HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 15, 2012, 07:40 AM
Foam Snow
South Africa, WC, Cape Town
Joined Aug 2011
1,334 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by _ELLIOT_ View Post
sorry but I am bewildered, in every page there are one or more crashes reports.
there is something wrong in this people's approach to fpv flight.
Don't count my crash - I was'nt FPVing I also didnt post my 40 + successful flights before the crash!
heinduplessis is offline Find More Posts by heinduplessis
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 15, 2012, 08:23 AM
If it's to be, it's up to me.
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jan 2007
3,128 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daemon View Post
Well, a lot of people pull it off somehow. I learned without RTL, or OSD.
A dozen different aircraft, hundreds of hours without either.
I can only think of one crash where RTL would have been useful. I can think
of a lot of times when RTL would have put my aircraft in a tree.

ian
How would RTL put your aircraft in a tree?

I've found my RTL useful on a few occasions for some reason I have a video problem. There are so many reasons why this could happen so I won't write them all down, but normally if I lose video for a good few seconds, I hit the switch, and the aircraft turns for home. Usually within a few seconds, video comes back and I just resume the flight, knowing a little more about the limitations of my video system. Bank that experience away for later. RTL puts me nowhere near trees, it puts me back on course and stops me piling it into the ground with an incorrect control input. It's only happened a couple of times to me, but I have been thankful for it. I'd be genuinely interested to hear how hitting that button could actually crash your aircraft. They are supposed to just turn the aircraft around, and loiter above your launch point well above any trees.

Sub.
subsonic is offline Find More Posts by subsonic
Old Jun 15, 2012, 08:34 AM
Still hackin'
Port Elizabeth, South Africa
Joined Nov 2005
428 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by subsonic View Post

I've found my RTL useful on a few occasions for some reason I have a video problem. There are so many reasons why this could happen so I won't write them all down, but normally if I lose video for a good few seconds, I hit the switch, and the aircraft turns for home. Usually within a few seconds, video comes back and I just resume the flight, knowing a little more about the limitations of my video system. Bank that experience away for later. RTL puts me nowhere near trees, it puts me back on course and stops me piling it into the ground with an incorrect control input. It's only happened a couple of times to me, but I have been thankful for it. I'd be genuinely interested to hear how hitting that button could actually crash your aircraft. They are supposed to just turn the aircraft around, and loiter above your launch point well above any trees.

Sub.
Mebbe if you are scud running
Thermicdude is offline Find More Posts by Thermicdude
Old Jun 15, 2012, 09:16 AM
Joined Jan 2012
249 Posts
I have been working on Skywalker build for last few weeks,and reading this form and others for the past several months. Getting as many good ideas as i can remember. I got my wings glued together, and have added carbon strips for reinforcing. I glued strips same place on each wing put same amount of tape on each wing yet when i checked balance of wing the left side of wing is a lot heavier than right wing to the sum of a 11/4" fender washer. Has anyone else had problem of one side being so much heavier. Don't remember reading where anyone else has had this problem.
I would think i will need to balance it out with added weight to right side before maiden. Or by checking wing balance by its self i am off base? Don't quite understand why one wing is coming out so much heavier. Has anyone else had this problem?
Any input will be appreciated.
Mike
mikenc is offline Find More Posts by mikenc
Old Jun 15, 2012, 09:22 AM
An Aussie in Chicago
Joined Apr 2012
1,350 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by miknce View Post
I have been working on Skywalker build for last few weeks,and reading this form and others for the past several months. Getting as many good ideas as i can remember. I got my wings glued together, and have added carbon strips for reinforcing. I glued strips same place on each wing put same amount of tape on each wing yet when i checked balance of wing the left side of wing is a lot heavier than right wing to the sum of a 11/4" fender washer. Has anyone else had problem of one side being so much heavier. Don't remember reading where anyone else has had this problem.
I would think i will need to balance it out with added weight to right side before maiden. Or by checking wing balance by its self i am off base? Don't quite understand why one wing is coming out so much heavier. Has anyone else had this problem?
Mike
Personally I would wait until you balance the whole plane left to right. As the contents of the plane could even it out or make it worse.
hendrnk is online now Find More Posts by hendrnk
Old Jun 15, 2012, 09:24 AM
I tell her RC is cheap !
Quebec, Canada
Joined Sep 2006
13,324 Posts
Quote:
Oh seriously. I actually agree with you on the RTL thing, but must we continually overstate the threat that an out of control model airplane poses? I'm sure we'd all like to think that our expensive, tecnically advanced "UAV" would be capable of demolising a small building in a single glitch, but the fact is, your 2kg skywalker has about as much potential to cause damage as a well struck football. Can we get a little PERSPECTIVE around here please?
You mean it can't explode and anihilate a whole block ? I thought we were supposed to fly them only in the desert or in the Artic... I'll save a ton of gas from now on
carguy1994ca is offline Find More Posts by carguy1994ca
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 15, 2012, 09:26 AM
I tell her RC is cheap !
Quebec, Canada
Joined Sep 2006
13,324 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by miknce View Post
Mike
Always a good idea to balance you plane laterally. You could get away with some trim though.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 15, 2012, 11:40 AM
Joined Jan 2012
249 Posts
Good idea to just wait and balance whole thing.
Thanks carguy,hendrnk.
mikenc is offline Find More Posts by mikenc
Old Jun 15, 2012, 12:26 PM
Lakewood, Colorado
Joined Aug 2002
29,079 Posts
Quote:
I like to fly low, between/below/behind/around trees sometimes at significant distances.

