HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 07, 2010, 11:41 PM
Joined Mar 2005
2 Posts
Discussion
Looking for cheap RC radio TX/RX sets

This is my first post, so hopefully I'm in the right place. If not, I apologize.

I am a university student taking a course on advanced engineering design and manufacturing. We just started a group project where the class of 10 students will be working together to design and machine RC cars from scratch. Then, each student is designing their own body to be made with our little injection molder. The max dimension of the injection molds is ~6 inches, so our cars are going to be pretty small (about 1/30th scale).

Because we will be building ~10 cars, we will need about 10 sets of RC transmitters, receivers, servos, speed controls, motors, and battery packs. The class has a surprisingly large budget for only 10 students, but this is clearly going to be pretty expensive. We're looking to spend the least amount of money possible on the RC components, so I was hoping you all could help me find cheap 2-channel TX/RX solutions and we'll probably just buy sub-micro servos and motors in bulk.

So, does anyone know where I can find cheap TX/RX radios? They can be pistol, 2 stick, or even something else. We don't care much about the technology as long as we can hook up a servo and motor to each. I've found cheap radios for less than $50, but they're from pretty sketchy sites and I'm not very sure about them. Hopefully we can find cheaper options (maybe ~$20-30 for a set) from more reputable sources? I'd even be okay with them being used, as long as they work well.

Thanks for any help!

(to mods: I think this post fits better here than in the classifieds b/c I'm not actually trying to purchase these things from forum members, I'm just looking for advice... unless any of you happen to have what I'm looking for
1145climber is offline Find More Posts by 1145climber
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 07, 2010, 11:51 PM
I feel the need for speed!
Southern U.S.
Joined Jun 2008
7,332 Posts
Here's the least expensive 2.4ghz radio/reciever you will ever find........i own two. Out of stck at this exact moment but check back.................

http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbyking/s...z_2Ch_Tx_&_Rx_
scorpion1 is offline Find More Posts by scorpion1
Old Apr 08, 2010, 01:02 AM
USA, WA, Bonney Lake
Joined Aug 2008
3,416 Posts
or for us based: http://www.hobbypartz.com/fs-g2-24ghz-radio.html you would have to wait for it to come back into stock, but you'd save big time on shipping with their $5 flat rate shipping.
jettrooper02 is offline Find More Posts by jettrooper02
Old Apr 08, 2010, 06:24 AM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
24,598 Posts
I got this with my new Aquacraft boat and for a RX with no antenna the range is awesome and price is ok.
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...0245&search=Go
It mite be available for less else where.
freechip is offline Find More Posts by freechip