SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Sep 21, 2011, 07:41 PM
Fly & Have Fun..Enjoy the Ride
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Mar 2009
5,656 Posts
Yea I heard about it last week ....and there is a guy here that already has one, went and saw it today...it's a HET clone except it's very heavy!!!!...tooooo Much RESIN
brandonmoon is offline Find More Posts by brandonmoon
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Relocated back to Arizona
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 21, 2011, 07:48 PM
A posse ad esse
United States, FL, Tampa
Joined Feb 2011
921 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcdfrd View Post
HK is doing it again
have you guys seen this one
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dproduct=15526
Just the basic airframe with no retracts and it weighs almost 6 lbs? By the time this gets all dressed up, won't it be on the heavy side? Usually, the stated weight is less than actual, so it may be more than advertised.
daddyrabbit1954 is offline Find More Posts by daddyrabbit1954
Old Sep 21, 2011, 07:56 PM
USA, MD, Frederick
Joined Jan 2010
4,008 Posts
Sure makes a purty static model!
fredmdbud is offline Find More Posts by fredmdbud
Old Sep 21, 2011, 09:17 PM
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Mar 2009
5,656 Posts
Well guys I just did some static testing Of the New Counter rotating 68mm EDF units from RCLanders in the new LX Mig-29 and here is what I got

using Turnigy Nano-Tech 5000 Mah batteries (2X3s) 45-90c

RCLander New 68mm Counter rotating EDF fan set (Motors are 2550 KV) and weight 276 grams each

using CC Ice lite 100A esc's

@ WOT got 6.7 to 6.9 Lbs thrust sustained @ 119 Amps peak draw (so about 1.5 to 1.6 KG each) ( ??? not quite getting the rated spec on the rated KG out) this is probably due to the long ducting of the LX Mig, even though I do have a set of cheater vents right in front of the fans and the louvers as well....but may still not be enough for them to breath properly? in any case...that is what I got so far.

Very quiet and well balanced fans, Here are the rated specs from the RCLander web site on both fan sizes:

EDF - 68mm

Power - 4S (4000kv) & 6S version (2600kv)

Thrust - up to 1.7kg (63A) 4S/ per one

up to 2.1kg (56A) 6S / per one

Weight - 238g (4S) with motor /per one

276g (6S) with motor /per one
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by brandonmoon; Sep 21, 2011 at 10:28 PM.
Old Sep 21, 2011, 11:56 PM
He builds stuff. :)
Canada, AB, Grande Prairie
Joined Sep 2007
1,752 Posts
Thanks for the information Brandon. I'm afraid at that cell count, the thrust is VERY underwhelming. It would be difficult to get the aircraft light enough for hovering which IMO is the only real benefit the counter rotating fans would provide. I suppose it could be done but I was expecting MUCH better when you consider the amp range, heavy fans, big batteries, etc etc. Unless you are aiming directly for a 3D bird, and even then the weight is going to be a problem, I don't know if there is nearly enough benefit to justify that much loss in power.

So what's your thoughts on it?
Pepperpete is online now Find More Posts by Pepperpete
Old Sep 22, 2011, 12:13 AM
Australia
Joined Jun 2009
1,058 Posts
im not to interested in hovering my mig,

i just need to upgrade the motors so i can get more performance and will try and fit a 6s 5000 pack in to the plane
spyda00 is offline Find More Posts by spyda00
Old Sep 22, 2011, 05:10 AM
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Mar 2009
5,656 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepperpete View Post
Thanks for the information Brandon. I'm afraid at that cell count, the thrust is VERY underwhelming. It would be difficult to get the aircraft light enough for hovering which IMO is the only real benefit the counter rotating fans would provide. I suppose it could be done but I was expecting MUCH better when you consider the amp range, heavy fans, big batteries, etc etc. Unless you are aiming directly for a 3D bird, and even then the weight is going to be a problem, I don't know if there is nearly enough benefit to justify that much loss in power.

So what's your thoughts on it?
I agree. But those are just the initial first test and run ups. I know the fans are capable of a little more than that for thrust. right now they are putting out about the same as the HET 2w-25's with the Wemo fans, but with a weight penalty.

