HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 19, 2012, 09:04 PM
United States, TN, Jackson
Joined Mar 2007
3,997 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sockrat View Post
Make sure you glue these plastic cups very well, especially the leading edge. And with some real glue. Or probably use 2 of them.
Mine lasted for 20 sec of full throttle and flew our shattered in pieces. Ended up with 2 paper cups per nozzle, they are less prone to cracking and last so far.
THANKS for the heads up!!!...In trial runs---So far, so good!!!......

Can any of you tell me how you set your plane up with a 9 channel radio???...I'm thinking that one of the variable nozzles will have to be coupled with a control surface full time to get all of the gizmos needed to work....So far I have 1) throttle, 2) elevator, 3) aileron, 4) rudder, 5) gear, 6) flaps, 7) Up/down elevator mix for nozzles, 8) left/right aileron mix for nozzles, 9) drogue chute...I'm going to need to couple full time the right/left rudder to the right/left nozzles to get all of this to work...

Kevin
Kevin Greene is offline Find More Posts by Kevin Greene
Last edited by Kevin Greene; Jun 19, 2012 at 09:14 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 20, 2012, 02:16 PM
Canada, AB, Calgary
Joined Oct 2010
208 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Greene View Post
THANKS for the heads up!!!...In trial runs---So far, so good!!!......

Can any of you tell me how you set your plane up with a 9 channel radio???...I'm thinking that one of the variable nozzles will have to be coupled with a control surface full time to get all of the gizmos needed to work....So far I have 1) throttle, 2) elevator, 3) aileron, 4) rudder, 5) gear, 6) flaps, 7) Up/down elevator mix for nozzles, 8) left/right aileron mix for nozzles, 9) drogue chute...I'm going to need to couple full time the right/left rudder to the right/left nozzles to get all of this to work...

Kevin
It also workd well for me until I started to play with TV. Air comes at an angle and tears the edge of the cap off I believe.
I use 8 ch (FlySky aka Turnigy): 7 and 8 on receiver are tv nozzles up/down. Left/right wired with rudder/steering. Chute is on flaps and pops with flaps full down.
Sockrat is offline Find More Posts by Sockrat
Old Jun 20, 2012, 07:18 PM
Joined Mar 2007
3,997 Posts
Quote:
It also workd well for me until I started to play with TV. Air comes at an angle and tears the edge of the cap off I believe.
I use 8 ch (FlySky aka Turnigy): 7 and 8 on receiver are tv nozzles up/down. Left/right wired with rudder/steering. Chute is on flaps and pops with flaps full down.
My cups actually are flush with the surface---No edge for air to grab them...I deliberately cut the cups so that they were oversize on the front end...I then made pie shaped cuts in the cups so that the cups would fit flush inside of the nozzles without the plastic puckering on me...I glued in the cups with industrial grade hot melt glue that will take pliers to remove as well as using Goop between the pie cut "pettles"...Hopefully, my engineering will pay off but only time will tell!!!......

I got to thinking since I made my post----I've thought about incoporating the chute with another function as you did with the flaps...The thing is I'm really looking forward to some high alpha flight with full flaps and with the TV...So--I'm thinking that I might use another channel to deploy the chute...I generally fly with low rates most of the time...But even my low rates generally aren't much different from high rates...I'm thinking that I could do the chute like we did brakes back in the day before we had proportional brake valves...Full down elevator on high rates was used to apply the brakes...Since I don't plan on doing any inverted full down elevator high alpha flying, I could use full down elevator on high rates to deploy the chute...One way to "mix" the full down elevator to activate the chute without an accidental deployment is to make the absolute full down elevator only possible by hitting a switch...The way we did the brakes with full down elevator without activating the brakes in normal flight (and consuming vital air for retract operation) was to make 150% servo travel only available when a switch was hit...I'm now thinking that I can make the chute deploy on high rate elevator when I hit the trainer switch to make the elevator go to max deflection AND the chute servo able to push the chute housing away from the fuselage...As an important safety function I can make a break-away cord out of small test fishing line in case the chute deploys in flight...

Wadduya think????............

