HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 10, 2010, 09:03 AM
Plane in shop...vac.
Joined Dec 2007
66 Posts
Discussion
Ideas needed for a slow flyer for small yards

I'm looking to build a micro slow flyer if there is such a thing. I have the electronics out of a parkzone p51 that has tangled with the swing-set, garden fence and house one to many times, we will not talk about the chimney incident. I would like something slow and floatly, 3-d is not needed. Looking to build out of 2 or 3mm depron ( as that is what I have, but at 5$ a sheet at the (almost) LHS I could pick up something. Also I was noticing that home depot has pink FFF for pretty cheap. I like the flight of my megatech avion, but need more control than that can give. Besides the IF control on that craps out in the sun light.
Drewed is offline Find More Posts by Drewed
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 10, 2010, 09:26 AM
gpw
“There’s no place like Foam”
United States, LA, New Orleans
Joined Jul 2002
24,105 Posts
Dre, you might be better off with something LARGER , and a very Low wing loading (Very LIGHT).. You just want something to putt around the chimney , right ? Micro planes tend to fly faster because of "scale effect"..
gpw is offline Find More Posts by gpw
Old Apr 10, 2010, 11:49 AM
Plane in shop...vac.
Joined Dec 2007
66 Posts
Around the chimney is better than into it!

I was hoping to use my micro gear, as that is what I have.
Drewed is offline Find More Posts by Drewed
Old Apr 10, 2010, 01:11 PM
Scratch building addict
United States, CA, Felton
Joined Jan 2005
654 Posts
I've found a good "sweet spot" for flying in small spaces is around 25-27 inch wingspan, 8-8.5 ounces total weight. I agree, the very small planes end up having to fly pretty fast due to the small wing area, and if you get them light enough to fly slow you're stuck with only 0 mph wind or indoor flight, or they get tossed around.

NOt sure if your micro gear would fly one this size, but a little 24 gm blue wonder clone from hobby king would be perfect, with 2s 400 maH or so battery.

If it were me, I would definitely make a parasol plane with a large rudder and fly rudder only. This is my favorite plane for small areas. Something similar to the "epp parasol" here on rcgroups would be great. A true parasol requires no dihedral turns fast and is very stable for putting around.
rotagen is offline Find More Posts by rotagen
Old Apr 10, 2010, 04:26 PM
flyin' fool
Vancouver Island, Canada
Joined Jul 2003
7,237 Posts
Try a 10" NutBall. Keep it at around 30 grams and you'll have a winner. This one in the pix has an Ember motor/box/prop and now upgraded to brushless. Mine has seen many hours flying in my very small backyard. If flies just like the big ones.......super slow in high alfa or your basic 3D stuff in a small area.
goldguy is offline Find More Posts by goldguy
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Flyin' Fool
Old Apr 10, 2010, 09:31 PM
Canada
Joined Nov 2000
6,952 Posts
Not to dissuade.. but the Parkzone P51's I have seen are big Heavy models in the 30 ounce range. Not much of the avionics/power system is going be usable in a wee model. Yer gonna have to think of a similar size plane , I think, to reuse hose Parkzone bits.
Perhaps you could search in this Forum for the SUMO and it's variants?

PS;..you Like!? your Avion? I found mine was completely laughable as a flying object... it hung on it's prop .. barely... it went directly back to the store the next day, for a full refund.. gotta love Big Box stores:-)
Bare is offline Find More Posts by Bare
Old Apr 10, 2010, 11:29 PM
flyin' fool
Vancouver Island, Canada
Joined Jul 2003
7,237 Posts
Ops! Got it confused with the Hobby Zone BNF stuff. Not too familiar with ARFs. Still, A NutBall in the proper size to support the gear would still do the job, it works in all sizes.
goldguy is offline Find More Posts by goldguy
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Flyin' Fool
Old Apr 11, 2010, 02:41 AM
Joined Aug 2009
10 Posts
i have been looking at the bow stick (dadesign) easily adapted for any wing span and motor combo.

how about
mini ifo or your own micro ifo
pizza box flyers pbf's
have a look at spads for ideas for using depron in place of coreflute
i also like to keep a watch on bruce stenulsons web site.

when you realy start looking, you can find lots of stuff for insperation
jezzNZ is offline Find More Posts by jezzNZ