Question for you? how big are the cheater holes you did on your Mig? Demensions? and can you post some more pictures of those?...I think yours may be better than mine, Simplier and more effective. I may need to enlarge mine some more and simplify them in order to feed the fans (all of the different setups I've been testing) the air properly. I'm not getting bad or unusable readings by any means....I just feel it could be better....for instance the Hets and the RCL's are almost Identical in KV and recomended specs (Minus thier weights) and I should be seeing about 2 more LBS of thrust on each one of those setups. the RCL fans are heavier the the ARC 28-58-1 setup, but the RCL's draw considerably less amps....so there are pro's and con's to each of them. But right now I think from what I'm seeing.... the HET 2w25/Wemo is the better option, but still have a few things I haven't tried yet?
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by brandonmoon; Sep 22, 2011 at 04:11 PM.
Old Sep 22, 2011, 10:00 AM
St.Catharines, Ontario
Joined Jan 2009
10,377 Posts
anyone see the twin 70mm, HK Mig 29 yet? looks pretty sweet for 190 bucks.
LuvEvolution7 is offline Find More Posts by LuvEvolution7
Old Sep 22, 2011, 10:11 AM
USA, MD, Frederick
Joined Jan 2010
4,008 Posts
See above, #3962
fredmdbud is offline Find More Posts by fredmdbud
Old Sep 22, 2011, 10:14 AM
St.Catharines, Ontario
Joined Jan 2009
10,377 Posts
HAH!!!! sure pays to read. hahahahahaha.
LuvEvolution7 is offline Find More Posts by LuvEvolution7
Old Sep 22, 2011, 09:36 PM
Joined Sep 2007
1,752 Posts
I'm still up in the oil patch so no pictures but I can tell you that the cheaters I added right on the bottom of the nacell are directly in front of the fans and a good size. They are square in formation and I think a few inches across? Don't quote me on that. I think if you scroll back I did post a few pictures. I get tons of thrust with them and they also help me rotate on takeoff. The amount of "suck" factor when I go WOT in static tests is amazing if you stick your hand near the bigger cheaters on the bottom (covered with mesh of course). Much more than the inside nacelle cheaters I have as they are twice the size of those. The fact that the inlets AND the cheaters are pulling in such a drastic amount of air shows how hungry these little fans are.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandonmoon View Post
I agree. But those are just the initial first test and run ups. I know the fans are capable of a little more than that for thrust. right now they are putting out about the same as the HET 2w-25's with the Wemo fans, but with a weight penalty.

Question for you? how big are the cheater holes you did on your Mig? Demensions? and can you post some more pictures of those?...I think yours may be better than mine, Simplier and more effective. I may need to enlarge mine some more and simplify them in order to feed the fans (all of the different setups I've been testing) the air properly. I'm not getting bad or unusable readings by any means....I just feel it could be better....for instance the Hets and the RCL's are almost Identical in KV and recomended specs (Minus thier weights) and I should be seeing about 2 more LBS of thrust on each one of those setups. the RCL fans are heavier the the ARC 28-58-1 setup, but the RCL's draw considerably less amps....so there are pro's and con's to each of them. But right now I think from what I'm seeing.... the HET 2w25/Wemo is the better option, but still have a few things I haven't tried yet?
Old Sep 22, 2011, 09:38 PM
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Mar 2009
5,656 Posts
Thanks Glen ...I found them.....studdying them right now. What are the 2 diagnal slots just behind your canopy? are those vent hole you added? those look pretty slick and wickedly cool...even if they're not scale....I like them
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by brandonmoon; Sep 22, 2011 at 09:44 PM.
Old Sep 22, 2011, 09:49 PM
Joined Sep 2007
1,752 Posts
Quote:
Thanks Glen ...I found them.....studdying them right now. What are the 2 diagnal slots just behind your canopy? are those vent hole you added? those look pretty slick and wickedly cool...even if they're not scale....I like them
That's exactly what they are. I know they are not scale but I really wanted a closer zone for hot battery air to be able to escape. There is also another larger slot just behind the nose cone (on the underside) so that the air can come in from that direction and leave through the two other slots. The one on the nose you can hardly even notice unless you are looking for it.

So far everyones reaction has been "they look cool and obviously work" which is why I did it.
Old Sep 22, 2011, 09:54 PM
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Mar 2009
5,656 Posts
the one on the nose must be on the bottom of it I'm assuming? I really like that idea....Hmmm? may have to do those? the fan cheaters look like they are about 2 inches by 2 inches.

I'm going to move the RCL fans over to the first mig and add those cheaters and see if it produces better results than the ones I did on the German mig. If it does then I'm going to modify the german migs cheater holes
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Relocated back to Arizona
Old Sep 22, 2011, 09:56 PM
Joined Sep 2007
1,752 Posts
Quote:
the one on the nose must be on the bottom of it I'm assuming? I really like that idea....Hmmm? may have to do those? the fan cheaters look like they are about 2 inches by 2 inches.

I'm going to move the RCL fans over to the first mig and add those cheaters and see if it produces better results than the ones I did on the German mig. If it does then I;m going to modify the german migs cheater holes
Sounds like a smart plan. Don't forget I've got both the cheaters on the bottom and on the inside of the nacelle.