Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Aug 22, 2010, 09:36 AM
Suspended Account
Κύπρος, Λευκωσία, Πέρα Χωριό
Joined Jan 2010
9,530 Posts
meybe is a preproduction model guys. officially the plane is not out yet. there may be changes on the production model.
btw health issues won't let me be a poroud owner of this mig. at least for now.
but I'm confident I will get it on a later stage. In the meantime I'm waiting an for you owners videos.
pavcon is offline Find More Posts by pavcon
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 22, 2010, 12:19 PM
Were..is..my..Super..Suit ..
United States, NE, Papillion
Joined Sep 2009
2,510 Posts
Can I just ask a question, if you knew the mig would not have as much power with the stock batteries then why did you use them if you had better ones?

j3tman,
j3tman is offline Find More Posts by j3tman
Old Aug 22, 2010, 01:56 PM
Watts Up?
USA, TX, Arlington
Joined Jun 2006
1,634 Posts
Most almost every maiden that are under power will be pretty brutal and ugly. The same full throttle, puffed battery and dead stick tip stall of death. Sorry to hear about your maiden Henrik.
Danny
jet-ster is offline Find More Posts by jet-ster
Old Aug 22, 2010, 03:00 PM
Munich
Joined Dec 2008
1,096 Posts
Hello there,

thanks for your words, guys! And I am halfway through the repair. It will take a bit more, because the damage list is like this: one wing broken off, one wing tip broken off, one elevator broken off, both slats broken several times, 2 servos dead, both air inlets torn off, two fan mounts ripped off, one thrust tube torn off, one tv nozzle torn off and the mounting ring ripped into 4 units, front gear damaged, nose broken off, nose hatch broken, fuselage rear cut open 10cm by a servo wire that was attached to the tv servo on the thrust tube etc - you get the idea! If this plane will fly again, it will be the ugliest duckling ever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by j3tman View Post
Can I just ask a question, if you knew the mig would not have as much power with the stock batteries then why did you use them if you had better ones?
Good question, two answers.
  • Regular 6s batteries don't fit - you can't close the cockpit anymore. But I did the static test with them because I just had them lying around.
  • I also had a new 4s+2s combo which would have fit, but the 2s was dead on arrival... great.
That's why I took the 2x 3s stock batteries. I also thought they can't be that bad. And I can't prove they are, it is just one hypothesis among several others, among them pilot error.

Cheers,
Henrik
hklagges is offline Find More Posts by hklagges
Last edited by hklagges; Aug 22, 2010 at 03:06 PM.
Old Aug 22, 2010, 04:11 PM
UK
Joined Dec 2008
18 Posts
Just seen this maiden on Youtube.

LX Mig-29 70mmTwin Maiden flight (3 min 40 sec)

Sorry to read there is that much damage Henrik, you must be considering a new airframe or is it a 50/50 call?

The one in video doesn't look underpowered. But I'm only guessing its a standard setup.

Cheers
Bobster
Bobster-1 is offline Find More Posts by Bobster-1
Old Aug 22, 2010, 04:36 PM
Were..is..my..Super..Suit ..
United States, NE, Papillion
Joined Sep 2009
2,510 Posts
The video looks good and the red scheme is just amazingly awesome i'm still wondering if BH will carry it in the red scheme?

j3tman,
j3tman is offline Find More Posts by j3tman
Last edited by j3tman; Aug 22, 2010 at 08:25 PM.
Old Aug 22, 2010, 06:07 PM
Munich
Joined Dec 2008
1,096 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobster-1 View Post
Sorry to read there is that much damage Henrik, you must be considering a new airframe or is it a 50/50 call?
By now I think it will be repaired. The thrust tube is fixed, fan is reinstalled, severed servo wire is fixed, tv servo is replaced, tv nozzle is fixed and reinstalled, broken hinges removed and replaced with new ones, both slats are glued again into one each and installed, 1 aileron and 1 slat are fixed, front gear is fixed, fuselage cracks are fixed, fuselage head is glued on again and the elevator is fixed too.

The really big remaining issue is to glue the one wing on again. I wonder whether the bond between the wing and the main fuselage will be strong enough. I also wonder how much of the intake tubes to remove for good.
Quote:
The one in video doesn't look underpowered. But I'm only guessing its a standard setup.
Stuart vom staticthrustrc has come up with a possible explanation for my flight. He argued, what if the plane was only riding the tv nozzle-directed airstream, but with a stalled wing from the start? (Remember I did my "get this thing off the bloody grass runway" trick, not a regular start). That would explain the perceived big nose heaviness (because the plane would not have had much lift on the main wing) and also some of the lack of responsiveness from the ailerons. If that explanation is true, it is a pity though that the plane didn't "free" itself from that flight mode (note: raise flaps to escape that mode). And it would also be the longest medium alpha hover I ever did .

