HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 09, 2010, 12:47 PM
Smoke gets in your eyes
Joined Apr 2007
191 Posts
Discussion
Tiger says "a group of sixth graders tied me to a tree, spray-painted the word .....

Tiger told a story back in 2005 about how, when he was a child, "a group of sixth graders tied me to a tree, spray-painted the word 'n-word' on me, and threw rocks at me. That was my first day of school. And the teacher really didn't do much of anything."

Read more: http://www.tmz.com/2010/04/02/tiger-...#ixzz0kcrR07oT
' on me, and threw rocks at me. That was my first day of school. And the teacher really didn't do much of anything."

Read more: http://www.tmz.com/2010/04/02/tiger-...#ixzz0kcrR07oT

Is tiger a racist?he also says he was the only black kid in school,I have read that 1 in 4 kids in that district was "of color".
2SMOKINBARRELS is offline Find More Posts by 2SMOKINBARRELS
Old Apr 09, 2010, 01:41 PM
North Hills
Joined Nov 1999
6,073 Posts
Good ole Gloria Allred pimping any case to keep her mug in front of the camera...
SchiessCo is offline Find More Posts by SchiessCo
Old Apr 09, 2010, 05:22 PM
United States, FL, Tampa
Joined May 2008
140 Posts
I got bullied as bad as that, and worse. Does that make me a minority?

Actually, the sickening part is a black man, being the biggest money maker in advertisement, in a predominately white market segment, complaining about racism.

Is there no point where we can get past this short of no white person having any money at all - having given it to black people?
saltyzoo is offline Find More Posts by saltyzoo
Old Apr 09, 2010, 09:04 PM
fix-it-up chappie
Valley Village, CA
Joined Jan 2002
2,262 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by saltyzoo View Post
Happened to me too, and it sucked. I had big thick glasses, and was...me. Didn't go over well until I got contact lenses and filled out in middle school.

Quote:
Actually, the sickening part is a black man, being the biggest money maker in advertisement, in a predominately white market segment, complaining about racism.
Why? I think it is fair to say that he can be entirely successful, and also feel the effects of racism. Success does not erase racism, at least as far as I know.

If he is playing with a 3-some (on the golf course), and two of the guys treat him normally, and the third guy treats him like a racist jerk, then he has experienced racism. The appropriate behavior of the other two does not change the fact that the third was being a jerk.

Quote:
Is there no point where we can get past this short of no white person having any money at all - having given it to black people?
Racism does not depend upon you paying other people. That would be some kind of organized crime scheme. Racism will end when everybody doesn't act racist. That will be a LONG time from now, as near as I can tell, because EVERYBODY acts racist every once in a while. It's pretty darn deep in our culture, and I don't see it leaving anytime soon.
tolladay is offline Find More Posts by tolladay
Old Apr 09, 2010, 09:11 PM
sensitive artsy type
Tucker, Georgia, United States
Joined Feb 2004
3,156 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tolladay
I had big thick glasses, and was...me.
So was I!
Treetop is offline Find More Posts by Treetop
Old Apr 09, 2010, 09:20 PM
sensitive artsy type
Joined Feb 2004
3,156 Posts
Quote:

I think you totally miss the point. When he won his first Masters, one of the pro golfers joked about serving fried chicken and watermelon for the dinner, which I believe the winner picks the dinner menu for the next years banquet.

He was heckled off a Navy base golf course as a young fellow by adults using the N word. Tiger isn't that old, the fact that he suffered racism has nothing to do with your being bullied. Unless your being bullied was racially motivated. But as the victim of being bullied, it would seem you would be more empathetic to folks suffering from racism. Did you feel you deserved to be bullied? Does the fact that you have a job and are successful erase that fact?

I don't understand why folks want to not have racism brought to light where it exists. No one is arguing things have not gotten better. But being that Tiger is only around 31 years old and a Navy brat, his experiences are pretty recent, history wise. The truth is going to go a lot farther towards ridding us of racism as much as possible than ignoring it. We have decades of ignoring it to see that from.
Old Apr 09, 2010, 11:48 PM
Santo, Tx. La Tierra de Dios
Joined Nov 2005
148 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Treetop View Post
I think you totally miss the point. When he won his first Masters, one of the pro golfers joked about serving fried chicken and watermelon for the dinner, which I believe the winner picks the dinner menu for the next years banquet.

He was heckled off a Navy base golf course as a young fellow by adults using the N word. Tiger isn't that old, the fact that he suffered racism has nothing to do with your being bullied. Unless your being bullied was racially motivated. But as the victim of being bullied, it would seem you would be more empathetic to folks suffering from racism. Did you feel you deserved to be bullied? Does the fact that you have a job and are successful erase that fact?

I don't understand why folks want to not have racism brought to light where it exists. No one is arguing things have not gotten better. But being that Tiger is only around 31 years old and a Navy brat, his experiences are pretty recent, history wise. The truth is going to go a lot farther towards ridding us of racism as much as possible than ignoring it. We have decades of ignoring it to see that from.
Treetop, about 10 years or so ago there were stories circulating about discrimination against Tiger Woods. When asked if any of this was true, he said that he had never been denied access nor made to feel unwelcome at any golf course he had ever been.
Whizz is offline Find More Posts by Whizz
Old Apr 10, 2010, 12:38 AM
sensitive artsy type
Joined Feb 2004
3,156 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whizz View Post
Treetop, about 10 years or so ago there were stories circulating about discrimination against Tiger Woods. When asked if any of this was true, he said that he had never been denied access nor made to feel unwelcome at any golf course he had ever been.
Quote:
"When my parents moved in, before I was born, they used to have these oranges come through the window all the time. And it could have not been racially initiated or it could have been. We don't know. But it was very interesting though people don't necessarily know it, that I grew up in the 1980's and still had incidents. I had a racial incident even in the 1990's at home where I grew up, the Navy golf course. And right before the 1994 U.S. Amateur, I was eighteen years old, I was out practicing, just hitting pitch shots and some guys just yelled over the fence and used the N word numerous times at me. That's in 1994," Tiger said.
http://community.foxsports.com/kenri...hard_lifestyle
Old Apr 10, 2010, 02:39 AM
Suspended Account
United States, UT, Salina
Joined Apr 2003
3,117 Posts
He's good at lying, bad at poker that one.
Bilbobaker is offline Find More Posts by Bilbobaker
Old Apr 10, 2010, 02:41 AM
Suspended Account
United States, UT, Salina
Joined Apr 2003
3,117 Posts
Wait that should have read good at poke her bad at lying.

At least he has golf down pat.
Bilbobaker is offline Find More Posts by Bilbobaker
Old Apr 10, 2010, 04:03 AM
United States, FL, Tampa
Joined May 2008
140 Posts
The point I'm making is that it is repeatedly said on this forum that reverse racism doesn't count because a minority committing racism on a non-minority doesn't "hurt" the non-minority, so it doesn't count. Clearly, the racism Tiger experienced didn't "hurt" him significantly. Rather, he used his experience to help him succeed.

People do crappy things to other people. That's bad. Coddling the people that have them done to them does NOT help them, it only widens the race divide more. Strive to stop people from doing crappy things. Stop over-compensating. Minorities can succeed. nuff-said.

I don't see anybody shedding any tears over how Bill Gates was treated as a child.....
saltyzoo is offline Find More Posts by saltyzoo