SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Apr 07, 2010, 12:36 PM
Always Ready!
Chicago, IL
Joined Dec 2006
5,181 Posts
Discussion
Foamie 60" Grumman Goose

I already have too many irons in the fire, but I am getting started on plans for a foamie 1:10 scale Grumman Goose... that's almost 60" wingspan.

Lately, I've been building a lot of planes from a combination of 1/2" and 1/4" sheet foam... rigid insulation from the local hardware store. Simple slab-sided fuselages make for easy construction, and the wings will be typical spar and ribs wrapped with 1/4" FFF.

For extra strength, I cover the foam with newspaper and Polycrylic. This makes for a very lightweight yet stiff airframe... half the weight of a balsa/ply model so I'm not spending a fortune on motors and electronics. The WBPU also seals the foam so I can use cheap rattle-can paint without melting it.

Power will be two HobbyKing DT750 motors swinging GWS 10x6 3-blade props, or 11x7 2-blade props... cheap SuperSimple 30A ESCs.

Wings will be removable, 1-piece... for transport in my hatchback. Could easily be modified to a 2-piece wing if need be.

It may be a couple of weeks before I finish the plans and start cutting parts... but here it is so far...
warhead_71 is offline Find More Posts by warhead_71
Last edited by warhead_71; Apr 15, 2010 at 03:21 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 07, 2010, 03:41 PM
Port Angeles ,Wa.
Joined May 2007
34 Posts
This could be very interesting,looking forward to seeing more.

..............Jack
spooler41 is offline Find More Posts by spooler41
Old Apr 07, 2010, 04:24 PM
The Hun in the Sun
Canada, BC, Comox
Joined Nov 2003
7,474 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by spooler41 View Post
This could be very interesting,looking forward to seeing more.

..............Jack
Definitely!
vonJaerschky is offline Find More Posts by vonJaerschky
Old Apr 08, 2010, 12:33 PM
Always Ready!
Chicago, IL
Joined Dec 2006
5,181 Posts
http://www.seawings.co.uk/

Lots of great photos, walk-arounds, and paint scheme images here... categorized by manufacturer. Definitely worth a look.

I have completely redrawn my plans after I found a much better set of 3-views and sections... I should have the formers and ribs worked out today.

I plan to fly this plane almost exclusively from water, so I don't plan on making working retractable wheels... but maybe I'll provide for the option to manually install wheels for occasional grass operations. Besides, that's a lot of extra weight and complexity for this type of landing gear -- not worth it to me. However, I am giving serious thought to making working retractable wingtip floats... an upgrade performed on many late-model Goose's. It would be very easy to do with a standard set of 90-degree retracts... just need plenty of reinforcement (or make them break-away) so they don't rip out if I catch one.

http://www.seawings.co.uk/WJDec-Goosepage.htm
Last edited by warhead_71; Apr 08, 2010 at 12:43 PM.
Old Apr 08, 2010, 05:04 PM
Always Ready!
Chicago, IL
Joined Dec 2006
5,181 Posts
A little more progress. I'll keep all the updated plans in post #1 for easy reference. In the cutaway drawings, the pink parts are from 1/2" rigid foam and the blue is 1/4" FFF. Using a wood spar in each wing, joined with a fiberglass arrow shaft.

I'm still working on the front view... am considering piecing it together with Google Sketchup to test-fit the parts.
Old Apr 12, 2010, 05:46 PM
Always Ready!
Chicago, IL
Joined Dec 2006
5,181 Posts
And a couple more images added to post#1... formers and such. You can see that I am contemplating retractable wingtip floats... should be pretty easy to do. The wingtip floats are quite a bit more outboard than the fixed float positions... hope it doesn't affect water handling.
Old Apr 14, 2010, 04:33 AM
Sussex, UK
Crawley, West Sussex, UK
Joined Jun 2004
7,376 Posts
Quote:
For extra strength, I cover the foam with newspaper and Polycrylic
Is Polycrylic the same as WBPU varnish? I tried that and kept getting lots of wrinkles - how do you do it?
RobinBennett is offline Find More Posts by RobinBennett
Old Apr 14, 2010, 09:44 AM
Always Ready!
Chicago, IL
Joined Dec 2006
5,181 Posts
As far as I know, yes, Polycrylic and WBPU are the same. I also use Mod-Podge which is available at craft stores... decoupage glue that I believe is a mix of white glue and acrylic.... easy to apply when watered down slightly.

