HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Jul 20, 2012, 11:28 PM
Registered User
USA, AZ, Buckeye
Joined Feb 2010
530 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve2308 View Post
Wow!!! I've been staring at those... didn't think they were the same thing... Go HK!!! I'm dead broke now!! lol
Steve

I just put those on my mig. Those are nice.
mray is offline Find More Posts by mray
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 23, 2012, 04:24 PM
Registered User
Canada, AB, Calgary
Joined Oct 2010
208 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flanker View Post
Wow that is really help ... thanks much appreciated. I will have to decide between EF and SU-35 it seems.
Go for SU if you order from banana. Almost the same price but you get way more of a plane. Or try SU-34 if it's your 1st TV jet - its more economical, lighter and much less damage on crashes. (pancaked it twice from 20m with almost no damage - battery ejects into the ground preserving the plane)

MIG is great if you plan to spend time on it. Eventually you'll get most for the buck (+lights, flaps/slats, dragchute, gear doors) but requires quite some work and gear replacement. And it's less thought-through and agile than SU.

For aerobatics I find 2-engine 2 rudder planes much better. EF or F-35 f.ex. tend to roll if you do full up with TV or take off at low speed.
SU 34/35, MIG and EF are eventually just a big flying wing with elevators in the back or front. MIG has the largest wingspan and most roll authority.

