HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 21, 2010, 11:35 AM
Houston. .we have a problem.
United Kingdom, England
Joined Aug 2008
1,007 Posts
Batteries

Hey guys, I know this question was asked a few pages back, but seems like there was only 1 reply.

What batteries are you using in this bird? I'm looking to go the 2 x 3S route, and wondered what options I'd got without completely screwing up the cg. I dont want to carve the bird up, but want decent flight time. Just need to order some decent batteries today.

I understand the rtf version comes with 2 x 3S 3600mah, anyone know what weight they are each?

Cheers!
FOX ONE! is offline Find More Posts by FOX ONE!
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 21, 2010, 12:59 PM
maghull , merseyside
Joined Aug 2010
254 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by abagnalejr123 View Post
Hey guys, I know this question was asked a few pages back, but seems like there was only 1 reply.

What batteries are you using in this bird? I'm looking to go the 2 x 3S route, and wondered what options I'd got without completely screwing up the cg. I dont want to carve the bird up, but want decent flight time. Just need to order some decent batteries today.

I understand the rtf version comes with 2 x 3S 3600mah, anyone know what weight they are each?

Cheers!
Henrik is the guy to help. Start on page 49 of the forum and read on.
BRIARCROFT is offline Find More Posts by BRIARCROFT
Old Oct 21, 2010, 04:06 PM
Munich
Joined Dec 2008
1,174 Posts
Hallo Dany,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danyboy View Post
I noted the different construction for the brake-chute...
I thought in the beginning that the mechanism on the Su-47 is flimsy, but that's holding by form, not by friction and I came to trust it.
But this appears to be even more flimsy, holding only by friction of two tiny plastic pins within two plastic tubes...?
Correct, the parachute cover is frightening, which is the reason why I did not build-in the parachute at all. You may also notice that the wire from the parachute is connected to the servo horn. So the opening force of the parachute after deployment will be going over the servo horn into the fuselage. Guess what that is going to do to your servo gears...

Or did you find a better way of connecting the wire, and of securing the parachute cover?

Cheers,
Henrik
hklagges is offline Find More Posts by hklagges
Old Oct 21, 2010, 04:17 PM
Munich
Joined Dec 2008
1,174 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zach_dad View Post
Why aren't you ordering from me at www.edfhobbies.com
Hm. I checked out the description of the Su-47 as given on your site. As I happen to have built it from scratch and to have flown it, I can guarantee you that the description you give on your site is wrong. Examples:
  • "Ready to Fly in Just Minutes!" -> No, hours. And in the version sold (not arf), MANY hours
  • "Excellent stability of nosing up and down" -> No, stability around that axis is the biggest problem of the aircraft
  • Can Take Off From Ground or Hand Launched -> Ahem. Maybe somebody in this world can hand launch the beast. But it is not easy.
  • "Super easy and super stable electric powered scale R/C park flyer for beginner or middle-level users" -> Completely wrong. Not easy, not stable, not a park flyer.
  • "Super stable for beginner, Super low speed for safety," -> Completely wrong, 2nd try.
  • "Slow Speed Flying Capable" -> Again not true, the Su-47 is fast if not too fast.

Original text at: http://edfhobbies.com/index.php?rout...&product_id=51

Cheers,
Henrik
Old Oct 21, 2010, 04:23 PM
Munich
Joined Dec 2008
1,174 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRIARCROFT View Post
PS. Henrik, I know Stuart has another red airframe if you want to replace your battered one with something a bit more colourful.
Thank you! I'd be very tempted if I hadn't ordered a MiG-29 from Ready2Fly already in May. They were kind enough to switch it from grey to red to compensate for the long wait. And it seems the wait is soon over, I have a tracking number, hehe!

The only problem is that the summer is over, we have 6 centigrade and not much light left here on the Northern hemisphere . What an experience: You order in May for delivery in June and get the plane after October 20th... with no summer left. Grmbl. I am glad I bought the grey MiG from Stuart in the summer, that was worth it.

Cheers,
Henrik
Old Oct 22, 2010, 01:53 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Aug 2010
586 Posts
Quote:
Why aren't you ordering from me at www.edfhobbies.com paypal and c.c. cart will be turned on this week end after I list the air frames only, everything is in stock. If all goes well I will be able to become a rcgroups vendor sponsor very soon and play by the rules. Happy flying.
could you reponse my emails I sent to your site?
sent days ago.... and still waiting for your reply

thx.

tomcee is offline Find More Posts by tomcee
Old Oct 22, 2010, 03:08 AM
Europe, Switzerland
Joined Oct 2010
97 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hklagges View Post
Hm. I checked out the description of the Su-47 as given on your site. As I happen to have built it from scratch and to have flown it, I can guarantee you that the description you give on your site is wrong. Examples:
  • "Ready to Fly in Just Minutes!" -> No, hours. And in the version sold (not arf), MANY hours
  • "Excellent stability of nosing up and down" -> No, stability around that axis is the biggest problem of the aircraft
  • Can Take Off From Ground or Hand Launched -> Ahem. Maybe somebody in this world can hand launch the beast. But it is not easy.
  • "Super easy and super stable electric powered scale R/C park flyer for beginner or middle-level users" -> Completely wrong. Not easy, not stable, not a park flyer.
  • "Super stable for beginner, Super low speed for safety," -> Completely wrong, 2nd try.
  • "Slow Speed Flying Capable" -> Again not true, the Su-47 is fast if not too fast.
And I thought he was talking about a different model...

