HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 07, 2010, 12:32 PM
Annapolis, MD
Joined Jul 2007
210 Posts
Build Log
Mike Midkif Kingfisher enlarged to 36"

I first bought a copy of this free flight plan in 83' and have always wanted to make it R/C. I started by enlarging the plan from 27" to 36" and built the basic frame. Now I'm waiting for Charlie at Manzano Laser to send the parts. Should be a quick build.
170flyer is offline Find More Posts by 170flyer
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 07, 2010, 05:29 PM
It flew once before...
Northwood , New Hampshire
Joined Jul 2004
3,865 Posts
This should be an awesome flyer . I've always liked the Kingfisher and never realized Mike had designed one of these . This should make an excellent float plane .
Eagerly awaiting your progress after you get the parts from Charlie

-John
jofrost is offline Find More Posts by jofrost
Old Apr 07, 2010, 05:39 PM
Suspended Account
Everett Wa.
Joined Jun 2001
5,925 Posts
Nice!
Did you re-notch the ribs and formers to standard wood sizes? If so what wood sizes are you using for the stringers and spars? Also are you allowing Charlie to sell parts from your cut files?

All the best,
Konrad
Konrad is offline Find More Posts by Konrad
Old Apr 07, 2010, 06:31 PM
What????
SoCal "The High Desert"
Joined Nov 2003
126 Posts
I have that plan, although my thought was to use either a GWS IPS or maybe a small 10 gram brushless motor from Hobby King, 3.4 gram Bluebird servos with a small ESC and Rx.
I'll be watching your build with interest!
uavdb is offline Find More Posts by uavdb
Old Apr 07, 2010, 08:51 PM
Annapolis, MD
Joined Jul 2007
210 Posts
Well, I traced the parts for the 27" plan and then scaled up the parts 1.33%. My initial thought was to build it at 27" but that seemed to small. I scaled up the parts after I traced them and did not want to re-notch everything. For example the float stringers are .083 and 3/32 is .093 so the stringers are just short of 3/32. I had planed to strip my own stringers. I did make the rips 1/8". I am flying the Fly2Build Bonanza with a Himax 2212-1180. I designed the motor mount around this motor. I think I can keep the weight within limits.
Old Apr 07, 2010, 08:58 PM
Annapolis, MD
Joined Jul 2007
210 Posts
I had planned to use coverite coverlite on the airframe and maybe on the float. Is Coverlite
waterproof?? I am also thinking on sheeting the float with lite 1/32 balsa and fiberglassing it. I am leaning towards sheeting it. I think I can keep it very lite.
Old Apr 07, 2010, 09:52 PM
Annapolis, MD
Joined Jul 2007
210 Posts
Correction. I made the rib notches 1/8" not the ribs. the ribs are 1/16".
Old Apr 07, 2010, 10:24 PM
Übung macht den Meister..
United States, OR, Fairview
Joined Jul 2006
2,957 Posts
I also like the Kingfisher. One of those humble but loyal designs. Another floatplane in the same vein, but perhaps a bit more refined looking, is the Edo OSE. I have plans for that one, but Kingfisher plans would be another good acquisition. I'm watching!

James
Deuce is offline Find More Posts by Deuce
Old Apr 24, 2010, 01:26 PM
Annapolis, MD
Joined Jul 2007
210 Posts
Konrad, I'll be happy to let Charlie sell you the parts, but a word of caution....I am designing my first scale aircraft in Autocad ( a Tipsy Trainer) and was ready to send the cut files to charlie. Then I came across this old Kingfisher plan and decided to trace the parts and get them in with the Tip. before I went on vacation. Charlie did a great job cutting the parts but...some things don't line up 100%. I'll tell you in the build what I change as I build. We'll wing it. that's what this hobby is all about, right? I wish they had lined up but I did not have time to print out the files and measure everything.
Old Apr 24, 2010, 01:39 PM
Annapolis, MD
Joined Jul 2007
210 Posts
I thought I'd start building the float. I started by cutting a 5/64 hole in formers 9-12 to except a Sullivan Gold-n-cable for the water rudder. I laid down the keel using 3/32 by 3/16 balsa. I had to make very, very small cuts in formers 6, 9 and 12 to make everything fit. Once the stringers were added, I put the float aside. I'll be sheeting it with contest grade 1/32 balsa but I am not sure how to attach to the fuse so I'll hold off on the sheeting until the fuse is complete.
Old Apr 24, 2010, 01:43 PM
Annapolis, MD
Joined Jul 2007
210 Posts
A few more pictures.
Old Apr 24, 2010, 01:53 PM
Annapolis, MD
Joined Jul 2007
210 Posts
....It should look something like this when I am done. I ordered some coverlite and will cover a spare piece an elevator that I have hanging around. I plan on painting with acrylics. I was planning on fiberglassing the float but the coverlite says its waterproof so.....we'll see. The coverlite would be lighter.
Old Apr 24, 2010, 05:09 PM
Suspended Account
Everett Wa.
Joined Jun 2001
5,925 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 170flyer View Post
Konrad, I'll be happy to let Charlie sell you the parts, but a word of caution....I am designing my first scale aircraft in Autocad ( a Tipsy Trainer) and was ready to send the cut files to charlie. Then I came across this old Kingfisher plan and decided to trace the parts and get them in with the Tip. before I went on vacation. Charlie did a great job cutting the parts but...some things don't line up 100%. I'll tell you in the build what I change as I build. We'll wing it. that's what this hobby is all about, right? I wish they had lined up but I did not have time to print out the files and measure everything.
"Some things don't line up 100%", not a problem. I'm not use to parts that fit or are even symmetrical. I learned to model in the days of die crunching!

Wow, Looking at the size of that rear float strut and the tip float "N" struts this should make a very practical grass lander, for those that are land locked. Yes, I see the wheel option, but what is the fun in that?

All the best,
Konrad
Konrad is offline Find More Posts by Konrad
Last edited by Konrad; Apr 24, 2010 at 05:15 PM.
Old Apr 26, 2010, 08:25 PM
Annapolis, MD
Joined Jul 2007
210 Posts
Now that the float is built I moved on to the tail feathers. (if anyone is interested in the Kingfisher parts from Charlie, Please PM me first. All the parts are mixed in with the Tipsy parts that I would have to put the Kingfisher parts in there own file and send that file to Charlie, thanks)
Old Apr 26, 2010, 08:31 PM
Annapolis, MD
Joined Jul 2007
210 Posts
Started from the rear of the aircraft and added all the formers and stringers. Most fit real well but some needed some attention. The biggest one was number 11. I traced it right but for some reason it is the only one that is really to big. A little sanding though and it fit just fine.