SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jun 14, 2012, 09:10 AM
Brasil, CE, Fortaleza
Joined Jun 2011
1,100 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by surf1punk View Post
That number is supposed to be ground speed I believe, not sure why the icon was changing all over, I must have had a setting wrong in the Remzibi OSD. I don't believe it was servo failure because the radio was beeping that it was out of range before I lose control, though I only had a few seconds to react, which was not enough for me to turn around.
Ok, now I remember that I also lost control of mine SW and it was very close to me not even 200mt flying LOS and the problem was my LPF on my UHF radio tx that had cracked the solder, check your Low Pass Filters and your antennas to see if you have any of these soldering problens. For just 2mt from ground I was able to recover my SW, it was really close, then landed and start to check, after a couple days thinks and looking find out about that bad solder point. Hope that helps too.

Mauro
mauromassari is offline Find More Posts by mauromassari
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 14, 2012, 09:15 AM
fly it high as possible
Falls Church, VA
Joined Jun 2009
488 Posts
[QUOTE=surf1punk;21894458]
I am using a FrSky 2.4 system which I know isn't ideal for long flight

Sorry for your crash of so nice plane,
and you've already found out the issue.
Just throw out this 2.4 system (or buy booster for that) and get something more serious for long (or any) distance.
For example, I'm using DL last 3 years w/out problem, because it uses
different frequency and never interference w/other.
IL76MD is offline Find More Posts by IL76MD
Old Jun 14, 2012, 09:19 AM
Team Flying Pirates
Joined Nov 2011
193 Posts
in that flight was something wrong from the begin. little jerky of the roll axis mean that the skywalker goes faster than the normal.
what servo did you use?

if you have some problem with you rc link the first try for individuate the issue must be ... a range test... no?
_ELLIOT_ is offline Find More Posts by _ELLIOT_
Old Jun 14, 2012, 09:30 AM
RC FPVer
United States, FL
Joined Nov 2011
463 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by _ELLIOT_ View Post
in that flight was something wrong from the begin. little jerky of the roll axis mean that the skywalker goes faster than the normal.
what servo did you use?

if you have some problem with you rc link the first try for individuate the issue must be ... a range test... no?
Not sure I quite follow what you're asking, but it was a little jerky because that day was a bit windy 15mph or so. You can find the servo details on my build log on my website.

I did do a range test before the flight, and also I tested the plane with the same radio a few weeks previous without issue, and it flew even further then just LoS.

I'm not sure how long is normal for the FrSky between hearing the first double beep and losing control all together, but it was about 3 seconds for me, which seemed a bit short.
surf1punk is online now Find More Posts by surf1punk
Old Jun 14, 2012, 09:37 AM
I tell her RC is cheap !
Quebec, Canada
Joined Sep 2006
12,796 Posts
Crashed my SW yesterday evening. I was lucky someone saw it fall, and although I didn't found it the same day, I went back early this morning and the fellow had already found and retrieved it. GoPro is still missing but I'll give it a try tomorrow.

Wings are OK because of the reinforcement and laminate. Fuselage is repairable if all the parts from the wing support are there (guy put everything he found in the fuselage, pretty good )

Will be able to try the hot water method to reshape thing. Should fly again !

I'm so happy to have it back !
carguy1994ca is online now Find More Posts by carguy1994ca
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 14, 2012, 10:26 AM
United Kingdom, York
Joined Apr 2011
901 Posts
I think I'm going to try a good autopilot so my plane will return home if I lose radio signal before I try an FPV flight with a Skywalker, they get far away very quickly and if there is a problem with your radio range it should keep kicking in the return to home function.
RC Flying UK is offline Find More Posts by RC Flying UK
Site Sponsor
Old Jun 14, 2012, 10:28 AM
Team Flying Pirates
Joined Nov 2011
193 Posts
Quote:
Not sure I quite follow what you're asking, but it was a little jerky because that day was a bit windy 15mph or so. You can find the servo details on my build log on my website.

I did do a range test before the flight, and also I tested the plane with the same radio a few weeks previous without issue, and it flew even further then just LoS.

I'm not sure how long is normal for the FrSky between hearing the first double beep and losing control all together, but it was about 3 seconds for me, which seemed a bit short.
but sometimes something stop working well for any reason...
can you check now if the rx works properly ? (with another range test)
in my experience i can say that fly fpv without lrs in most of case is less safer, if i consider how many crash i had ..mmm .. 3 crashes in 3 year: 1 for autopilot test failure, 2 for lost 2,4rc link...
i fly usually 2 times a day with ez uhf (for statistic) and only ocasionally with 2,4ghz, so ... if you consider my number of flights and my number of crash.....

i think that a lot of video tx interferes with the rc link randomly, one time every now
_ELLIOT_ is offline Find More Posts by _ELLIOT_
Old Jun 14, 2012, 11:05 AM
An Aussie in Chicago
Joined Apr 2012
1,319 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RC Flying UK View Post
I think I'm going to try a good autopilot so my plane will return home if I lose radio signal before I try an FPV flight with a Skywalker, they get far away very quickly and if there is a problem with your radio range it should keep kicking in the return to home function.
I use FY-31AP works nice for me.
hendrnk is online now Find More Posts by hendrnk
Old Jun 14, 2012, 11:07 AM
United Kingdom, York
Joined Apr 2011
901 Posts
I have one of those too, just getting to grips with it before I try it on the Skywalker.