Kevin
Old Jun 21, 2012, 05:00 PM
Canada, AB, Calgary
Joined Oct 2010
208 Posts
That may work too. My only concern would be that when paired with elevator that chute cone pushrod will constantly move in flight. It may eventually push the cone off or make a knots on the dragchute and push it out.
I was thinking about a copper wire ring that will break off in case of midair deployment but it would be hard to calibrate.
As for me I plan to use chute before or right after the touchdown. My biggest problem is bouncing and turning on our tarmac runway. If plane is on 3 wheels I don't care it drives into short grass at the end. But when it turns 30 degrees after a bounce that's really bad.
Sockrat is offline Find More Posts by Sockrat
Old Jun 21, 2012, 10:38 PM
Joined Mar 2007
3,997 Posts
Quote:
That may work too. My only concern would be that when paired with elevator that chute cone pushrod will constantly move in flight. It may eventually push the cone off or make a knots on the dragchute and push it out.
I was thinking about a copper wire ring that will break off in case of midair deployment but it would be hard to calibrate.
As for me I plan to use chute before or right after the touchdown. My biggest problem is bouncing and turning on our tarmac runway. If plane is on 3 wheels I don't care it drives into short grass at the end. But when it turns 30 degrees after a bounce that's really bad.
I've thought about the cone moving around some as well...What I'm going to do as some have done is to use small rare earth magnets in conjuction with the stock chute cone mounting hardware to ensure that the cone doesn't come off until it's supposed to...I'm also thinking about getting a model rocket tube and place the chute inside of the tube..The tube will be stationary (glued) in the chute housing and the wire pushrod to push the cone off will be on the outside of the tube in a "snake" to guide it...The simple act of the cone getting caught up in the jet blast will be enough to pull the loose fitting chute from the cylindrical housing...The chute pushrod won't foul the chute as it won't come in contact with it!!!...The model rocket tube should be large enough so that there is very little friction to get the chute to exit the plane...

I got the elevator pivots modified with steel screws as some have suggested and got the elevators with pivots glued in to the fuselage...I did place 1/4 ounce counterbalance weights in each of the leading edges of the elevators at the root to statically balance them...The elevators are still slightly tail heavy but I feel better that they are somewhat statically balanced...I'm running a higher performance fan/motor setup than stock so I feel better about statically balancing the elevators for the higher speeds this plane is expected to reach over stock...

Kevin
Last edited by Kevin Greene; Jun 21, 2012 at 10:53 PM.
Old Jun 30, 2012, 05:01 AM
Bond, Hotglue Bond
Joined Apr 2006
4,071 Posts
I'm finally starting the build of the Mig that was under my bed for a long time.

My plan was to use the valuable experience of this thread, but I found that most juicy posts have been stripped of the significant pictures and information.

Anyway, I connected the ESC and retracts to test the electronics, but no sound, no movement, no nothing.

Is there anything else to connect? I don't see any UBEC lead, but still, the ESC should at least complain.

My plane fuse came already glued, so I can't investigate inside without major surgery.

Any ideas?

Thank you.
Tartago is offline Find More Posts by Tartago
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Tartago; Jun 30, 2012 at 05:44 AM.
Old Jun 30, 2012, 06:54 AM
Joined Jun 2012
21 Posts
check the facing of the servo connections to the recievers the metal bars on the inside should be facing towards channel 12. also check the bind to the receiver if it is the stock one.
Wader237 is offline Find More Posts by Wader237
Old Jun 30, 2012, 11:25 PM
Bond, Hotglue Bond
Joined Apr 2006
4,071 Posts
I just needed to connect 2 batteries.

This is my first jet with this feature.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 01, 2012, 04:35 AM
Bond, Hotglue Bond
Joined Apr 2006
4,071 Posts
Now I'm looking on a way to activate the landing gear. I just see the black control board with three leads attached and one wire coming out. Where is it supposed to go?

When connected to the batteries they are not operating.

I jus want to open them to change them with the Lander/HK ones.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 01, 2012, 09:02 AM
United States, NM, Clovis
Joined Oct 2011
2,962 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tartago View Post
Now I'm looking on a way to activate the landing gear. I just see the black control board with three leads attached and one wire coming out. Where is it supposed to go?

When connected to the batteries they are not operating.

I jus want to open them to change them with the Lander/HK ones.
If all three of the gear is pluged into the control board then connect it to your rx on the gear channel or whatever channel you are using for gear.
DamonH is offline Find More Posts by DamonH
Old Jul 01, 2012, 11:24 AM
Bond, Hotglue Bond
Joined Apr 2006
4,071 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DamonH View Post
If all three of the gear is pluged into the control board then connect it to your rx on the gear channel or whatever channel you are using for gear.
Done that, didn't work. maybe the PCB is dead.

I think I'll open the gear doors and pull out the LG.

Thanks Damon,
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 01, 2012, 04:47 PM
Munich
Joined Dec 2008
1,097 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tartago View Post
Done that, didn't work. maybe the PCB is dead.
Welcome to the Lanxiang show. It happened more than once.

Cheers,
Henrik
hklagges is offline Find More Posts by hklagges
Old Jul 05, 2012, 06:58 PM
USA, AZ, Buckeye
Joined Feb 2010
530 Posts
FYI...I have a set of new retracts and circuit board for sale....

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1685805
mray is offline Find More Posts by mray
Old Jul 05, 2012, 08:43 PM
Bond, Hotglue Bond
Joined Apr 2006
4,071 Posts
Mee too.

Last night I removed the LG and she is almost ready to drop in the lander retracts.
RCG Plus Member