009
4,503 Posts
I bend more thrust into them by hand. ...
I have noticed the same thing. And it pisses me off that I have to spend $2 on a prop that is a POS
Old May 07, 2011, 11:24 PM
United States, IL, Washington
Joined Nov 2008
1,942 Posts
I have read about this problem a few times now. After you straighten them and twist more pitch in make sure you balance them. I don't think a lot of people on here ever bother too. Not only will it vibrate less but it will also have more thrust and fly longer if it's balanced. Even if you have to, stick it on a needle and move it side to side and up and down and all around. If the same blade keeps dropping put a small piece of tape on the opposite blade. Keep doing this until both blades stay horizontal it makes a difference sometimes a big difference.
TODD
I R Irv is online now Find More Posts by I R Irv
Last edited by I R Irv; May 07, 2011 at 11:42 PM.
Old May 07, 2011, 11:26 PM
Joined May 2011
62 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by anti-gravity View Post
I bend more thrust into them by hand. ...
I have noticed the same thing. And it pisses me off that I have to spend $2 on a prop that is a POS

Are you twisting them or making them flatter? I took a heat gun to them after this photo and you hardly have to put any heat on them at all before you see them bending. Just wondering what they're supposed to look like if not flat?
Old May 08, 2011, 05:20 AM
United States, CA, San Gabriel
Joined Jan 2008
144 Posts
If you're really adventurous, try using the Micro 4-site prop, with the J-3 Cub motor. You will have to dilate the hole just a bit more for the prop to accept the Vapor's prop shaft, but I can guarantee the Vapor will fly like a dream with great vertical.
mxandrews1 is offline Find More Posts by mxandrews1
Old May 08, 2011, 08:34 AM
United States, IL, Washington
Joined Nov 2008
1,942 Posts
Vapor gear box, (with ball bearing) J3 Cub motor and a 5030 carbon fiber prop = 28 grams thrust but quickly falls from there. I haven't timed it but it's close to 10 min of sport flying with a Hyperion 70 cell.
TODD
I R Irv is online now Find More Posts by I R Irv
Old May 08, 2011, 10:21 AM
In the 20' glider range
Boise, Idaho
Joined Jul 2009
4,503 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by alpinesandtoys View Post
Are you twisting them or making them flatter? I took a heat gun to them after this photo and you hardly have to put any heat on them at all before you see them bending. Just wondering what they're supposed to look like if not flat?
Twisting to add pitch to them.
And I really dont know. I would just bend them until I had the power I wanted.
Old May 08, 2011, 11:28 AM
Joined May 2011
62 Posts
That's this prop right?
http://www.e-fliterc.com/Products/De...ProdID=EFL9051

What material did you use to fill the hole...just glue or hot glue? I've already got the J-3 motor on it....hell, anything faster and the wings will probably fold!
Old May 08, 2011, 07:37 PM
United States, CA, San Gabriel
Joined Jan 2008
144 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by alpinesandtoys View Post
That's this prop right?
http://www.e-fliterc.com/Products/De...ProdID=EFL9051

What material did you use to fill the hole...just glue or hot glue? I've already got the J-3 motor on it....hell, anything faster and the wings will probably fold!
You don't need to fill the hole, you need to make it a little bigger. Just enough so it can screw onto the stock Vapor prop shaft. Just make sure when you're enlarging the hole that you do it on a flat surface so it doesn't screw on crooked on the shaft.

I believe that's the one. Ahh, you can just see the pitch in the prop looking at it.

Don't worry about the wings folding, there are mods to fix that as well.

I even use the 150mah battery, fixed just below the RX to compensate for a little heavier front end. I flew this plane vertically as high as a telephone pole then killed the throttle only to way 5 mins before it came back down. I love it!

I'm realizing more, that if you want to try a mod, just do it. As ridiculous as some of them are, the right one's can make these planes fly so much better.
mxandrews1 is offline Find More Posts by mxandrews1
Old May 08, 2011, 10:06 PM
Joined Jan 2011
6 Posts
The 4-site/champ props have a larger hole than the vapor shaft.

I filled the hole with ca, poked it trough with a thin wire while it was wet, then let it dry to sort of sleeve the hole.

It worked very well and has so much thrust, you can cruise around at 1/4 throttle.
Cubesmith is offline Find More Posts by Cubesmith