SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 06, 2012, 10:35 AM
United States, LA, Gray
Joined Jul 2011
214 Posts
I've replaced the stock ESCs with Turnigy Plush 60A ESCs (burnt a stock ESC on the bench!), yet I can't seem to be able to use 4-cell packs....any idea why?

I don't imagine that the stock motors are not allowing use of 4-cell packs....it's usually the ESC that limits the number of cells. These Turnigy ESCs are good for 6-cells apiece....I'm baffled! I've plugged 4-cell packs into it, but only get a steady beep, beep from the ESCs and no power.

My perception of the jet is that it flies well but is moderately under-powered, so you must use more power than necessary to maintain normal flight. It really needs 4 cells per motor; the extra thrust would surely allow for lower throttle settings and longer flight times, besides having decent power to perform really nice maneuvers.
DontTMACajun is offline Find More Posts by DontTMACajun
Last edited by DontTMACajun; Nov 06, 2012 at 10:43 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 06, 2012, 10:53 AM
USA, AZ, Buckeye
Joined Feb 2010
530 Posts
4 Cell pack? This is a 6 cell plane. I would be surprised if it took off with 4 cells.
mray is offline Find More Posts by mray
Old Nov 06, 2012, 11:24 AM
United States, NM, Clovis
Joined Oct 2011
3,138 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DontTMACajun View Post
I've replaced the stock ESCs with Turnigy Plush 60A ESCs (burnt a stock ESC on the bench!), yet I can't seem to be able to use 4-cell packs....any idea why?

I don't imagine that the stock motors are not allowing use of 4-cell packs....it's usually the ESC that limits the number of cells. These Turnigy ESCs are good for 6-cells apiece....I'm baffled! I've plugged 4-cell packs into it, but only get a steady beep, beep from the ESCs and no power.

My perception of the jet is that it flies well but is moderately under-powered, so you must use more power than necessary to maintain normal flight. It really needs 4 cells per motor; the extra thrust would surely allow for lower throttle settings and longer flight times, besides having decent power to perform really nice maneuvers.
Are you only using one 4 cell pack? If your using two, are they hooked in parallel or series? If they are hooked in series they would then be 8 cell which would explain why it doesn't work if esc's are rated to 6s. If they are hooked in parallel you would still have 4s and as mentioned above wont be enough.
DamonH is online now Find More Posts by DamonH
Old Nov 06, 2012, 03:11 PM
United States, LA, Gray
Joined Jul 2011
214 Posts
I'm using two 3-cell packs connected in series. So yes, it's flying on 3-cell....that's what the instructions called for. When I tried to 4-cell packs in series, it wouldn't work.

I see that some of you are flying with a 6-cell pack; I'm assuming connected in parallel?
Last edited by DontTMACajun; Nov 06, 2012 at 03:26 PM.
Old Nov 06, 2012, 03:34 PM
United States, CA, Cameron Park
Joined May 2007
1,259 Posts
The Plush ESC cannot go over 6S if I remember correctly. If you want to run your setup on 8S (two 4S in series) you will need an ESC that can handle it such as a Castle ICE 75/100, or any HV ESC that can handle your current. Can your motors and EDF units handle 8S?
Highfly! is offline Find More Posts by Highfly!
Site Sponsor
Old Nov 06, 2012, 03:42 PM
Joined Oct 2011
3,138 Posts
Quote:
I'm using two 3-cell packs connected in series. So yes, it's flying on 3-cell....that's what the instructions called for. When I tried to 4-cell packs in series, it wouldn't work.

I see that some of you are flying with a 6-cell pack; I'm assuming connected in parallel?
Running two 4 cell in series goes back to my previous post saying that if they were in series it is 8 cell and I dont think the esc's will handle 8 cell.
Old Nov 06, 2012, 05:52 PM
United States, LA, Gray
Joined Jul 2011
214 Posts
Wait, that's my mistake. Two three-cell packs in parallel, to create a 6-cell pack. D'oh
Old Nov 06, 2012, 05:54 PM
United States, LA, Gray
Joined Jul 2011
214 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Highfly! View Post
Can your motors and EDF units handle 8S?
Probably not, they're the stock units. I had a brainfart in my prior statement!
Old Nov 06, 2012, 05:59 PM
United States, LA, Gray
Joined Jul 2011
214 Posts
Wondering....if the setup utilizes 6-cell power, why not have two independent 6-cell packs? Each on it's own ESC and motor, and y-harnessed into the receiver? Would it work?
Old Nov 06, 2012, 06:52 PM
United States, CA, Cameron Park
Joined May 2007
1,259 Posts
Yes it will.

Quote:
Wondering....if the setup utilizes 6-cell power, why not have two independent 6-cell packs? Each on it's own ESC and motor, and y-harnessed into the receiver? Would it work?
Highfly! is offline Find More Posts by Highfly!
Site Sponsor
Old Nov 06, 2012, 08:50 PM
Joined Oct 2011
3,138 Posts
I think the issue with actually doing two 6s packs is weight. Two 6s packs would be way heavy.
Old Nov 06, 2012, 09:27 PM
United States, TN, Jackson
Joined Mar 2007
4,014 Posts
Quote:
Wait, that's my mistake. Two three-cell packs in parallel, to create a 6-cell pack. D'oh
NO!!!...You connect two 3S packs in SERIES to equal 6S...You need 6S to fly this plane....Preferably 5000mAh 35C....

Kevin
Kevin Greene is offline Find More Posts by Kevin Greene
Old Nov 07, 2012, 12:56 AM
United States, MD, Clinton
Joined Oct 2010
1,002 Posts
lol, was wondering when someone would start shouting with this series/parallel talk.

I favor the last one though^. Parallel is building more mah with the same volt count.
houstonderk is offline Find More Posts by houstonderk
Old Nov 07, 2012, 04:46 AM
Joined Oct 2011
3,138 Posts
Quote:
Probably not, they're the stock units. I had a brainfart in my prior statement!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Greene View Post
NO!!!...You connect two 3S packs in SERIES to equal 6S...You need 6S to fly this plane....Preferably 5000mAh 35C....

Kevin
I think he realized his mistake in this post. It is right below the one he said two 3s in parallel for 6s.
Old Nov 07, 2012, 08:11 PM
United States, TN, Jackson
Joined Mar 2007
4,014 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DamonH View Post
I think he realized his mistake in this post. It is right below the one he said two 3s in parallel for 6s.
Good deal!!!...The only reason for shouting is that I HATE to see a guy make a mistake that could cost him a plane......Shouting was for emphasis and to get the changes in ASAP...Just trying to help.......

Kevin
Kevin Greene is offline Find More Posts by Kevin Greene