I use a soft paintbrush and brush it out as I lay it on to keep it smooth. Also, newspaper expands when it gets wet and shrinks as it dries... makes sure it is good and soaked before applying it, then brush/squeegee out the excess... as it dries it should tighten up.
Old Apr 14, 2010, 10:41 AM
Sussex, UK
Crawley, West Sussex, UK
Joined Jun 2004
7,376 Posts
Ah, I was putting dry paper on the glue. I suspect it expanded, wrinkled and then set.
RobinBennett is offline Find More Posts by RobinBennett
Old Apr 14, 2010, 10:59 AM
Always Ready!
Chicago, IL
Joined Dec 2006
5,181 Posts
For WBPU or Mod-Podge I get the paper completely soaked with glue before applying it. Messy, but it works well. When you first apply the paper you'll start worrying about the added weight.... it does feel heavy when it's still wet. But as all the moisture evaporates, it drops weight... might take a day for Mod-Podge or a few days for Polycrylic to fully dry out.

A different method of applying paper is to use 3M Super77 spray adhesive... simply spray the back of your paper then let it get tacky before putting it on the foam. If the adhesive is too wet then it will melt the foam... so you have to be careful. Works great for large flat surfaces like wings. Some even print graphics on the paper first, then glue it in place. Then you still have to seal the paper, which you can do in light coats with a spray lacquer.
Last edited by warhead_71; Apr 14, 2010 at 11:04 AM.
Old Apr 14, 2010, 10:49 PM
Fly2Build.com
Redding,California
Joined Dec 2003
2,606 Posts
Hi Warhead,

See the Fly2Build.com 74" Grumman Goose thread for the answers to the incidence and angles question.

You might think about doing this in the Super Goose theme too- we have had many mentions of that along the way of developing our kit. It goes well with the retractable tip floats too of course.

Best wishes,

Mike
scratchnhover is offline Find More Posts by scratchnhover
Old Apr 15, 2010, 05:12 AM
Scotland
Joined Oct 2004
2,493 Posts
Nice project. I will be watching with interest. I made a foam Grumman Widgeon years ago.

I used to cover foam with brown paper using watered down PVA to stick it down. It works great and makes wings very strong. Adds a lot of weight though. I dont bother any more.

Good luck,

Barry
rcminiman is offline Find More Posts by rcminiman
Old Apr 15, 2010, 05:18 AM
Scotland
Joined Oct 2004
2,493 Posts
Heres my Widgeon. All blue foam. Hot wire cut and shaped, with the insides scooped out with a home brewed hot wire tool.
rcminiman is offline Find More Posts by rcminiman
Old Apr 15, 2010, 10:06 AM
Always Ready!
Chicago, IL
Joined Dec 2006
5,181 Posts
Nice Widgeon. Do you have a build thread?

Brown paper is pretty heavy... that's why I use newspaper or even gift-tissue. Using any kind of glue, you have to be sure to squeegee out the excess to reduce weight. Mostly I like to cover with paper to withstand hangar rash... my planes get more damage just loading and unloading into the car than they do flying. The extra skin goes a long way to preventing little dings and creases. Plus, after covering with paper, you can use cheap rattle-can paint for color.
Last edited by warhead_71; Apr 15, 2010 at 10:18 AM.
Old Apr 15, 2010, 10:32 AM
Always Ready!
Chicago, IL
Joined Dec 2006
5,181 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scratchnhover View Post
Hi Warhead,

See the Fly2Build.com 74" Grumman Goose thread for the answers to the incidence and angles question....
Thanks for the link... saved me from reading 85 pages...

So the large 74" Goose is:
Wing +2deg (without any washout?)
Motors +3deg
H-stab +1deg
... relative to the datum line.

Mine is:
Wing +3 with washout to 0deg at wingtips... averages +2deg.
Motors +2deg
H-stab 0deg

I think that's close enough... I'll build it as designed but leave a over-sized gap for the H-stab so I can shim it +/-2deg before gluing it in place.