Tartago is offline Find More Posts by Tartago
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 07, 2012, 08:01 PM
Perth, Australia
Joined Nov 2010
46 Posts
Need Grey canopy

Anyone have a spare grey canopy they'd like to sell?
Basman is offline Find More Posts by Basman
Old Jul 07, 2012, 09:02 PM
United States, TN, Jackson
Joined Mar 2007
3,909 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tartago View Post
Some progress.

I used Ronseal varnish glossy to protect the lower part.
That varnish looks GREAT!!!...Since your chosen paint scheme is the "show" version you should varnish the entire model!!!...I think that it would look fantastic!!!

I got the chute problem worked out so that the rod won't foul the chute..I made a chute housing out of some thin Lexan material that I make thrust tubes from...The housing is flexible and slick to allow the chute to easily deploy...I used the stock chute cone mounting hardware as well as a couple of rare earth magnets for peace of mind to hold the chute housing in place...

Kevin
Kevin Greene is offline Find More Posts by Kevin Greene
Old Jul 08, 2012, 03:56 PM
Deutschland
Joined Oct 2008
76 Posts
Gear doors do not close

I'm using the RCLander gears.
When the gears retract and try to close the gear doors by pushing the small rope - the doors to not fully close as the gear mechanism is not strong enough... the gear electronic then switches off after 5s

Anyone an idea? Brandon and others: did it work on your MIGs?
husel is offline Find More Posts by husel
Old Jul 08, 2012, 04:14 PM
Fly & Have Fun..Enjoy the Ride
Joined Mar 2009
5,654 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by husel View Post
I'm using the RCLander gears.
When the gears retract and try to close the gear doors by pushing the small rope - the doors to not fully close as the gear mechanism is not strong enough... the gear electronic then switches off after 5s

Anyone an idea? Brandon and others: did it work on your MIGs?
It worked ok for me, but you do have to tinker with it and find a spot at which it engages the string with the greatest ammount of force and will close the doors
brandonmoon is offline Find More Posts by brandonmoon
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 09, 2012, 04:52 PM
Deutschland
Joined Oct 2008
76 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandonmoon View Post
It worked ok for me, but you do have to tinker with it and find a spot at which it engages the string with the greatest ammount of force and will close the doors
Ok, worked on 2 of the 3 retracts - one did not procude enough power... I exchanged the motor unit with a spare one, works now.
Old Jul 09, 2012, 08:58 PM
Lowell, MA
Joined Feb 2004
592 Posts
Is anyone belly landing this one. My field doesn't have a paved runway and I am wondering if the base is solid and unobtrusive enough to land on short/runway grass.
flanker is offline Find More Posts by flanker
Old Jul 09, 2012, 09:04 PM
Bond, Hotglue Bond
Joined Apr 2006
3,838 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flanker View Post
Is anyone belly landing this one. My field doesn't have a paved runway and I am wondering if the base is solid and unobtrusive enough to land on short/runway grass.
The jet intakes and ducts are not strong enough for that. IMHO You will have to reinforce them with at least 2oz FG cloth and epoxy.
Tartago is offline Find More Posts by Tartago
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 10, 2012, 08:09 AM
Joined Jun 2012
21 Posts
You cant land or takeoff on the gear. When coming in just have the flaps down and have a high attitude and you should be fine.
Wader237 is offline Find More Posts by Wader237
Old Jul 10, 2012, 12:31 PM
Deutschland
Joined Oct 2008
76 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tartago View Post
The jet intakes and ducts are not strong enough for that. IMHO You will have to reinforce them with at least 2oz FG cloth and epoxy.
.. and have a special look at the thrust vectoring servos ...
Old Jul 10, 2012, 05:48 PM
Munich
Joined Dec 2008
1,060 Posts
Belly Landing

Hi there,

Quote:
Is anyone belly landing this one.
Yes, I am belly landing it all the time. My configuration is relatively light, so there is not that much damage from the landings. However, even if you come in slow with flaps and slats fully extended etc, the underside of the intakes will become more and more dented over time. Also, the servos for horizontal tv deflection will become damaged quickly.

So, at the minimum, install little styrofoam or plastic blocks to protect the servo horns from the tv servos.

I ended up putting the skids from a SebArt MiG29 onto the LX MiG. That works very well on grass.

Cheers,
Henrik
hklagges is offline Find More Posts by hklagges
Old Jul 10, 2012, 06:03 PM
He builds stuff. :)
Canada, AB, Grande Prairie
Joined Sep 2007
1,663 Posts
Well this was one of my favorite jets as those who have followed this thread closely will agree with. But I'm moving to composite jets and will probably part out my ultra hot setup. I was going to sell the entire aircraft but I simply don't want to ship a plane this large. Especially made of foam. So the below items are sold as a package.

