HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 04, 2012, 01:36 PM
United States, MD, Clinton
Joined Oct 2010
1,002 Posts
Got mine up in the air, took quite a bit of up elevator but flew pretty nice. Had 2 3300 3s tied together and seemed like it lost power rather quickly and had to make a fast landing and broke 2 of the gears off and a tv nozzle.... Fun plane though.
houstonderk is offline Find More Posts by houstonderk
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 04, 2012, 06:12 PM
Canada, AB, Calgary
Joined Oct 2010
321 Posts
Interesting 45 degree rotation design, Brand. Did you manage to make steering for the front? My problem with these servoless retracts is that in the classical pushrod steering scheme it doesn't work - too large is the distance shaft travels. I had to use some flimsy ropes to the steering servo instead. Or the other option would be steering servo behind the retract (like they do on tail draggers f.ex.) but I don't want to think what happens if retract misses servo during opening.
Sockrat is online now Find More Posts by Sockrat
Old Apr 04, 2012, 06:19 PM
United States, TN, Jackson
Joined Mar 2007
4,019 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandonmoon View Post
Yes Mine do, When I asked Time Wan to design those for me, they are to rotate 45Degrees to allow for a slightly larger wheel to fit, but you will also have to cant the retract electric unit slightly inboard about 3 to 5 degrees, this will also give toe in when they are extended.
THANKS Brandon!!!...I have this same type of gear/struts in my A-10 and the Lander all metal gear/struts in my CMP T-45...I really like both of them and are more than pleased with Mr Wan's work...I did some checking and the MiG-29 struts or gear + struts are now available from Park RC Models......

The struts w/wheels alone are only $39.95!!!...Includes the 45 degree hardware for the retracts if you already have servoless retracts...Here's the link: http://parkrcmodels.com/product_info...oducts_id=1092

Gear with the struts are are only $99.95!!!...Here's the link: http://parkrcmodels.com/product_info...oducts_id=1085

I also like the direct pushrod used on this gear for the nose gear steering...Pull/pull cables are a PITA and seem to need constant attention......

I've done business with Park RC Models on several occasions and have had nothing but great service!!!...Priority shipping is only $5......

Kevin
Kevin Greene is offline Find More Posts by Kevin Greene
Old Apr 04, 2012, 06:20 PM
Canada, AB, Calgary
Joined Oct 2010
321 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by houstonderk View Post
Got mine up in the air, took quite a bit of up elevator but flew pretty nice. Had 2 3300 3s tied together and seemed like it lost power rather quickly and had to make a fast landing and broke 2 of the gears off and a tv nozzle.... Fun plane though.
That's exactly how all my maiden on all big edf's ended up. Even if I land prematurely the speed is too high (we have a beautiful barbed fence 10m before landing stripe starts so nobody risks slow-low approach) so it bounces back and stripes gear off. From now on I belly land on grass every new plane until I feel the stall speed.
Old Apr 04, 2012, 06:32 PM
Joined Mar 2007
4,019 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sockrat View Post
My problem with these servoless retracts is that in the classical pushrod steering scheme it doesn't work - too large is the distance shaft travels. I had to use some flimsy ropes to the steering servo instead.
The direct pushrod works EXTREMELY well as Tim Wan has done his homework to make the pushrod steering right...Both of my jets with Lander gear work great!!!...You can buy the parts separately to convert your existing gear if needed from Park RC Models...He also sells the parts to make your struts rotating for both the nose and main retract units...

Here's the link for the repair parts... http://parkrcmodels.com/index.php?cPath=98_102

I would like to try this wheel tire combo for the mains on this jet..It's only about 3mm larger than the ones that come with the Lander gear...