Quote:
I'd be genuinely interested to hear how hitting that button could actually crash your aircraft. They are supposed to just turn the aircraft around, and loiter above your launch point well above any trees.
There's plenty of videos out there showing RTL crashing planes. They may get confused by strong
winds using GPS ground speed (doesn't realize the plane is flying backwards and turns around). Or there may be a
problem with the leveler (IR sensors confused, IMU miscalibrated, or having temperature/vibration problems). I've
seen wing levelers cause a tip stall and spin because they're trying to pull up elevator while you need
down elevator to recover from spin, and so forth. No, this sort of stuff won't happen all the time to
everyone, but there's plenty of proof that it happens regularly. RTL isn't a guarantee of success.
It also adds a level of complexity to the wiring that can cause problems, just like adding
any other component inline to one of your critical systems.

And it can be a crutch that makes people lazy.
Saw a video recently of someone who lost GPS lock 4-5km away, rendering their OSD/RTL
worthless, but they hadn't bothered to do any VFR navigation (trusting their OSD/RTL entirely)
so they were totally lost in the air with no idea how to get home.

ian
Daemon is offline Find More Posts by Daemon
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Daemon; Jun 15, 2012 at 12:52 PM.
Old Jun 15, 2012, 12:31 PM
Brasil, CE, Fortaleza
Joined Jun 2011
1,100 Posts
Thank you for understanding my point. Like I say that is my 2 cents ideia. Like subsonic say there are a lot of people doing FPV and never had flight before so RTL is a must have. Daemon I respect your point to but we have to think for all the group.
Wish you all a nice weekend.

Mauro
mauromassari is offline Find More Posts by mauromassari
Old Jun 15, 2012, 12:44 PM
Lakewood, Colorado
Joined Aug 2002
29,079 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mauromassari View Post
Thank you for understanding my point. Like I say that is my 2 cents ideia. Like subsonic say there are a lot of people doing FPV and never had flight before so RTL is a must have. Daemon I respect your point to but we have to think for all the group.
And I firmly believe that it's better for FPV newbies to start out as simple as possible, rather
than immediately try introduce the complexity of an OSD w/ RTL. Given the general confusion many
newbies have over basic setup, they're just as likely (if not more) to totally screw up the
installation/calibration of RTL, leading to a crash as they are anything else.
We've seen many people try to start out with all the bells and whistles, and fail utterly.

ian
Daemon is offline Find More Posts by Daemon
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 15, 2012, 12:55 PM
Brasil, CE, Fortaleza
Joined Jun 2011
1,100 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daemon View Post
And I firmly believe that it's better for FPV newbies to start out as simple as possible, rather
than immediately try introduce the complexity of an OSD w/ RTL. Given the general confusion many
newbies have over basic setup, they're just as likely (if not more) to totally screw up the
installation/calibration of RTL, leading to a crash as they are anything else.
We've seen many people try to start out with all the bells and whistles, and fail utterly.

ian
Your're right Ian, as I say, they must learn to fly first then go for FPV,unfortunally some don't.

Mauro
mauromassari is offline Find More Posts by mauromassari
Old Jun 15, 2012, 12:57 PM
I tell her RC is cheap !
Quebec, Canada
Joined Sep 2006
13,324 Posts
Quote:
I like to fly low, between/below/behind/around trees sometimes at significant distances. ]
Oh yea ! Me too Tree flying is cool Wonder what would happen if I had used a RTH feature in some of those situations. Would it be possible for the plane to gain altitude so it doesn't turn and hit a tree ? (seriously asking since I'll add a DOSD to the SW as soon as it is rebuilt):

Skywalker winter low flying (3 min 53 sec)
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by carguy1994ca; Jun 15, 2012 at 04:39 PM.
Old Jun 15, 2012, 03:05 PM
Team Flying Pirates
Joined Nov 2011
193 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mauromassari View Post
Your're right Ian, as I say, they must learn to fly first then go for FPV,unfortunally some don't.

Mauro
i said "there is something wrong": now i know what.
i agree with demon's thinking. mauro: the right way is not starting fly fpv with pilot assistance, the right way is start fly normally and after without "not essential" fpv device (osd, rth ecc).
only after some experience you can add some optionals device.
this is my point.. but the enormous numers of crashes reported here talks for me.
_ELLIOT_ is offline Find More Posts by _ELLIOT_
Old Jun 15, 2012, 03:16 PM
Team Flying Pirates
Joined Nov 2011
193 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by heinduplessis View Post
Don't count my crash - I was'nt FPVing I also didnt post my 40 + successful flights before the crash!
of course the bad luck can follows everyone sometime..
_ELLIOT_ is offline Find More Posts by _ELLIOT_