SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jun 02, 2003, 06:42 PM
United Kingdom, England, Nthumb
Joined Sep 2002
127 Posts
Alfa P-51 or FS Spitfire??

Dilemma time...!?

Has anyone out there tried both the Alfa P-51 and the FS Spitfire?

If so, which is the better of the two...?
I almost bought the P-51, and then saw the threads on the Spitfire, and now I'm stuck .. and finances won't allow for both!!

Any feedback greatly appreciated!
jimflint80 is offline Find More Posts by jimflint80
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 02, 2003, 06:44 PM
Irvine, CA
Joined Apr 2003
1,348 Posts
SPITFIRE ALL THE WAY!

Everyone seems to have a P-51 out there (though the Alpha unit is one of the best looking ones).

hk.
hyperknight is offline Find More Posts by hyperknight
Old Jun 02, 2003, 06:49 PM
Joined Sep 2002
127 Posts
That's where the problem lies; I've wanted to do a good looking Spit and Mustang for ages, but never found any kits that look 'just right'...
Then, typically, two come along together!!!

Jim
Old Jun 02, 2003, 07:27 PM
Irvine, CA
Joined Apr 2003
1,348 Posts
jim,

The alpha p51 has been out for a while now. I too was tempted to get it but because sooo many people already have a p51, I wanted something else.

As soon as I can free up some of my electronics, I plan on getting the FSK spitfire. It has to be one of the best looking spitfire kits out there I've seen.

hk
Old Jun 03, 2003, 01:49 PM
Professional idiot
Hampshire, UK
Joined Jun 2002
3,119 Posts
Seen both in the flesh; have only seen flight in video form.

Have to say it's probably down to personal choice, you not going to go far wrong with either.

Personally it would be Spitfire all the way, nothing beats that profile beating down the strip and pulling up into a slow lazy barrel roll (I'm off dreaming now)

--
Dave
wildpalms is offline Find More Posts by wildpalms
Old Jun 03, 2003, 02:30 PM
Joined Sep 2002
127 Posts
Thanks for that Dave - I know what you mean .. but I'm just as hooked on Mustangs!

Would you say that one would be more resiliant than the other - I've heard that the Mustang has a plastic coating on the underside .. is this true?

In addition, does anyone out there know if they can be re-painted - It would be nice to do a 'Glamorous Glen III' Mustang as opposed to the green topside they have done..

Jim
Old Jun 03, 2003, 02:45 PM
Irvine, CA
Joined Apr 2003
1,348 Posts
Jim,

One really nice thing about the Alpha unit is that it comes almost 95% complete. You literally just add the servos, battery, motor, and receiver. You could be flying that bad boy within an hour after receiving the kit. With the FSK spitty, it would take you much more time to build.

Although, I've never owned the Alpha P-51 (but plan to get one eventually), I have read in reviews about it's hardened shell coating so for durability the Alpha unit would probably win over the FSK Spitty.

I'd still go for the FSK Spitty first though.

hk