SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jun 14, 2012, 01:00 PM
Joined Jun 2010
7 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by surf1punk View Post
So I maidened my skywalker...crash.
Very nice plane and build log!

I have very similar components on my AXN Floater Jet and had the same problems at first. I would lose control. (within LOS range) but lifting my radio up higher would get me control back. I had my RC RX inside the fuse with the antennas is non-optimal position.

Now I moved my RC RX all the way back to the tail as far away as possible from the VideoTx and put the antennas in a V-setup, and have not had any control losses yet.
CptEagle is offline Find More Posts by CptEagle
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 14, 2012, 01:29 PM
Keep Calm, and Carry On...
United States, UT
Joined Feb 2012
421 Posts
Quote:
So I maidened my skywalker with the full fpv gear yesterday and it was all going good until the loss of radio signal which lead to a crash. If anyone of you have some ideas on what might have been the cause, that would be helpful in the rebuild process.
Instead of posting all my build details here, take a look at my site, it has all the info and pics of the build there. http://www.andygraber.com/what-i-do/...ld-journal-pt1

The plane had been previously flight tested without issue, but did not have the video equipment installed at the time of testing.

The flight started fine with a smooth launch and a nice climb and a slow turn. I was flying line-of-sight this whole flight to test everything before I actually put on the goggles. Right around 34 seconds in the video is when I lose radio signal. You'll notice I'm trying to turn back home just a few seconds before that, since my transmitter was beeping saying it was already out of range, even at 850 feet. I was not able to turn back home fast enough apparently and it lost signal and ended in a turn to a spiral dive.

I am using a FrSky 2.4 system which I know isn't ideal for long flight, but I know there should not be an issue within 1000 feet. I am using 1.280 for video with a lowpass filter. The area I was flying in was just open fields which should have had no radio interference. On the bright side you'll notice the video signal was nice and strong the whole time, not even a flicker, though I wasn't ever too far away.

The result of the crash was a snapped tail, cracked nose and side, a small chunk out of the wing from the prop I believe, but all seems like it could be repaired.

Thanks for any input and suggestions!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WvxD1RaHmWM
Andy,
I'm very sorry for your loss. I am pretty bummed out! As you know I've been following your build on your website, and made my SW similar to yours. I am getting ready to fly my maiden voyage tomorrow (LOS only) I'm scared to death something might happen to mine. I've got a lot of hours into my plane.
I hope you can get it back up in the air.
seearestacey is offline Find More Posts by seearestacey
Old Jun 14, 2012, 01:48 PM
RC FPVer
United States, FL
Joined Nov 2011
486 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by seearestacey View Post
Andy,
I'm very sorry for your loss. I am pretty bummed out! As you know I've been following your build on your website, and made my SW similar to yours. I am getting ready to fly my maiden voyage tomorrow (LOS only) I'm scared to death something might happen to mine. I've got a lot of hours into my plane.
I hope you can get it back up in the air.
Thanks for the condolences, lol, good luck with yours! Everything was good besides the radio cutting out, I'd suggest just to fly in close range for the first tests. I was trying to keep it close, but I guess not close enough! Funny story, my sister-in-law had the FatShark goggles on while I was flying, and she threw them off as I was crashing because it scared her
surf1punk is offline Find More Posts by surf1punk
Old Jun 14, 2012, 02:36 PM
Foam Snow
South Africa, WC, Cape Town
Joined Aug 2011
1,334 Posts
Quote:

The result of the crash was a snapped tail, cracked nose and side, a small chunk out of the wing from the prop I believe, but all seems like it could be repaired.

Thanks for any input and suggestions!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WvxD1RaHmWM
Sorry to hear - make sure you re-attach that tail so that it's PERFECTLY straight, otherwise you'll end up with an enduced rudder effect like with mine.

Almost done with my third Skywalker - do you guys solder the servo leads to the extentions in the tail, or just plug it in? I find the plugs make it difficult to close the tail properly.
heinduplessis is offline Find More Posts by heinduplessis
Old Jun 14, 2012, 03:50 PM
Brasil, CE, Fortaleza
Joined Jun 2011
1,100 Posts
I always think in safety 1st, so if you are going to go for FPV you MUST HAVE A RTL, you have to think that something can happend and no metter what you do or how good you are, it can cause demage to property and most important PEOPLE. So all of you that had a accident and did not injured anybody or anything you are LUCKY and think about that. I know if worth some money but you will have to spend a lot more if you hurt someone. Just my 2 cents ideia. BTW even with that I crashed mine, so I am lucky too, did not here anything.

Mauro
mauromassari is offline Find More Posts by mauromassari
Old Jun 14, 2012, 05:26 PM
United States, MI, South Lyon
Joined Nov 2007
210 Posts
"New" Black EPO 1900mm from BEVRC

I have a few questions before I begin to build.

1) I plan on adding a LRS to my setup in the future would it be appropriate to add a SMA extension from the fuselage to the tail before gluing?

2) Should I twist the servo extensions that run to the tail?

I plan on having for now my 1280ghz with LPF Vtx on one wingtip, my 900MHZ 3dr data radio on the other wing tip with my hitec optima rx in the nose of the airplane.

