HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 03, 2012, 04:30 PM
Canada, AB, Calgary
Joined Oct 2010
343 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by waverider57200 View Post
That, the better worm gear, sounds like it might be waiting for. I wonder if there is any chance that the glue that secures the small worm gear stop nut is getting on the threads enough to jamb it up when it tries to retract. With mine, they will work a few times consecutively, and then if they sit for a while they jamb up. I can see the units torquing trying to break loose. I'm having more and more doubts about servoless retracts. All of my older models with Robart mechanical and servo were so reliable and easy to work on.
It's not the glue. It's two bronze nuts with flat surfaces getting squeezed together so tight that they push out any lubricant. Add a washer - the problem is completely gone. Also you need to check all other arms and screws (better glue these arms to shafts).
After I did all the fixes these stock retracts worked out pretty well for me. MIG has a really nice landing envelope (just reduce throttle to 20-30% and it lands itself instead of trying to glide forever and then stall like many planes do).
Or buy metal retracts from HK (http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=21160). But you'll need to replace the spring in the front gear - it collapses under 400g instead of 2kg and put the best BEC (at least 5A const) you can afford.
Sockrat is offline Find More Posts by Sockrat
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 03, 2012, 04:48 PM
Canada, AB, Calgary
Joined Oct 2010
343 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by waverider57200 View Post
Sorry to hear that. Was it a total loss? I've been flying mine up high, gear and flaps down, TV on, slow in a high alpha and still haven't been able to make it break into a violent stall.
Was a pure piloting error: didn't get used to it reflecting on the sun (red one almost blinds me at certain angles) and in the turn rolled it for like 100 degrees instead of 60 20m above the ground.
Complete loss. It hit the pond about 2m from the shore line (about 30cm of water). The front of the plane (up to the wings) just disappeared. I found eyes, legs and arms of the pilot floating Batteries were 30cm into the mud - found them by bubbles but with minor damage. Most servos gone but the rest of electronics is fine.
Broke my own rule that first few flights of the day are on a cheap fast 50mm jet to warm up.
Sockrat is offline Find More Posts by Sockrat
Old Aug 03, 2012, 11:03 PM
United States, CA, Lake Forest
Joined Nov 2010
566 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RawmadeCF View Post
BH doesnt have the V3 in in the red star or green camo I believe. I think only their gray one has the improved worm gear, metal edfs and MG servos...and even then im not positive.
I know they are out there but dont know who has them. BH's Red star Mig is definitely not the V3.
Not true. i have them on my red star and on green camouflage
Wargassm is offline Find More Posts by Wargassm
Old Aug 06, 2012, 05:32 AM
Has nowhere to store his Jets!
Sydney
Joined May 2007
252 Posts
Hi Everyone...
What's the best way to remove the stock plastic landing gear out of this Mig-29? I have the HK/Lander metal gear coming and was wondering how everyone did there jets.. Mine seem to be glued in quite well...

Also has anyone (Brandon!! ) still have any pictures of the gear installed in the mains and nose If you would be able to post them that would be awesome.. Just looking at how/rough measurements and how the nose gear steering was done, etc.. pictures tell a thousand words!!

Many Thanks
Steve
Steve2308 is offline Find More Posts by Steve2308
Old Aug 06, 2012, 06:23 AM
Perpetually covered in resin
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Dec 2011
555 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wargassm View Post
Not true. i have them on my red star and on green camouflage
Your red star came with MG servos, alloy edfs and the v2 worm gears? bah BH must have given me old stock....my red star is only a week old from them =(
That really bums me out.
RawmadeCF is offline Find More Posts by RawmadeCF
Old Aug 06, 2012, 01:30 PM
Fly & Have Fun..Enjoy the Ride
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Mar 2009
5,659 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve2308 View Post
Hi Everyone...
What's the best way to remove the stock plastic landing gear out of this Mig-29? I have the HK/Lander metal gear coming and was wondering how everyone did there jets.. Mine seem to be glued in quite well...

Also has anyone (Brandon!! ) still have any pictures of the gear installed in the mains and nose If you would be able to post them that would be awesome.. Just looking at how/rough measurements and how the nose gear steering was done, etc.. pictures tell a thousand words!!

Many Thanks
Steve
Here ya go steve
brandonmoon is offline Find More Posts by brandonmoon
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Relocated back to Arizona
Old Aug 06, 2012, 07:06 PM
90mm F-16
Joined Apr 2006
4,630 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve2308 View Post
Hi Everyone...

Many Thanks
Steve
To remove the plastic retracts, just activate them open, then yank them right and left until they detach from the foam.
Tartago is online now Find More Posts by Tartago
Old Aug 07, 2012, 06:50 PM
Munich
Joined Dec 2008
1,177 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tartago View Post
To remove the plastic retracts, just activate them open, then yank them right and left until they detach from the foam.
And if they don't want to be yanked, use dental floss to cut through parts of the glue.
hklagges is offline Find More Posts by hklagges
Old Aug 07, 2012, 10:32 PM
Has nowhere to store his Jets!
Sydney
Joined May 2007
252 Posts
Thankyou very much Brandon, Tartago and hklagges for sharing... much appreciated..

Looking forward to getting this bird done... been sitting around for long enough!!
Steve
Steve2308 is offline Find More Posts by Steve2308
Last edited by Steve2308; Aug 08, 2012 at 01:14 AM.
Old Aug 10, 2012, 07:04 AM
Joined Jun 2012
21 Posts
banana hobby has started selling all the parts for the mig on their website.
Wader237 is offline Find More Posts by Wader237
Old Aug 19, 2012, 10:01 AM
Joined Jun 2012
21 Posts
so ive stripped out the left vector nozzle pitch servo and i dont know if it's a standard or reverse servo doe anyone know?
Wader237 is offline Find More Posts by Wader237
Old Aug 19, 2012, 07:07 PM
USA, AZ, Buckeye
Joined Feb 2010
531 Posts
Where are the kit versions of the MIG in red and blue available? Anyone know? It seems BH sells the ARF but I really just need the kit.
mray is offline Find More Posts by mray
Old Aug 19, 2012, 09:29 PM
Perpetually covered in resin
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Dec 2011
555 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mray View Post
Where are the kit versions of the MIG in red and blue available? Anyone know? It seems BH sells the ARF but I really just need the kit.
BH had them before switching to their new site...they dont have them now?
RawmadeCF is offline Find More Posts by RawmadeCF
Old Aug 19, 2012, 09:49 PM
USA, AZ, Buckeye
Joined Feb 2010
531 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RawmadeCF View Post
BH had them before switching to their new site...they dont have them now?
the only red/blue they have is in an ARF version. i may have to go that route but would rather buy just the frame.
Old Aug 23, 2012, 12:22 AM
USA, AZ, Buckeye
Joined Feb 2010
531 Posts
Does anyone know if the ARF's shipping today are the V2 with new fans and upgraded retracts?