HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 13, 2012, 03:11 AM
Joined Dec 2012
1 Posts
I just picked (sniped) this puppy up off e-bay for $56.00 cdn, Brand new in packaging with all the gear... (except charger). I am new to the R/C world and would appreciate any tips you, or anyone reading this, can give me. What would be a good sim to use to learn how to fly this big bird?... http://www.bananahobby.com/grey-camo...5421-prd1.html
Laurentian62 is offline Find More Posts by Laurentian62
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 13, 2012, 08:51 AM
4 blades! Scale blades!
Joined Apr 2006
4,365 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurentian62 View Post
I just picked (sniped) this puppy up off e-bay for $56.00 cdn, Brand new in packaging with all the gear... (except charger). I am new to the R/C world and would appreciate any tips you, or anyone reading this, can give me. What would be a good sim to use to learn how to fly this big bird?... http://www.bananahobby.com/grey-camo...5421-prd1.html
Get the Phoenix or the Real Flight sims.

But before anything, get a buddy to teach you the basics.
Tartago is online now Find More Posts by Tartago
Old Dec 13, 2012, 04:46 PM
Gotz tha Jet Feeva!!
United States, GA, Kennesaw
Joined Dec 2011
141 Posts
Quote:
I am new to the R/C world and would appreciate any tips you, or anyone reading this, can give me. What would be a good sim to use to learn how to fly this big bird?...
I wouldn't learn to fly with this jet if I were you. It's a recipe for disaster. Starting on a sim is great, but it isn't a true representation of real world flying. Factors such a depth perception, speed, wind, and sunlight can't be accurately rendered on a sim.

You might consider a Dynam Meteor for a jet trainer. At $120.00,it is very predictable, and has good slow flying characteristics. It can also be upgraded to be a 120MPH+ jet. http://www.graysonhobby.com/catalog/...np-p-1131.html
Purple Pashin is offline Find More Posts by Purple Pashin
Old Dec 13, 2012, 08:35 PM
4 blades! Scale blades!
Joined Apr 2006
4,365 Posts
Agree, better start with a trainer prop plane, then a trainer jet like the T-45.

A friend of mine bought this jet as first plane and crashed on maiden flight.
Old Jan 12, 2013, 10:58 AM
So many planes, So little time
United States, OR, North Plains
Joined Jul 2010
240 Posts
??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tartago View Post
Finally completed mine.

But I'm having a really hard time programming.

Right wing aileron and left flap servos are jittering even with the rod disconnected. I think I better change them.
Tartago,
did you get your plane up yet?
I'm just starting to put one together now.
I thought I'd give this thread a bump
I plan on just the basic 6S stock with DSR 46t gear/lander struts...
I'll fix the pushrods, tint the canopy, Afterburner the back end
That's about it, just keep it simple
Any fresh video's out there?
Xflyfun is online now Find More Posts by Xflyfun
Old Jan 12, 2013, 11:37 AM
Joined Jul 2010
240 Posts
Short flight!

Mig 29 very short flight video
MiG 29 Take Off accident, Belly Take Off (0 min 43 sec)

I hope mine flys better than this one
If you look close you can see the gear going back down @ about 0:22 into the skid I think that's where the black smoke comes from.
Old Jan 13, 2013, 07:12 AM
4 blades! Scale blades!
Joined Apr 2006
4,365 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xflyfun View Post
Tartago,
did you get your plane up yet?
I'm just starting to put one together now.
I thought I'd give this thread a bump
I plan on just the basic 6S stock with DSR 46t gear/lander struts...
I'll fix the pushrods, tint the canopy, Afterburner the back end
That's about it, just keep it simple
Any fresh video's out there?
On holidays until next week. Then I'll finish programming and maiden her.

Cheers.
Old Jan 13, 2013, 09:19 AM
Joined Jul 2010
240 Posts
OK Tartago,

Good wishes on your maiden flight..

I'm not going to use the DSR 46's in this plane...to much work

Looks like I have to search the thread for the wing spar mod.
Old Jan 15, 2013, 11:42 AM
4 blades! Scale blades!
Joined Apr 2006
4,365 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xflyfun View Post
OK Tartago,

Good wishes on your maiden flight..

I'm not going to use the DSR 46's in this plane...to much work

Looks like I have to search the thread for the wing spar mod.
Use the tools to search for the attachments and you will find it. But I think it was a folding wing mod.
Old Jan 20, 2013, 10:10 PM
Yeah, I can fly...
Mesa, Arizona
Joined Jun 2005
2,548 Posts
I just finished putting mine together today. I bought a kit and started from square one. It has Dynam 3000kv motors in the stock fans and 70a escs running on 2 4s 4000 40c packs in parallel. I ran it full on one pack and was putting out 75a and 1000 watts. That is coming from both so it's about half that for each. Going to 5s should put it a little higher but I think it should be fine.