Anyway, if you buy one you'll eventually get them all with time
(I told wife I'd buy just SU-34 and MIG, ended up with SU-35, SU-47, EF, F-35 as well)
Sockrat is offline Find More Posts by Sockrat
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2012, 02:13 PM
Registered User
flanker's Avatar
Lowell, MA
Joined Feb 2004
592 Posts
Thanks Sockrat ... much appreciated. I leaning more towards SU-35 based on all the feedback.
flanker is offline Find More Posts by flanker
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2012, 04:50 PM
Registered User
Canada, AB, Calgary
Joined Oct 2010
208 Posts
Personally I think Russian 4th generation fighter airframes are the best for 3D. They were designed for a dogfight including after-stall maneuverability - contrary to NATO's shoot&run concept and were not spoiled yet by stealth shapes.
Just pick up model implementation that suits you the best between Insane 3D Sebart MIG to all possible bells&whistles LX.
Don't expect to buy su-35 and upgrade it to Sebart - EDF's are not upgradable that much! (unless you remove ducts and replace 70mm with 90mm). This is not prop planes where you can make a heli out of any airplane by replacing motor and propeller.
Sockrat is offline Find More Posts by Sockrat
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2012, 08:26 AM
Registered User
Joined Jun 2012
21 Posts
So I got the mig in the air, but after 1 min the engines cut out anyone else had this problem. Solutions? I think it's a breakin period for the motors and the fans.
Wader237 is offline Find More Posts by Wader237
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2012, 10:07 AM
Registered User
DamonH's Avatar
United States, NM, Clovis
Joined Oct 2011
2,962 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wader237 View Post
So I got the mig in the air, but after 1 min the engines cut out anyone else had this problem. Solutions? I think it's a breakin period for the motors and the fans.
More details would help. When you say cut out, did they come back on? Was it a dead stick landing or crash? Do the motors work now? Was there any fried electronics smell?
DamonH is offline Find More Posts by DamonH
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2012, 10:09 AM
Registered User
Joined Jun 2012
21 Posts
The motors stil worked just the suddenly slowed down checked the temps not hot at all. It was a dead stick landing
Wader237 is offline Find More Posts by Wader237
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 01, 2012, 02:58 PM
waverider57
orange county ca
Joined Jun 2009
51 Posts
Hi guys, I've been following this thread and appreciate all of you imput. I have had a stock grey version and have been flying it off and on for 7-8 months. I saw the pics of the new alum. edf housings, 2500kv motors, and the "improved" landing gear. I'm considering buying a backup from B H, but I want the latest version. Does anyone know how long the latest version has been out with the latest improvements that were posted back in June?
waverider57200 is offline Find More Posts by waverider57200
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 01, 2012, 11:47 PM
Perpetually covered in resin
RawmadeCF's Avatar
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Dec 2011
555 Posts
BH doesnt have the V3 in in the red star or green camo I believe. I think only their gray one has the improved worm gear, metal edfs and MG servos...and even then im not positive.
I know they are out there but dont know who has them. BH's Red star Mig is definitely not the V3.
RawmadeCF is offline Find More Posts by RawmadeCF
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 02, 2012, 12:08 AM
waverider57
orange county ca
Joined Jun 2009
51 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RawmadeCF View Post
BH doesnt have the V3 in in the red star or green camo I believe. I think only their gray one has the improved worm gear, metal edfs and MG servos...and even then im not positive.
I know they are out there but dont know who has them. BH's Red star Mig is definitely not the V3.
Thanks for that info. I didn't think that they would have that one on sale. I think my 6 month old grey is probably a V1 as I my esc's and motors were surging from one side to the other never making steady power and the retracts would not work with my Airtronics radio. I later put a cheap spectrum orange rx from HK in and everything worked fine with my DX7. Sounds like it would be worth waiting for the V3. I've also had trouble with the retracts sticking in the down position, very hard to have them be reliable. As this was my first jet, I flew the airplane a lot of the time just getting used to it's slow and dirty handling trying to make it stall. What a stable airplane!
waverider57200 is offline Find More Posts by waverider57200
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 02, 2012, 04:16 PM
Registered User
Canada, AB, Calgary
Joined Oct 2010
208 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by waverider57200 View Post
Thanks for that info. I didn't think that they would have that one on sale. I think my 6 month old grey is probably a V1 as I my esc's and motors were surging from one side to the other never making steady power and the retracts would not work with my Airtronics radio. I later put a cheap spectrum orange rx from HK in and everything worked fine with my DX7. Sounds like it would be worth waiting for the V3. I've also had trouble with the retracts sticking in the down position, very hard to have them be reliable. As this was my first jet, I flew the airplane a lot of the time just getting used to it's slow and dirty handling trying to make it stall. What a stable airplane!
I haven't heard about V3. Isn't it just mods people put on? don't think metal edf's will make it much better: the bird is abit bulky for 70mm imho.
To resolve sticking gear - add washers on the worm shaft between moving and fixed nuts. It eliminates the problem.
I stalled mine last weekend thanks to slow roll rate. Banked too hard and couldn't level in time. On any 50mm jet I could have spinned 5 times from that altitude.
Sockrat is offline Find More Posts by Sockrat
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 02, 2012, 10:53 PM
Perpetually covered in resin
RawmadeCF's Avatar
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Dec 2011
555 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sockrat View Post
I haven't heard about V3. Isn't it just mods people put on? don't think metal edf's will make it much better: the bird is abit bulky for 70mm imho.
To resolve sticking gear - add washers on the worm shaft between moving and fixed nuts. It eliminates the problem.
I stalled mine last weekend thanks to slow roll rate. Banked too hard and couldn't level in time. On any 50mm jet I could have spinned 5 times from that altitude.
The metal EDFs are just a small plus...I wouldnt hold out for it...but the worm gear update is a big plus. Gets rid of using the small nut to retract the gears and instead uses a worm gear that threads into a long metal tube. A much much better design. Plus it also has metal gear servos which is a nice touch.
RawmadeCF is offline Find More Posts by RawmadeCF
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 03, 2012, 03:05 PM
waverider57
orange county ca
Joined Jun 2009
51 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RawmadeCF View Post
The metal EDFs are just a small plus...I wouldnt hold out for it...but the worm gear update is a big plus. Gets rid of using the small nut to retract the gears and instead uses a worm gear that threads into a long metal tube. A much much better design. Plus it also has metal gear servos which is a nice touch.
That, the better worm gear, sounds like it might be waiting for. I wonder if there is any chance that the glue that secures the small worm gear stop nut is getting on the threads enough to jamb it up when it tries to retract. With mine, they will work a few times consecutively, and then if they sit for a while they jamb up. I can see the units torquing trying to break loose. I'm having more and more doubts about servoless retracts. All of my older models with Robart mechanical and servo were so reliable and easy to work on.
waverider57200 is offline Find More Posts by waverider57200
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 03, 2012, 03:11 PM
waverider57
orange county ca
Joined Jun 2009
51 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sockrat View Post
I haven't heard about V3. Isn't it just mods people put on? don't think metal edf's will make it much better: the bird is abit bulky for 70mm imho.
To resolve sticking gear - add washers on the worm shaft between moving and fixed nuts. It eliminates the problem.
I stalled mine last weekend thanks to slow roll rate. Banked too hard and couldn't level in time. On any 50mm jet I could have spinned 5 times from that altitude.
Sorry to hear that. Was it a total loss? I've been flying mine up high, gear and flaps down, TV on, slow in a high alpha and still haven't been able to make it break into a violent stall.
waverider57200 is offline Find More Posts by waverider57200
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 03, 2012, 03:14 PM
waverider57
orange county ca
Joined Jun 2009
51 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sockrat View Post
I haven't heard about V3. Isn't it just mods people put on? don't think metal edf's will make it much better: the bird is abit bulky for 70mm imho.
To resolve sticking gear - add washers on the worm shaft between moving and fixed nuts. It eliminates the problem.
I stalled mine last weekend thanks to slow roll rate. Banked too hard and couldn't level in time. On any 50mm jet I could have spinned 5 times from that altitude.
The washers sound like a good idea, thanks
waverider57200 is offline Find More Posts by waverider57200
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion Flyfly mig 29 OVT ak MIG 35 amigob Electric Ducted Fan Jet Talk 11 Oct 28, 2010 12:22 PM
Sold HET-RC Mig 29 Twin Fans Grey 3DTRYER Aircraft - Electric - Jets (FS/W) 0 Dec 07, 2009 10:15 PM
For Sale Mig-29 twin fan (including 2 X Het 6904mm fans 3DTRYER Aircraft - Electric - Jets (FS/W) 0 Jun 17, 2009 04:58 PM
Discussion new mig-29 twin fans to be out soon gazza2003au Foamy EDFs 11 Feb 24, 2009 05:08 PM
Discussion HET Mig-29 Vs FlyFly Mig 29 skydve76 Electric Ducted Fan Jet Talk 2 Oct 06, 2008 12:32 PM