SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jul 02, 2010, 07:20 PM
Flying Hazard
Spain
Joined May 2006
2,758 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammo View Post
I originally commented about spoilers aiding high alpha moves because I saw it used in Dave from RCpowers video (posted above). Enough talking and diagrams, the proof is there in the video, it works.
Well, I think it works for non thrust vectored airplanes like the F-18 in the video (Dave Powers rule ), because you can't push the nose up with the thrust vectoring so you need extra aid from the other surfaces (ailerons and tailerons raised) to get to the high alpha, but we're talking about thrust vector airplanes, you do this work with the nozzles! The rest of the surfaces should drop, even the tailerons (Saw it on many SU-37 videos, landing or high alpha).

PS my word for RcPowers is "High Alpha Freak" (Same as many of us, I guess). Regard it as something to be proud of!

Jandro.
SU-4ever is offline Find More Posts by SU-4ever
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 02, 2010, 09:04 PM
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined Mar 2010
803 Posts
All Dave is doing is using spoilers to move the center of lift to the front section of the wing along with adding a large pitch up motion with the larger elevators. Induced and form drag is helping him get the nose up and using a large amount of power is allowing him to fly that way. He is not creating lift with those "spoilerons". The lift is able to move forward with aid of slats or "fronterons" as he calls it.

You can do this same thing with an extreme aft CG. No "fronterons" or spoilers needed. The spoilers in the video act as a weight on the tail because that is what it is. It is the induced and form drag that is pulling the aircraft backwards and downwards. But there is no lift being created back there. That is what I am trying to get at. Playing with that much drag is risky and unpredictable with a $400 model. I would rather go with the flaps route.
jdlilfan is offline Find More Posts by jdlilfan
Last edited by jdlilfan; Jul 02, 2010 at 09:14 PM.
Old Jul 03, 2010, 05:28 AM
Flying Hazard
Spain
Joined May 2006
2,758 Posts
Agree.
Old Jul 03, 2010, 06:25 AM
Flies to poles
Far far North +2 zulu
Joined Jun 2008
46 Posts
Well i disagree, i see flaps draggier and more dangerous due stall and control issues, but thats going to be cool to find out and learn with this thing.
kreot is offline Find More Posts by kreot
Old Jul 03, 2010, 09:07 AM
Flying Hazard
Spain
Joined May 2006
2,758 Posts
Hehehehe, it will be fun everyone testing their planes to see who gets the greater alphas...

This is a tecnical competition!
Old Jul 04, 2010, 01:20 AM
USA, MD, Frederick
Joined Jan 2010
4,005 Posts
OK, I think I see where kreot is coming from, his point is that the slats and the flaps are connected to the same servos - you can't lower one without the other. This is fine when your aim is to reduce takeoff and landing distances and stall speed, but not for high alpha. If I want to do high alpha, I'd either put the flaps on their own servos, leave them fixed, or tie them to the ailerons (making them flaperons).
fredmdbud is offline Find More Posts by fredmdbud
Old Jul 04, 2010, 01:26 AM
Munich
Joined Dec 2008
1,134 Posts
Delivery date is slipping

Hello,

ready2fly has just slipped the delivery date to "July/August" (originally, it was "in June"). It seems this will be a never-ending story just like the Su-47 was. Better go flying with some other plane for the summer.

And I already paid for it, grmbl.

Cheers,
Henrik
hklagges is offline Find More Posts by hklagges
Old Jul 04, 2010, 05:34 AM
Flying Hazard
Spain
Joined May 2006
2,758 Posts
ourggg!

Wanted to see them flying soon...

Will have to wait...
Old Jul 07, 2010, 11:18 AM
Sunny SoCal!
Joined May 2008
2,676 Posts
Still working on mine. Been not feeling well the past few days. Will get her in the air this weekend. Thanks for your patience!

Pete
banana hobby is offline Find More Posts by banana hobby
Old Jul 07, 2010, 11:25 AM
Munich
Joined Dec 2008
1,134 Posts
Hello Pete,

Quote:
Originally Posted by banana hobby View Post
Still working on mine.
Is it more time consuming than usual? I was hoping that it would be a quick build.

Quote:
Been not feeling well the past few days.
Gute Besserung :-).

Quote:
Will get her in the air this weekend. Thanks for your patience!
We are - or at least I am very, very, supervery curious how it flies. Slats+Flaps are an innovation that could make these crash-the-plastic-landing-gear landings much easier.

Thanks and cheers,
Henrik
hklagges is offline Find More Posts by hklagges
Old Jul 07, 2010, 11:41 AM
Sunny SoCal!
Joined May 2008
2,676 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hklagges View Post
Hello Pete,

Is it more time consuming than usual? I was hoping that it would be a quick build.

Gute Besserung :-).

We are - or at least I am very, very, supervery curious how it flies. Slats+Flaps are an innovation that could make these crash-the-plastic-landing-gear landings much easier.

Thanks and cheers,
Henrik
Henrik,

Thanks for wishing me to get well soon! I am pretty sure with the Mig flying on mixing, and the flaps and slats, she should be able to slow down real good on a landing approach. You have to see the landing gears in this thing. They are way different and much stronger. The servos are a proprietary drive shaft design so it is super strong and dependable.

Pete
banana hobby is offline Find More Posts by banana hobby
Old Jul 07, 2010, 01:08 PM
Flying Hazard
Spain
Joined May 2006
2,758 Posts
Nice to hear...
Old Jul 07, 2010, 02:08 PM
Lori, hey, you're home early
United States, NJ, Trenton
Joined Jan 2004
9,098 Posts
Quote:
Henrik,

Thanks for wishing me to get well soon! I am pretty sure with the Mig flying on mixing, and the flaps and slats, she should be able to slow down real good on a landing approach. You have to see the landing gears in this thing. They are way different and much stronger. The servos are a proprietary drive shaft design so it is super strong and dependable.

Pete
Sounds interesting Pete. Can you post some detail photos when you're feeling better. It sounds like the manufacturers are starting to listen to the critical comments and building better ARF's.

Mike
CarreraGTSCS is online now Find More Posts by CarreraGTSCS
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Split elevator set up JR 9303
Old Jul 07, 2010, 04:28 PM
Suspended Account
Κύπρος, Λευκωσία, Πέρα Χωριό
Joined Jan 2010
9,530 Posts
Quote:
Henrik,

Pete
can you mix flaps and slats with landing gear to save a channel ? ? ?cause with that plane or the F-22 (I hope you get both) I will need to buy a new radio too.. the DX6i is now inadequate
pavcon is offline Find More Posts by pavcon
Old Jul 09, 2010, 04:44 AM
Pointy end at the front.
Joined Aug 2009
663 Posts
geeez when is this thing coming out!
benjo is offline Find More Posts by benjo