Kevin
Old Apr 05, 2012, 01:08 PM
Canada, AB, Calgary
Joined Oct 2010
321 Posts
Thanks, Kevin.
I don't think "only 100$" for retracts is a bargain (especially with plastic turnions, no trailing links on main and 3mm shaft) but good to know there's something better than stock retracts.
Old Apr 05, 2012, 01:31 PM
3DHOG
USA, CA, Aromas
Joined Sep 2010
4,848 Posts
sockrat
here are lander retracts and all replacement parts, these come in 3mm and 4mm strut size and have metal trunions for 13 bucks plus shipping, same ones Kevin is using. then just add your struts of choice
http://www.pw-rc.com/product_info.ph...oducts_id/2631

check out all the other sizes and options, he has a lot of retract options in their
jcdfrd is offline Find More Posts by jcdfrd
Old Apr 05, 2012, 03:11 PM
Joined Mar 2007
4,019 Posts
Quote:
Thanks, Kevin.
I don't think "only 100$" for retracts is a bargain (especially with plastic turnions, no trailing links on main and 3mm shaft) but good to know there's something better than stock retracts.
Wow---How spoiled have some of us become?!?!?!!!...Inexpensive servoless gear have only been available in recent times...Think about it---Servoless gear with MACHINED struts for less than $100!!!...Unheard of in the past!!!

Metal trunions are easy to swap out from the plastic versions or buy the ones from PW-RC---I have the PW-RC metal trunion gear in several models...If you need a larger shaft, just get out a 4mm bit and drill away as I have done in the past---And since when does a MiG 29 have trailing link main struts???......I'm sure that if you wanted trailing link there are some out there that will work..I have a link to some that look like TamJets gear on my computer at home...

Kevin
Old Apr 05, 2012, 03:57 PM
3DHOG
USA, CA, Aromas
Joined Sep 2010
4,848 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Greene View Post
Wow---How spoiled have some of us become?!?!?!!!...Inexpensive servoless gear have only been available in recent times...Think about it---Servoless gear with MACHINED struts for less than $100!!!...Unheard of in the past!!!

Metal trunions are easy to swap out from the plastic versions or buy the ones from PW-RC---I have the PW-RC metal trunion gear in several models...If you need a larger shaft, just get out a 4mm bit and drill away as I have done in the past---And since when does a MiG 29 have trailing link main struts???......I'm sure that if you wanted trailing link there are some out there that will work..I have a link to some that look like TamJets gear on my computer at home...

Kevin
+1 Kevin
even if you skimp and piece together the cheapest stuff you will still be around 100bucks
Old Apr 06, 2012, 09:46 AM
Joined Mar 2007
4,019 Posts
I pulled the trigger on one of these last night!!!...WOO HOO!!!..I'm installing all of my own equipment so I'll have some of the stock stuff for sale...The high alpha flight capabilities and the flat spins are what sold me...Hopefully, with as much power I'm going to install I can fly down the runway in high alpha, nail the throttle and the climb out to inverted and roll over upright to complete an Immelman..

Kevin
Old Apr 06, 2012, 12:38 PM
Canada, AB, Calgary
Joined Oct 2010
321 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Greene View Post
Kevin
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dproduct=19430
12$
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dproduct=12883
3x 7$
3x motor shafts 1$ each
makes it around $36
That's what I used on my su-47 (plus used a 4.5kg retract on front as 2.5kg will certainly fail).
I don't mind paying well to manufacturer or designer so they can increase quality or make new stuff. Pity is 90% goes to the retailer...
Old Apr 06, 2012, 06:23 PM
Joined Mar 2007
4,019 Posts
Quote:
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dproduct=19430
12$
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dproduct=12883
3x 7$
3x motor shafts 1$ each
makes it around $36
That's what I used on my su-47 (plus used a 4.5kg retract on front as 2.5kg will certainly fail).
I don't mind paying well to manufacturer or designer so they can increase quality or make new stuff. Pity is 90% goes to the retailer...
Looks good at first but we're comparing apples to oranges...Those wheels/tires are waaaaaay too small for this MiG...For example, the mains are around 55mm and those are 35mm...Also, the mounting plates on the Lander gear are hardened aluminum, not flexible plastic...Not to mention that the Lander mains rotate 45 degrees to get the larger wheels all of the way inside of the wheel wells and the doors still close...Another thing is that your chosen nose strut is too short and not a scale trailing link...The main struts are too short as well...I'm going to fly mine from grass so I need the largest size wheel/tire as possible as well as being durable...The Lander gear requires no head scratching and is the correct size/length...I'm not sure of the point you are trying to make--I know that you could possibly save a couple of $$$ by coming up with your own solution(s) but the examples you give won't work with this plane...

