HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 15, 2012, 01:42 AM
90mm F-16
Joined Apr 2006
4,654 Posts
The LG on my MiG had the controller busted on arrival.

I changed them by Lander's.
Tartago is online now Find More Posts by Tartago
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 15, 2012, 11:06 AM
United States, FL, Hollywood
Joined Aug 2010
1,565 Posts
The landing gear are totally unreliable so until I get some retracts I set them deployed with a bit of glue.
urrl is offline Find More Posts by urrl
Old Sep 16, 2012, 09:31 PM
Joined Aug 2010
1,565 Posts
Did the maiden this evening. I had the aileron and elevator travel adjusted way to low so I was struggling to turn and keep the nose up with standard, not delta mixing. Fortunately I landed, and I must say extremely well. I would guess it will land better than my SU-35 once the adjustments are made. I got two 3400 30C 3S racing car batteries from my LHS to do the job since 3600mAh airplane batteries are so hard to find.

These have a hard plastic casing and are surprisingly light. I had plenty of rear room placement left in the cockpit to balance the CG. Hope to get a video soon.
Old Sep 17, 2012, 03:49 PM
Joined Aug 2010
1,565 Posts
the Jet was not as fast probably due to the type of battery and the cameraman had very few good shots. I made a short preview anyway.
MIG29 Preview (0 min 53 sec)

I purchased two 3S 5000mAh 35C VENOM batteries since the video so hopefully I will shoot another flight soon.
Old Sep 18, 2012, 04:22 PM
Joined Aug 2010
1,565 Posts
Just an update: I ran the two 5000mAh Venom batteres in a ground test and the Y connector burned out. I had my LHS make a new Y connector with 10 gauge wire and hope for a test flight tomorrow. I feel these Venom 35C 3S batteries will work very well, however I had to do some cutting of the cockpit to make one of the batteries fit under the pilot, the other battery directly behind it, for a proper CG balance.
Old Sep 19, 2012, 10:33 AM
90mm F-16
Joined Apr 2006
4,654 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by urrl View Post
the Jet was not as fast probably due to the type of battery and the cameraman had very few good shots. I made a short preview anyway.
http://youtu.be/jZyx0Mdb_tE

I purchased two 3S 5000mAh 35C VENOM batteries since the video so hopefully I will shoot another flight soon.
Nice teaser!

Full video pls!
Old Sep 19, 2012, 02:15 PM
Joined Aug 2010
1,565 Posts
Still no one to video but my new POV cam arrived.
MIG-29 with new 1280x720p POV cam (3 min 36 sec)
Old Sep 21, 2012, 02:16 PM
Joined Aug 2010
1,565 Posts
Got someone to help video this time
My MIG-29 70mm cool flight (2 min 8 sec)
Last edited by urrl; Sep 21, 2012 at 03:59 PM.
Old Sep 22, 2012, 07:32 PM
90mm F-16
Joined Apr 2006
4,654 Posts
Really cool!!!
Old Oct 01, 2012, 12:04 PM
"Aircraftus Fragmentum"
Motor City USA
Joined Mar 2007
3,805 Posts
If anyone has a new set of V2 gear they are looking to dump, PM me.

Love this plane.... I need a nose gear and spares. On pavement they have help up OK....

I need to by the replacements from RCCastle this winter.

Thanks.
kydawg1 is online now Find More Posts by kydawg1
Old Oct 04, 2012, 10:20 PM
Joined Apr 2012
18 Posts
So my Mig arrived late last week and I tried to power the plane up but it didn't turn out too well. I'm using 2 3s 3200mah 20C batts. I was able to find the throttle cable from the BEC buried in the plane, so I connected that to the thrott channel on the receiver and plugged the batts in. The receiver's bind light blinked intermittently for just a few seconds then nothing.

I'm assuming that either the ESC's aren't working or the BEC isn't working but I'm not sure about either. Or there's another cable in the fuse somewhere that I should be powering the receiver from? (the manual is absolutely no help)

I have a multimeter but I can't find any kind of documentation on these components or how to test them. Does anyone know the proper procedure for testing ESCs and/or BECs?

Also, assuming it's the ESC, does anyone have a good suggestion for a replacement? I plan on replacing them anyway, I just wanted to work on getting the planes mixing done this week.

I'm up for any suggestions or links for help.
Pathfynder is offline Find More Posts by Pathfynder
Old Oct 04, 2012, 10:35 PM
USA, MD, Frederick
Joined Jan 2010
4,143 Posts
I think the cable from the BEC is *not* the throttle channel, it is merely conditioned DC to keep your RX powered when it goes into cut-off mode. Plug this into any unused channel. The throttle cable comes directly from the ESC.

http://www.bananahobby.com/bh-radio-wiring.html
fredmdbud is online now Find More Posts by fredmdbud
Old Oct 05, 2012, 12:40 AM
Aviator750
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined Sep 2011
33 Posts
Ordered my LX Mig-29 Стрижи(Strizhi) or Red Star from Banana Hobby 5 days ago. Due to arrive today sometime. Reading through I see I need to upgrade the Retracts to RCLander which I've ordered from Hobby-Paridise and due to ship out Oct 11-12.

Is there any other tips or mods I should do in order to have a good flying machine. I was looking at the counter rotating fan with motors and upgrading the ESC to 70 or 80 amp.

Suggestions Welcome.

Aviator
Aviator750 is offline Find More Posts by Aviator750
Old Oct 05, 2012, 05:32 AM
Deutschland
Joined Oct 2008
80 Posts
Please refer to post 3714 and 3863
RCLanders: replace strut with 4mm and spring with wire diameter of 1mm
Counter rotating fans: I cannot rememer someone experiencing and documenting an effect at this MIG
Rainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aviator750 View Post
Ordered my LX Mig-29 Стрижи(Strizhi) or Red Star from Banana Hobby 5 days ago. Due to arrive today sometime. Reading through I see I need to upgrade the Retracts to RCLander which I've ordered from Hobby-Paridise and due to ship out Oct 11-12.

Is there any other tips or mods I should do in order to have a good flying machine. I was looking at the counter rotating fan with motors and upgrading the ESC to 70 or 80 amp.

Suggestions Welcome.

Aviator
husel is offline Find More Posts by husel
Old Oct 05, 2012, 11:42 AM
Joined Apr 2012
18 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fredmdbud View Post
I think the cable from the BEC is *not* the throttle channel, it is merely conditioned DC to keep your RX powered when it goes into cut-off mode. Plug this into any unused channel. The throttle cable comes directly from the ESC.

http://www.bananahobby.com/bh-radio-wiring.html
That's not quite the case with this plane. It came with 2 ESCs, both have the power lead clipped but the signal leads are intact. The BEC has the signal leads clipped but the power leads intact. All three are spliced together into one lead labeled "throttle".

I checked the power lead on the throttle cable with my multimeter but got nothing. Would it make sense to see if Im sending power into the BEC?
Pathfynder is offline Find More Posts by Pathfynder