I tossed the TV gear and put in the Lander light kit with dual 70mm afterburners.
I modded the drag chute deployment, I hinged the door and made it a direct connect to the servo to open. I'm going to try just having a little weight to drop on the line and pull the chute out.

I plan to fly it as elevons using both the ailerons and tail. I put metal gear servos on the elevators to handle the stress flying off the tail. I have a smaller SU-34 that flies with this configuration.

Twin rudders, flaps and slats also setup and using the stock retracts.

The pilot is "Crazy Ivan"

I plan on maidening it tomorrow so wish me and Ivan luck!
wyldkrd is offline Find More Posts by wyldkrd
Old Jan 21, 2013, 12:30 AM
4 blades! Scale blades!
Joined Apr 2006
4,365 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wyldkrd View Post
I just finished putting mine together today. I bought a kit and started from square one. It has Dynam 3000kv motors in the stock fans and 70a escs running on 2 4s 4000 40c packs in parallel. I ran it full on one pack and was putting out 75a and 1000 watts. That is coming from both so it's about half that for each. Going to 5s should put it a little higher but I think it should be fine.

I tossed the TV gear and put in the Lander light kit with dual 70mm afterburners.
I modded the drag chute deployment, I hinged the door and made it a direct connect to the servo to open. I'm going to try just having a little weight to drop on the line and pull the chute out.

I plan to fly it as elevons using both the ailerons and tail. I put metal gear servos on the elevators to handle the stress flying off the tail. I have a smaller SU-34 that flies with this configuration.

Twin rudders, flaps and slats also setup and using the stock retracts.

The pilot is "Crazy Ivan"

I plan on maidening it tomorrow so wish me and Ivan luck!
Well done! Good luck on your maiden!
Old Jan 21, 2013, 02:29 PM
Munich
Joined Dec 2008
1,149 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wyldkrd View Post
It has Dynam 3000kv motors in the stock fans and 70a escs running on 2 4s 4000 40c packs in parallel.
Interesting setup. The fans seem to be the weak part. Maybe exchange them later to something better, e.g. Wemotec?
Quote:
That will look good! But did you get rid of the TV altogether, I mean, without putting in e.g. the Freewing nozzles? They are rather good, much better than the LX nozzles.
Quote:
Interesting setup.

Quote:
I plan to fly it as elevons using both the ailerons and tail.
I do so, too. Works well. It could still use even more aileron area.

Quote:
using the stock retracts.
Brrrr... stock retracts :-)!

Cheers and good first flight,
Henrik
hklagges is offline Find More Posts by hklagges
Old Jan 21, 2013, 04:14 PM
Yeah, I can fly...
Mesa, Arizona
Joined Jun 2005
2,548 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hklagges View Post
Interesting setup. The fans seem to be the weak part. Maybe exchange them later to something better, e.g. Wemotec?

That will look good! But did you get rid of the TV altogether, I mean, without putting in e.g. the Freewing nozzles? They are rather good, much better than the LX nozzles.

Interesting setup.

Henrik
I had to go in and replace the battery leads. It was getting very hot when I ran it up so I went to 10 AWG wire from the escs to the batteries.
She comes in at 6.6 lbs with 2-4s 4000 packs. Based on 150watts/lb rule I am dead on with it running at about 75a-1000watts on the Wattmeter.

I kept the nozzles, just took the "ball", servos and links out of the equation. The afterburners are in the rings that glue to the fuse and then I glued the nozzles on those. I put them on floor and stood the plane on them. I used my iPhone level app and think I got them as straight as possible.

I'm currently unemployed so I had to work with what I had on hand to get this up and running. I will probably put different fans in down the road as well as the Lander retracts for it. They seem to be working fine and added some screws to hold them in better.

I'm also going to replace the elevator linkages, I have some 2-56 kwik links on rods and will swap that out today. Maiden should be Tuesday now.
wyldkrd is offline Find More Posts by wyldkrd
Old Jan 22, 2013, 11:16 AM
United States, CA, Lake Forest
Joined Nov 2010
565 Posts
Quote:
DO NOT use this plane to learn to fly!!!! Way way above beginner level.

I've had 6 of these, (6th still flying) do yourself a favor, buy the FMS or Freewing F16. Its a great airframe and cheap. RTF version without radio for FMS F16 is $125, Freewing F16 has thrust vectoring just like the Mig-29. This wold be a great warm up practice plane before you get into the Mig-29.
Wargassm is offline Find More Posts by Wargassm
Old Jan 22, 2013, 11:16 AM
United States, CA, Lake Forest
Joined Nov 2010
565 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hklagges View Post

Interesting setup.

Henrik
Nothing wrong with Stock retracts!!!
Wargassm is offline Find More Posts by Wargassm