WIth my fan combo looks like I'll make around 3400 grams of static thrust...Stock thrust is about 2500 grams...The ready to fly plane is about 2000 grams...I'm looking at almost a 1.5:1 thrust ratio!!!.........Can't hardly wait!!!......I'm also going with a couple of 100 amp ESC's as they weigh about the same as an 80 amp ESC...Gives me some buffer room...I'm also installing quality 9g all metal gear servos on the entire plane as I've "been there, done that" with plastic gear servos...

Kevin
Last edited by Kevin Greene; Apr 06, 2012 at 06:44 PM.
Old Apr 07, 2012, 09:12 AM
USA, PA, Pittsburgh
Joined Jul 2001
1,464 Posts
Landing gear

It is a real shame that LX took time and effort to add all the junk to this plane instead on focusing on scale look and proper rotating landing gear. When I received the plane from BH I was gonna cry how ugly front section and canopy shape is. What a waste of money on my part.
So I decided to take time and try make it better looking with stuff I have on hand, pink foam, glue, sanding blocks, various canopies from other planes.
First of all I made the mains rotate in scale manner and started from there. It took me two weeks to get the mechanism work without binding by adjusting everything. I used derlin blocks for the mains base, aluminum angle, 4-40 threaded rod and servoless retracts (32gr). Struts will be ones from HobbyPartz just need slightly softer springs and hole reamed to 4mm as I have 4mm shaft inside derlin block.
Set came in a bit heavy so decision was made to have controls set as tailerons and ailerons only to save some weight due to added weight by all the mods.
So I got this far.
BTW tailerons will be made scale to with angled shaft. I am still not satisfied with canopy shape but will let it go as I dont have vacuum forming equipment anymore.
Still need bigger main wheels and to drop the height of the plane as it sits too high right now. Right now there are 65x19mm mains on but I am having trouble finding at least 75mmx20mm max wheels thin enough to fit in retract bay. All I could find online and in my LHS is 24mm wide wheels.
Two CS 10 blades and L2855 2300kv motors on 2x 4s 2650mah are planed to be used plus two HobbyWing 60A ESCs. I know there are better, more efficient setups but I am after sound and scale factor.
darmar is offline Find More Posts by darmar
Last edited by darmar; Apr 07, 2012 at 09:51 AM.
Old Apr 07, 2012, 11:59 AM
Canada, AB, Calgary
Joined Oct 2010
321 Posts
That's how it looks on Su but the same is applicable to MIG. Yes, most struts are too short for front even on SU. The solution I found was to use 4.5kg servoless retract (I doubt 2.5kg used on Lander will last long even being all metal - the grooved motor shaft inside will bend). It has a 5mm hole. Main rotor shaft from Esky Belt CP is hollow - 5mm out, 3mm inner. It's very light and strong. Connection to the main strut is done with a 3mm shaft (from HK 2810 Turnigy edf motor). The same shafts are used on rear retracts (which might be abit weak but I'll see).
I'm a big fan of trailing legs as when the wheel hits an obstacle it simply evades it by going back and allowing for smaller wheels. (It adds trailing leg length to the wheel diameter effectively)
On the front I'm planning to replace one small wheel with two big mounted on the sides.
I glued in a couple of wooden bricks . Retract sits very tight in between, but can easily be removed. Also I prefer to use mounting plate in upper holes - it reduces the lever and increases side robustness dramatically. In the next implementation I'll make wooden blocks longer and try to fix the motor part as well.
Old Apr 07, 2012, 12:13 PM
3DHOG
USA, CA, Aromas
Joined Sep 2010
4,848 Posts
my buddy Gary has his new mig up and flying now, this is the forth flight on the new bird. he is running the HK DPS 68mm alloy fans on two 4s 3300 35c packs in parallel also using Tim wans electric retract and struts made for the mig (thanks Brandon) he improved the nose retract by making an alloy support block for the down position. the retracts seem to be very good, Gary also did Brandons hatch mod and this makes working on this bird a breeze and also allows better battery and electronics placement. the red white and blue scheme is soooo much easier to see in the air. this is a fantastic Jet when setup properly. the cg is at 830mm auw 5.6lbs

April 6, 2012 1:41 PM (3 min 58 sec)