Has anyone tried this: http://www.foxtechfpv.com/400470mhz-...ios-p-273.html
Site Sponsor
Old Jun 14, 2012, 11:12 AM
RC FPVer
United States, FL
Joined Nov 2011
463 Posts
Quote:
I have one of those too, just getting to grips with it before I try it on the Skywalker.

Has anyone tried this: http://www.foxtechfpv.com/400470mhz-...ios-p-273.html
Most of the other brands seem to be out of stock atm so, I just ordered the JR style to fit into my TH9x, so I'll let ya know in a few weeks
surf1punk is online now Find More Posts by surf1punk
Old Jun 14, 2012, 11:15 AM
An Aussie in Chicago
Joined Apr 2012
1,319 Posts
I ordered the Dragon Link V2, should receive on Monday.
hendrnk is online now Find More Posts by hendrnk
Old Jun 14, 2012, 11:15 AM
United Kingdom, York
Joined Apr 2011
901 Posts
I have a Futaba 8FG Super, so I'm looking for an easy to use LRS for this radio as my next component I think.

I was also thinking of the Hornet setup for the OSD etc.
Site Sponsor
Old Jun 14, 2012, 11:23 AM
FPV 23Km
Portugal, Faro
Joined Dec 2011
259 Posts
Quote:
I have a Futaba 8FG Super, so I'm looking for an easy to use LRS for this radio as my next component I think.

I was also thinking of the Hornet setup for the OSD etc.
I also have that radio and i use as LRS the ChainLink and made 12km with no issue
And its easy to use, you only need to connect the system in the training port
lbarreiro is offline Find More Posts by lbarreiro
Old Jun 14, 2012, 11:48 AM
Joined Jan 2011
94 Posts
SkyWalker crash with FPV gear

I read about a lot of crashes after having a successful maiden without the FPV gear. Once you add your FPV gear you crash. This is an ongoing theme with a lot of FPV pilots.

I am wondering if you could install a logical switch so that you can power your FPV gear on and off from your RC transmitter. I know this will not help if your a longs away and can't see your plane. I believe it will work for testing purposes. In the event your plane starts to fly undesirably, you can just switch off the FPV gear. At least then you can land, fix the electrical / interference issue and go fly again without spending a bundle of money and time

Please let me know what you think

Thanks

GuyPilot

Quote:
So I maidened my skywalker with the full fpv gear yesterday and it was all going good until the loss of radio signal which lead to a crash. If anyone of you have some ideas on what might have been the cause, that would be helpful in the rebuild process.
Instead of posting all my build details here, take a look at my site, it has all the info and pics of the build there. http://www.andygraber.com/what-i-do/...ld-journal-pt1

The plane had been previously flight tested without issue, but did not have the video equipment installed at the time of testing.

The flight started fine with a smooth launch and a nice climb and a slow turn. I was flying line-of-sight this whole flight to test everything before I actually put on the goggles. Right around 34 seconds in the video is when I lose radio signal. You'll notice I'm trying to turn back home just a few seconds before that, since my transmitter was beeping saying it was already out of range, even at 850 feet. I was not able to turn back home fast enough apparently and it lost signal and ended in a turn to a spiral dive.

I am using a FrSky 2.4 system which I know isn't ideal for long flight, but I know there should not be an issue within 1000 feet. I am using 1.280 for video with a lowpass filter. The area I was flying in was just open fields which should have had no radio interference. On the bright side you'll notice the video signal was nice and strong the whole time, not even a flicker, though I wasn't ever too far away.

The result of the crash was a snapped tail, cracked nose and side, a small chunk out of the wing from the prop I believe, but all seems like it could be repaired.

Thanks for any input and suggestions!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WvxD1RaHmWM
GuyPilot is offline Find More Posts by GuyPilot
Old Jun 14, 2012, 11:55 AM
San Marcos, CA
Joined Aug 2009
2,849 Posts
Well adding FPV Gear adds another layer of complexity. Before you only had the Radio Transmitting to the plane, now you have the Video Transmitter, GPS, etc - all generating RF noise. It seems that most crashes results because of lost of signal. So it's not necessary the plane, but more the hardware you add.

One thing before you do anything are ground checks, range checks, etc.. that should give you already a good estimate if something is wrong. You also probably should setup RTH/Failsafe before you even attempt to fly long distance. So the first flights should be under LOS conditions only.
flyandi is offline Find More Posts by flyandi