Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jun 02, 2003, 05:23 PM
Fly it like you stole it..
Florence, Al
Joined Oct 2000
29,298 Posts
EDF Newbie Question.. But not the typcial question of WHICH kit. :D

Ok guys..

I'm wanting to get an EDF.. I have the GWS A-10 and I am going to be getting, most likely a Wattage Mig 15.. However, I don't feel these will help to answer my question..

I am considering 3 kits right now.. the RBC A-4, KA L-39 and the EJF F-18..

There are several things I'd like to get out of this kit..

1.) Decent flight times.. Preferably 5-10 minutes (is this possible? on these jets?)

I'm wondering what kit will be a relatively simple build for an EDF newbie... the build does not need to be simple (IE easy a newbie to building period) but rather the intracacies of setting the thrust tubes, etc have me a little concerned.. I've built many kits so the basics are no problem, I've never built an EDF though..

I really like all 3 of these planes so I'm not real partial to any of them, I'd just like to try an bigger EDF after the Mig and the A-10.. Any help would be appreciated..
Tram is offline Find More Posts by Tram
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 02, 2003, 07:34 PM
Houston,TX
Joined Mar 2000
1,217 Posts
I happen to have built all three of these. In terms of the simplest to build that will depend on what construction methods you are most comfortable with.

K&A L-39 - Fiberglass fuse and foam wing. Balsa tailfeather that must be sanded to shape. Hardest part for me was getting all the ducting in - it seems kind of like surgery to me. I would recommend a brushless motor to avoid motor maintenance. Overall has the fewest parts to put together. Instructions text only.

EJF F-18 - Balsa airframe and foam wing. Balsa construction is quite simple because of the sport scale simplifications. Basically a couple of boxes, with a few extras to make it look very much like a F-18. Unless the kit has been enhanced - I would consider doing the taileron pivots the hardest part - no parts are included and the instructions aren't that clear. Instructions include hand drawn sketches - downloadable from EJF.

RBC A-4 - All Balsa with built-up wing. Most complicated with the most parts. Nose section involves "sanding to shape" Although it has many parts the CNC cutting is good and they fit together well. Instructions are mostly text with about 4 pictures.

Some building experience would be helpful with any of the kits - none of them have the detailed instructions that might be in a beginner kit - for example the SIG LT-25 instructions.

How much power & speed are you looking for? 5 - 10 minutes is a very tall order on Nicd or Nimh. About 4 minutes would be a more reasonable time for the way most people want to fly jets - using nicd or nimh. However it appears that Li-poly might be about at the point where they would work if you don't require massive power/weight ratios. From what I can estimate from the li-poly threads in the battery section - 100-130 watts/lb is possible with current E-Tec, Kokam HD and Thunder Power cells - but there hasn't been much testing yet on EDF. For the power hungry that want 150+ watts/lb there isn't much data on li-poly at this rate, you would really be on the bleeding edge. The advantage to breaking into somewhat untested territory with the Li-poly is that the flight times should be easily over 10 minutes.
ScottS is offline Find More Posts by ScottS
Old Jun 02, 2003, 08:05 PM
Purple power
shadow hills,ca
Joined Apr 2000
6,592 Posts
Scott explained the differences very well.

building the a4 is labor intensive.

they all fly well.

they all weight close to the same, running the same power set up.

my pick would be the L39, i like glass............
gregg f is offline Find More Posts by gregg f
Old Jun 02, 2003, 10:04 PM
Suspended Account
Joined May 2000
8,535 Posts
Tram,

I'd agree with Gregg. L-39. I have one... and if you can build, it's not a problem... the thing I can tell you that puts it above balsa planes... it's TOUGH.

I have shot mine off the bungee way tail heavy, and put it in hard.. had landings where it catches something and tumbles all over... and all I've had to do for fixes is line the inside with some glass cloth and epoxy... still goes fine... Had it been balsa I'd have gone through 5 or 6 planes so far.

And on a different note, it's an awesome flyer.

Paul
Arbo is offline Find More Posts by Arbo
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Jun 02, 2003, 10:31 PM
Acme Powered!
Orange,CA
Joined Jul 2000
4,040 Posts
L39

Tram, I go with the guys and recommend the L39. I have never built one but I have seen one fly and it flew very well. And dont forget that K&A is now selling an ARF version of the L39. With the wing presheeted and the fuselage painted white. http://kamodels.com/ Look under jets at the ARF its real nicely put together and it would save you allot of time.
Joe
Joe Elston is offline Find More Posts by Joe Elston
Old Jun 03, 2003, 12:54 AM
Fly it like you stole it..
Florence, Al
Joined Oct 2000
29,298 Posts
Thanks for the advice guys..

This thread has made me smile. I've been considering the L39 over all these kits.. Looks like that is where I'll go when I decide to buy..

However, I think Joe, I will get the kit.. Sheeting wings can't be that hard.. I know there's more to it than that, but still.. the price is not worth the ARF to me when I am capable of building it..
Tram is offline Find More Posts by Tram