HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 10, 2010, 11:21 AM
Joined Feb 2009
152 Posts
Help!
Traxxas TQ3

Ok, so I got a TQ3 receiver and transmitter off of ebay. The receiver is a three channel, and im confused as to what goes where. I'm still new to the rc world. And, on the transmitter, there is a red switch that can either go up or down and i don't know which way to put it. I don't have a manual for it. I have a shockwave 26 boat, but I have the same motor/esc setup that is in a blackjack 26.

Please help! Ask me questions if I didn't explain that too well.
Thanks!
Darkcracker is offline Find More Posts by Darkcracker
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 10, 2010, 12:06 PM
nick 30
Joined May 2009
2,790 Posts
post some photo's of what you mean please

1 port should be for throttle = thr (esc)
1 port should be for steering = str (servo)
last port should be auxillary = aux

the switch your describing could be a on/off switch or reversing switch
nick30head is offline Find More Posts by nick30head
Old Apr 10, 2010, 01:29 PM
Joined Nov 2005
1,617 Posts
typically chl 1 is steering, ch2 is throttle, ch3 is aux. hth
rex
Rex R is offline Find More Posts by Rex R
Old Apr 10, 2010, 04:47 PM
Joined Feb 2009
152 Posts
Ok, I have to leave for work now i will take a picture of the red switch, but I got the receiver hooked up, but now nothing works. like there is no power going to it, and my batteries are charged...
Old Apr 10, 2010, 07:59 PM
Joined Nov 2005
1,617 Posts
the red switch is a toggle for the 3-channel, there should be 2 rotary switches for throttle & steering trim and a servo reverse switch(not to mention an on/off switch ). if the radio came from a nitro truck (sounds likely) then you will need a rx pack to power the servo etc. in the boat(this in addition to the main battery pack).
I can't say that I'm overly impressed by traxxas radio gear...there may be a manual for this radio someplace...all I've found is a short paragraph in a truck manual. I know that you may not like to hear this...but, have you given any thought to replacing the radio?
Rex R is offline Find More Posts by Rex R
Old Apr 10, 2010, 11:21 PM
KC8WPF
Euclid, Ohio, United States
Joined Sep 2004
3,795 Posts
Have you tried looking at the Traxxas website?

Here's the manual for the T-Maxx look at document page 10.

Went to the Traxxas website and got a diagram of the radio.
CG Bob is offline Find More Posts by CG Bob
Old Apr 10, 2010, 11:30 PM
Joined Feb 2009
152 Posts
I have the Proboat transmitter and receiver that came with the boat, but I thought the transmitter was messing up, so I got this traxxas off of ebay. I didn't know you have to have a battery to run the rx pack.... Why does it have to have that? I don't even know what kind of battery i would get, and where i would put it?! Is there another receiver i can get and still use the traxxas tx or even the proboat tx?
What was happening was when the boat was out in the water, it would just do its own thing sometimes. So i thought it was either the tx/rx or the servo. And when i say doing its own thing I mean for example: no throttle pushed and it would go full throttle on its own, or just turn and do circles without me steering at all. I don't know what it is. It's not the esc or motor, those are new lol
Old Apr 10, 2010, 11:31 PM
Joined Feb 2009
152 Posts
CG Bob, see the red switch right behind the throttle trigger? in the picture it is pushed down. What is that for?
Old Apr 11, 2010, 12:25 AM
KC8WPF
Euclid, Ohio, United States
Joined Sep 2004
3,795 Posts
The older version of the T-Maxx, as well as some other Traxxas nitro trucks, have a reverse gear. It's all covered in the T-Maxx manual I referenced above; the radio system is covered on pages 10 thru 18. The red button is used to shift from forward to reverse. In the picture the button is in the forward position. It's not really designed to be a proportional control like the throttle or steering. It operates more like the landing gear switch (Channel 5) on an aircraft radio set - you basicallyhave only two positions with it.

The "T" in T-Maxx stands for niTro, the E-Maxx is the electric version of the same truck. Here's the manual for the E-Maxx. The E-Maxx uses the same TQ3 radio, and what looks like a slightly different receiver.

If you didn't need a separate battery with the Pro Boat radio, you don't need one with the Traxxas unit. Looking at the Traxxas receiver, with the servo plugs directly in front of you (the rx antenna away from you); the plugs from left to right are: Ch3 or shifter; Ch 2 or throttle; Ch1 or steering; and then the battery.
CG Bob is offline Find More Posts by CG Bob
Last edited by CG Bob; Apr 11, 2010 at 12:54 AM.
Old Apr 11, 2010, 09:11 AM
Joined Feb 2009
152 Posts
CG Bob you are awesome! I got the servo to work, but not throttle still won't work... I didn't even think of having the wires backwards
Old Apr 11, 2010, 06:23 PM
Joined Feb 2009
152 Posts
ok, got it working now. Thanks everyone!
Old Apr 13, 2010, 08:28 AM
Thermite + ice = Big boom.
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Apr 2009
2,353 Posts
the red switch is channel three, i have the same one in 2 channel, and that's not there, so that must be it
boaterguy is online now Find More Posts by boaterguy