I then plan to add the chainlink dare lrs or dragon labs lrs later and would like to place it's antenna in the tail thus wondering if running an extension cable would work or if it would be best to wait and run it on the outside.

Anything I'm not thinking about that I should be running before gluing the halves??

Thanks,
Ken
k5beason is offline Find More Posts by k5beason
Old Jun 14, 2012, 05:34 PM
Lakewood, Colorado
Joined Aug 2002
28,895 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mauromassari View Post
I always think in safety 1st, so if you are going to go for FPV you MUST HAVE A RTL,
RTL itself has crashed many a plane for many reasons.
I'll take good situational awareness over RTL or even an OSD, any day.

ian
Daemon is online now Find More Posts by Daemon
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 14, 2012, 05:52 PM
I tell her RC is cheap !
Quebec, Canada
Joined Sep 2006
13,101 Posts
I am repairing my SW and will install the DOSD that has been waiting almost a year in its box. I plan to use the RTH feature for an added safety, but mostly want to play with it and try waypoint flying. RTH may have saved my crash yesterday, but also may have placed tha plane in a tree as they were very close when I lost video link. I'll be set on RTH when I have tried it.
carguy1994ca is offline Find More Posts by carguy1994ca
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 14, 2012, 06:04 PM
An Aussie in Chicago
Joined Apr 2012
1,332 Posts
RTL is a great safety feature, the system I use it will increase the throttle and climb to 50meters. Waypoint navigating is a lot of fun...and can do many interesting mission type flying. Just need to cross your fingers that the plane returns. Its like your first born leaving home. Hoping they will visit one day .
hendrnk is offline Find More Posts by hendrnk
Old Jun 14, 2012, 06:22 PM
San Marcos, CA
Joined Aug 2009
2,866 Posts
So who is up for building the Spacewalker?
flyandi is offline Find More Posts by flyandi
Old Jun 14, 2012, 11:24 PM
If it's to be, it's up to me.
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jan 2007
3,115 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mauromassari View Post
I always think in safety 1st, so if you are going to go for FPV you MUST HAVE A RTL, you have to think that something can happend and no metter what you do or how good you are, it can cause demage to property and most important PEOPLE. So all of you that had a accident and did not injured anybody or anything you are LUCKY and think about that. I know if worth some money but you will have to spend a lot more if you hurt someone. Just my 2 cents ideia. BTW even with that I crashed mine, so I am lucky too, did not here anything.

Mauro
Oh seriously. I actually agree with you on the RTL thing, but must we continually overstate the threat that an out of control model airplane poses? I'm sure we'd all like to think that our expensive, tecnically advanced "UAV" would be capable of demolising a small building in a single glitch, but the fact is, your 2kg skywalker has about as much potential to cause damage as a well struck football. Can we get a little PERSPECTIVE around here please?
subsonic is online now Find More Posts by subsonic
Old Jun 14, 2012, 11:30 PM
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jan 2007
3,115 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daemon View Post
RTL itself has crashed many a plane for many reasons.
I'll take good situational awareness over RTL or even an OSD, any day.

ian
I agree on your last statement about how valuable situational awareness is, but how do you actually get it without experience? We're talking about people who have never flown FPV before.

In my experience, my Eagle Tree RTH has brought my plane home on more than one occasion while I was learning the fundamentals of FPV. (and still learning). It was simple to set up, because it was only really one step after setting up the OSD, so there was no "extra" risk to the model by having it.

Sub.
Old Jun 14, 2012, 11:33 PM
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jan 2007
3,115 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyPilot View Post
I read about a lot of crashes after having a successful maiden without the FPV gear. Once you add your FPV gear you crash. This is an ongoing theme with a lot of FPV pilots.

I am wondering if you could install a logical switch so that you can power your FPV gear on and off from your RC transmitter. I know this will not help if your a longs away and can't see your plane. I believe it will work for testing purposes. In the event your plane starts to fly undesirably, you can just switch off the FPV gear. At least then you can land, fix the electrical / interference issue and go fly again without spending a bundle of money and time

Please let me know what you think

Thanks

GuyPilot
If you have an on board RF noise floor so great that it knocks out your RC link, turning the video off in the air would be useful, but if it was so bad that it could be detected within line of sight, you have a serious issue that could easily be detected during the ground test.

Sub.
Old Jun 15, 2012, 12:05 AM
Team Flying Pirates
Joined Nov 2011
193 Posts
sorry but I am bewildered, in every page there are one or more crashes reports.
there is something wrong in this people's approach to fpv flight.
_ELLIOT_ is offline Find More Posts by _ELLIOT_
Old Jun 15, 2012, 12:32 AM
Lakewood, Colorado
Joined Aug 2002
28,895 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by subsonic View Post
I agree on your last statement about how valuable situational awareness is, but how do you actually get it without experience? We're talking about people who have never flown FPV before..
Well, a lot of people pull it off somehow. I learned without RTL, or OSD.
A dozen different aircraft, hundreds of hours without either.
I can only think of one crash where RTL would have been useful. I can think
of a lot of times when RTL would have put my aircraft in a tree.

ian
Daemon is online now Find More Posts by Daemon
RCG Plus Member