HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 26, 2013, 05:30 PM
Yeah, I can fly...
Mesa, Arizona
Joined Jun 2005
2,625 Posts
Well, my first maiden attempt resulted in a long run off the end of the runway even though I cut the power early. Tore the stock gear nose and one main gear out

I think it was still too nose heavy and thus collapsed the nose gear so much it stuck to the ground despite full up at full power after a few second.

So... I am making the following changes:

E-flite 15-25 retracts all the way around. I had a double wheel nose from an F/A-18 using stock tires. Mains will also get bigger tires. This should cover and takeoff/landing issues.

Switching to a 5s 4200 45c setup for power. Running a 2s 4200 45c and a 3s 4200 45c(Hyperion) in series. 3s pack under the hump and 2s laying flat under canopy area. Should put my balance further back.

Remember, I'm not running the stock motors, I have 3000kv 5s capable motors.

Rain has been a factor for the event I finished for so I may make an attempt to fly it tomorrow
wyldkrd is online now Find More Posts by wyldkrd
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 26, 2013, 06:03 PM
United States, NM, Clovis
Joined Oct 2011
3,690 Posts
You may want to check your AOA while on the ground as well and ensure you have a slight nose up attitude. Also ensure tail is set up right. If I remember correctly they were set with a bit of up in the neutral position. Not sure of your power setup but one thing to remember is that going to a 5s setup will noticeably dercrease power/thrust output. Here is one pic of elevator neutral position

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=3347
DamonH is online now Find More Posts by DamonH
Old Jan 27, 2013, 12:54 AM
Yeah, I can fly...
Mesa, Arizona
Joined Jun 2005
2,625 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DamonH View Post
You may want to check your AOA while on the ground as well and ensure you have a slight nose up attitude. Also ensure tail is set up right. If I remember correctly they were set with a bit of up in the neutral position. Not sure of your power setup but one thing to remember is that going to a 5s setup will noticeably dercrease power/thrust output. Here is one pic of elevator neutral position

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=3347
The new nose gear is set for a little more up than before. I have a little up already on the elevator, it was real close the last time so I think I will be good.

This was built from the ground up- i.e. NOT using the 2100kv motors that it usually comes with. I opted for Dynam 3000kv's that usually come with the Meteor. We have run these as 5s in other 70mm airframes with great success and I thought two would be enough for this.
Old Jan 27, 2013, 12:58 AM
United States, NM, Clovis
Joined Oct 2011
3,690 Posts
Cool....Good luck on your next try!
DamonH is online now Find More Posts by DamonH
Old Jan 27, 2013, 04:24 AM
90mm F-16
Joined Apr 2006
4,623 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wyldkrd View Post
Well, my first maiden attempt resulted in a long run off the end of the runway even though I cut the power early. Tore the stock gear nose and one main gear out

I think it was still too nose heavy and thus collapsed the nose gear so much it stuck to the ground despite full up at full power after a few second.

So... I am making the following changes:

E-flite 15-25 retracts all the way around. I had a double wheel nose from an F/A-18 using stock tires. Mains will also get bigger tires. This should cover and takeoff/landing issues.

Switching to a 5s 4200 45c setup for power. Running a 2s 4200 45c and a 3s 4200 45c(Hyperion) in series. 3s pack under the hump and 2s laying flat under canopy area. Should put my balance further back.

Remember, I'm not running the stock motors, I have 3000kv 5s capable motors.

Rain has been a factor for the event I finished for so I may make an attempt to fly it tomorrow
Same happened with my F-16 until I raised the front LG 1.5cm.
Tartago is online now Find More Posts by Tartago
Old Feb 11, 2013, 02:17 AM
Joined Jul 2010
6 Posts
Dear Brandon, may you post how you achieve this georgeous louvers on the top side of the inlets?
panteras120 is offline Find More Posts by panteras120
Old Feb 11, 2013, 05:21 AM
Fly & Have Fun..Enjoy the Ride
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Mar 2009
5,659 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by panteras120 View Post
Dear Brandon, may you post how you achieve this georgeous louvers on the top side of the inlets?
I will try and come back here and do that again later this week. Thank you for the compliment.

For now, there are pictures of them on my blog page you can study to see how I did it, plus several modifications

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1685223
brandonmoon is offline Find More Posts by brandonmoon
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Relocated back to Arizona
Old Feb 11, 2013, 08:58 AM
Yeah, I can fly...
Mesa, Arizona
Joined Jun 2005
2,625 Posts
I finally got mine up on the 3rd attempt. Needed a significant amount of up trim. One of the fan covers came off in flight but was recovered. Luckily the fan did not come out! I was amazed how much she wanted to float on landing, I had to go around and greased the landing. She flew quite well, didn't get to try the flaps/slats or drag chute yet. I started a new job so I've been rather busy so have not flown it again yet. I plan to add the gear doors but will probably fly it again soon. Glad to be part of the club flying this awesome bird.
Old Feb 16, 2013, 01:20 PM
United States, MD, Clinton
Joined Oct 2010
1,002 Posts
Starting my replacement mig build. Had the green version stock before and liked the flights so went with the gray version this time and the cs12 blade fan system that I am starting to put in most of my planes.
houstonderk is offline Find More Posts by houstonderk
Old Feb 17, 2013, 11:25 PM
90mm F-16
Joined Apr 2006
4,623 Posts
Are you going to use the 2855 2100?
Old Feb 18, 2013, 03:21 AM
United States, MD, Clinton
Joined Oct 2010
1,002 Posts
Running eflite's bl32 motors.
houstonderk is offline Find More Posts by houstonderk
Old Feb 18, 2013, 09:35 PM
So many planes, So little time
United States, OR, North Plains
Joined Jul 2010
244 Posts
Up Up and Away

I've got my 29 up and running now..
LX Mig-29 flight (2 min 53 sec)

Stock motors/fans on 6S.
I really like how this flys! I may build one with thrust vector some day
Xflyfun is offline Find More Posts by Xflyfun
Old Feb 19, 2013, 07:58 AM
90mm F-16
Joined Apr 2006
4,623 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xflyfun View Post
I've got my 29 up and running now..
http://youtu.be/XCQ8HpZWDFg
Stock motors/fans on 6S.
I really like how this flys! I may build one with thrust vector some day
Really nice!
Old Feb 20, 2013, 08:34 AM
So many planes, So little time
United States, OR, North Plains
Joined Jul 2010
244 Posts
Thank you

It's a fun edf and I see it (in the air) better than my f-18, something about the tail fins. I've only got a 7 channel radio, what are you vectored thrust guys using for radios on this plane?
Xflyfun is offline Find More Posts by Xflyfun
Old Feb 20, 2013, 09:28 AM
90mm F-16
Joined Apr 2006
4,623 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xflyfun View Post
It's a fun edf and I see it (in the air) better than my f-18, something about the tail fins. I've only got a 7 channel radio, what are you vectored thrust guys using for radios on this plane?
Futaba 10CAG. Without drag chute and canopy ejection.