abagnalejr123,

I do not know the weight of the batteries, as I did not receive any along the plane.
But what's definite - and what surprised me - is that you *have* to go 2x3S. There simply is not enough space for one 6S-pack.
I was looking forward to use the same packs as I do in my Su-47, but there's just not enough space available, additionally to the problem you might face in terms of CG: One of the two is just aft of the pilot, extending toward the rear, and the other is forward of the pilot, extending further into the nose...
The batteries I got are 3S3600mAh, rated for 35C, shape of 138x42x23mm and listed a weight of 304g... Need to confirm that though...

Cheers,

Daniel
Danyboy is offline Find More Posts by Danyboy
Old Oct 22, 2010, 04:15 AM
Munich
Joined Dec 2008
1,174 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danyboy View Post
But what's definite - and what surprised me - is that you *have* to go 2x3S. There simply is not enough space for one 6S-pack.
That's already solved, Dany :-). Look here:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=961

Cheers,
Henrik
Old Oct 22, 2010, 05:13 AM
Europe, Switzerland
Joined Oct 2010
97 Posts
Whoopsie-Daisy...

Looks like a piece of information I must've overlooked when I read the thread...

Hmm...
Interesting...!

Gotta put that order for a second batch of packs on hold and check the plane out after I finished the build...
That would be marvelous...!
I'd rather have a third battery for both planes instead of two planes with two set of batteries each...

Cheers,
Dany
Danyboy is offline Find More Posts by Danyboy
Old Oct 22, 2010, 07:08 AM
Suspended Account
TEXAS
Joined Sep 2005
1,006 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomcee View Post
could you reponse my emails I sent to your site?
sent days ago.... and still waiting for your reply

thx.

Sorry the site has been under construction, I will retrieve the emails and answer you.
zach_dad is offline Find More Posts by zach_dad
Old Oct 22, 2010, 07:10 AM
Airshow Joe
N.W. Detroit Suburbs
Joined Feb 2009
315 Posts
Quote:
Sorry the site has been under construction, I will retrieve the emails and answer you.
Can you get me a nose cone for this bird!?
rccrazee is offline Find More Posts by rccrazee
Old Oct 22, 2010, 07:12 AM
United Kingdom, England
Joined Aug 2008
1,007 Posts
I'M NEVER BUYING RTF/RECEIVER READY AGAIN!

It's quite fitting that the avatar above doesn't have hair, coz I'm in the process of ripping mine out!

If this was a real jet, I'd have banged out already!

My gear is screwed. One of the screw motors is not connected tightly to its mount, so it just moves back and forth without moving the leg at all. I'd have to rip the whole retract out completely to tighten the motor fixing. There is a crack in one of the pivot points on the other side's gear, as soon as it is moved by the screw force, the crack just opens up so there's no effort being transmitted to the shaft that extends/retracts the leg. Can't fix that without ripping out that gear completely, either.

My rudders dont work, neither does my nosewheel steering. I know they're "Y'd" together somewhere back in the fuselage, so presumably i'm another victim of the phantom Y lead gremlin.

Both of my ESC's have been programmed by people on different continents, speaking different languages, communicating by carrier pigeon of different species. The ESC's arm OK, but when throttle is applied, one of them just spins it's associated motor a couple of revolutions to indicate it's shown up for work, then goes off to the toilet to read the paper for the rest of the day.

So now I need to sell my house and change career to go and live somewhere where there's a MUCH longer runway that will allow me to take off on one engine. It's ruined my life!!

Shipping back to China would cost an arm and a leg. And I need those. I suppose I could always dig my collection of feet up from underneath the patio.

I had to tell my Mig the story about the inflatable student who stood in front of the inflatable headmaster after he'd taken a pin to the inflatable school one day:

"not only have you let me down. . . . .you've let the school down. . . . .you've let your friends down. . . . .you've let your family down. . . . .

. . . .but above all, you've let yourself down."
Old Oct 22, 2010, 07:21 AM
United Kingdom, England
Joined Aug 2008
1,007 Posts
Esc program instructions

Anyone have the programming instructions for the stock ESC's please?
Old Oct 22, 2010, 07:21 AM
Suspended Account
TEXAS
Joined Sep 2005
1,006 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hklagges View Post

Original text at: http://edfhobbies.com/index.php?rout...&product_id=51

Cheers,
Henrik
Thanks for pointing that out... edited... Please look over the rest and tell me if I posted any other wrong info. This is the reason I have not turned on the cart yet. Hopefully I can get the rest of the stuff listed and do a quick ck on wrong info like this. I took description from the ARF version instead of kit version my mistake. I know one thing even if the kit took a week to build I'd rather know that I put it together than someone else.

Thankyou very much any other help greatly appreciated.
zach_dad is offline Find More Posts by zach_dad
Old Oct 22, 2010, 08:55 AM
United Kingdom, England, Redcar
Joined Jan 2006
3,291 Posts
The esc not spinning the motor could just be a bad connection, it happened on my su-27, quick solder job and done.
scousethief is offline Find More Posts by scousethief