Cheers,
Henrik

PS: Where the hell do I get a good runway? The Autobahns here are all busy with brand-new BMW's and Audis...
hklagges is offline Find More Posts by hklagges
Old Aug 23, 2010, 09:38 AM
You win again gravity!
UK
Joined Jan 2010
1,221 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hklagges View Post
By now I think it will be repaired. The thrust tube is fixed, fan is reinstalled, severed servo wire is fixed, tv servo is replaced, tv nozzle is fixed and reinstalled, broken hinges removed and replaced with new ones, both slats are glued again into one each and installed, 1 aileron and 1 slat are fixed, front gear is fixed, fuselage cracks are fixed, fuselage head is glued on again and the elevator is fixed too.

The really big remaining issue is to glue the one wing on again. I wonder whether the bond between the wing and the main fuselage will be strong enough. I also wonder how much of the intake tubes to remove for good.

Stuart vom staticthrustrc has come up with a possible explanation for my flight. He argued, what if the plane was only riding the tv nozzle-directed airstream, but with a stalled wing from the start? (Remember I did my "get this thing off the bloody grass runway" trick, not a regular start). That would explain the perceived big nose heaviness (because the plane would not have had much lift on the main wing) and also some of the lack of responsiveness from the ailerons. If that explanation is true, it is a pity though that the plane didn't "free" itself from that flight mode (note: raise flaps to escape that mode). And it would also be the longest medium alpha hover I ever did .

Cheers,
Henrik

PS: Where the hell do I get a good runway? The Autobahns here are all busy with brand-new BMW's and Audis...

The damage looks even worse than I first imagined. I really hope you can repair her!
SMorrisRC is offline Find More Posts by SMorrisRC
Old Aug 23, 2010, 11:45 AM
Watts Up?
USA, TX, Arlington
Joined Jun 2006
1,634 Posts
DEFINITELY red scheme for !

Danny
Old Aug 23, 2010, 11:49 AM
Watts Up?
USA, TX, Arlington
Joined Jun 2006
1,634 Posts

wow, I wonder if you could pull off a one wing flight like the real life F-15 could.
It looks really bad That's some major work.
Old Aug 23, 2010, 12:26 PM
Suspended Account
TEXAS
Joined Sep 2005
1,006 Posts
Was that pilot error or faulty electronic that caused the plane to crash, yellow shrink wrap leads me to beleave that mystery got there hands on the guts of the beautiful mig.
zach_dad is offline Find More Posts by zach_dad
Old Aug 23, 2010, 12:46 PM
USA, MD, Frederick
Joined Jan 2010
3,899 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zach_dad View Post
Was that pilot error or faulty electronic that caused the plane to crash, yellow shrink wrap leads me to beleave that mystery got there hands on the guts of the beautiful mig.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=847
fredmdbud is offline Find More Posts by fredmdbud
Old Aug 23, 2010, 12:50 PM
Corpus Christi Texas
Joined Jul 2008
18 Posts
Yes something must have gone wrong with the electronics because in your post you said it had almost 1:1 thrust... so it should have climbed out with authority unless an electronic failure got you.

Your post about thrust calculations follows..............

"Hello there,

here two new data points about the MiG-29 from the test bench. Measurements were taken inside the airframe with a Jeti MUI-150 capacity / voltage / current combined sensor. The battery used was a SLS 4.000mAh 25C 6s freshly charged. Plugs where 4mm gold plugs which have slightly better resistance than Dean's plugs (<0.2 mOhm instead of <0.3).

Maximum current drawn at WOT: 78 Ampere (1,9 kW at 24 Volts)
Maximum thrust: Less than 1:1 an AUW approximately 2.430 grams.

I am a bit sad we didn't get 1:1.

Cheers,
Henrik "

Also IMHO probably not a good idea to fly this one off grass..........
dcrcer is offline Find More Posts by dcrcer
Old Aug 23, 2010, 12:56 PM
USA, MD, Frederick
Joined Jan 2010
3,899 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcrcer View Post
Yes something must have gone wrong with the electronics because in your post you said it had almost 1:1 thrust... so it should have climbed out with authority unless an electronic failure got you.

Your post about thrust calculations follows..............

"Hello there,

here two new data points about the MiG-29 from the test bench. Measurements were taken inside the airframe with a Jeti MUI-150 capacity / voltage / current combined sensor. The battery used was a SLS 4.000mAh 25C 6s freshly charged. Plugs where 4mm gold plugs which have slightly better resistance than Dean's plugs (<0.2 mOhm instead of <0.3).

Maximum current drawn at WOT: 78 Ampere (1,9 kW at 24 Volts)
Maximum thrust: Less than 1:1 an AUW approximately 2.430 grams.

I am a bit sad we didn't get 1:1.

Cheers,
Henrik "

Also IMHO probably not a good idea to fly this one off grass..........
I tend to agree that his take off was not much above stall speed, and pulling up-elevator with TV turned on did not contribute to gaining airspeed.
fredmdbud is offline Find More Posts by fredmdbud
Old Aug 23, 2010, 01:51 PM
Suspended Account
TEXAS
Joined Sep 2005
1,006 Posts
That what was trying to imply maybe a fan quite working if you hit a bump or something, wire issue, grass should not be a problem except maybe for gear to pull apart from foam housing. I wish they would of made a 90mm instead, they are easier to diagnos, yes I know 2 are more realistic, but they seem to never sound in sink.
zach_dad is offline Find More Posts by zach_dad