If someone wants to make thier Mig-29 scream, have unlimited vertical, and be well above 100mph, drop me an email at gmaynard222@gmail.com or PM me here. Up for grabs will be the following.

-Two 70mm Wemo Fans with ARC 2858-1 Motors installed (Ballistic Power).
(Worth $320)
-Two Hobbywing 80amp ESC's (newer condition)
(Worth $100)
-One 5S Nanotech 5000 mah battery
(Worth $50)
-Two Eflight Electric Retracts with Wheels
(Worth $100)
-One RC Lander Electronic Nose Gear with metal oleo strut/wheels
(Worth $50)

I want $395 for the entire package which includes everything above except shipping.

Everything is ready to run and has run in my Mig with great success. This would be drop in and go. In fact this gear is coming out of the plane shown in the video below.

Glenns LX Mig-29 flight cut short do to an unexpected issue. (2 min 50 sec)

PM me if interested.
Pepperpete is offline Find More Posts by Pepperpete
Last edited by Pepperpete; Jul 10, 2012 at 06:16 PM.
Old Jul 13, 2012, 06:32 PM
Lowell, MA
Joined Feb 2004
592 Posts
I am considering buying LX MiG-29 or eRC EuroFighter or Freewing SU-35. Does anyone have experience with more than one of these and which one would they recommend from stability, quality of components point of view.
flanker is offline Find More Posts by flanker
Old Jul 14, 2012, 02:58 PM
Joined Jun 2012
21 Posts
The lx mig is good you just can't takeoff /land in grass same as the su35 otherwise it's a great plane
Wader237 is offline Find More Posts by Wader237
Old Jul 14, 2012, 03:32 PM
Munich
Joined Dec 2008
1,060 Posts
Hi there,
Quote:
I am considering buying LX MiG-29 or eRC EuroFighter or Freewing SU-35. Does anyone have experience with more than one of these and which one would they recommend from stability, quality of components point of view.
OK, I bite, as I had 3 LX MiGs, 2 Eurofighters and one Su-35.

Quality and design:
  • The Su-35 is by far the most refined design. It has a large number of small and medium-size improvements, for example the elevator enforcements, the screw-on rudders and wings, the removable wing spar, a good battery compartment positioned behind the cockpit, good positioning of the ESCs, bigger elevator servos, plastic servo bays that allow servo exchange without glue, working aerodynamic cheater holes, real servos for the gear doors (not strings like on the LX), access ports for the servo plug connectors so that you don't have to cut into the foam etc.
  • Compared to the Su-35, the LX MiG is really old school. Just look at the flimsy way the elevators are attached. The elevators will work, but for 3D? Same goes for the bending wings of the MiG.
  • Both Freewing designs, i.e. the Su-35 and the Euro, have much better tv nozzles than the LX nozzles. The FW nozzles have foam inside the balls which results in much better airflow than in the LX nozzles. You can blow a lot of power into nothing by pushing it through the LX nozzles...
  • Both the LX and the EF have pretty mediocre thrust-to-weight ratios. The Su-35 is a bit better, as far as I can tell. The original LX MiGs were undermotorized.
  • LX electronics suck, especially the ESCs. I had many failures there. However, many people, including me, also had problems with Freewing servos and their sequencer boards.
  • The little sequencer boards for the gear doors seem to be about equally bad on the LX MiG and the Euro.
  • The wormdrive landing gears of the LX are worse than the Freewing ones, as far as I can tell.
  • It is a pain to get big batteries into the EF, because you will mess up your center of gravity, or you will have to mod the cockpit and the bay behind it significantly.
  • The cockpit on the Su-35 is more cleverly attached than on the Eurofighter (the Eurofighter cockpit has the locking magnets in the front, so the airstream has a much better chance opening it up).
  • The paint job of the red LX MiG is very bad (I have one). On the grey MiG, it is good to very good. The paint job on the EF and the grey Su-35 is also good to very good. On the yellow Su-35, it does not matter, as it is so ugly to begin with .

In the air:
  • The LX is pretty slow in its stock configuration. However, it has a great presence - I like the looks! Also, with the slats and flaps, you can fly it very very slowly, on flybys and for landings. This is very graceful and impressive, for example for spectators.
  • For acrobatics: The EF is pretty good (ask Jandro from Spain), but I think the Su-35 is even better. The MiG is no good. Just look at the very small ailerons, you don't get much of a roll rate there.
  • The Su-35 is also very "clean" in turns. I find it hard to describe it appropriately, but it seems to me that the Su-35 airframe "likes to fly", it tracks well in turns and feels natural.
  • Hand launch: All 3 are relatively easily hand-launched. Maybe the Euro is the best here, it just settles in a bit and off it goes.

Cheers,
Henrik
hklagges is offline Find More Posts by hklagges