HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 23, 2012, 09:28 PM
United States, OH, Columbiana
Joined Apr 2012
49 Posts
i have a question. i downloaded a model of the skywalker for rf5.5. when i do rolls, it tends to snap the horizontal stab off the vstab.. has anybody experienced this irl?
mlwartman is offline Find More Posts by mlwartman
to remove ads between posts
Old May 23, 2012, 09:31 PM
Praying for better weather
Joined Dec 2007
4,174 Posts
Not to go off topic, but how did you get your droid to work with my tracks and mfd, I can get it to pair but not to connect ?
Coyote64 is offline Find More Posts by Coyote64
Old May 23, 2012, 09:47 PM
Joined Jan 2012
249 Posts
Glen, Just got a chance to watch video, Nice
mikenc is offline Find More Posts by mikenc
Old May 23, 2012, 10:50 PM
At peace with his albatross
United States, CA, Vacaville
Joined Oct 2003
2,290 Posts
I made a Skywalker icon to follow my flight path. See how cool I am?

SW Tour Test 2 (3 min 35 sec)
wannabe is offline Find More Posts by wannabe
Old May 23, 2012, 11:14 PM
At peace with his albatross
United States, CA, Vacaville
Joined Oct 2003
2,290 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by miknce View Post
Just received skywalker in mail today looks to be same as v5.1. Suppose to be V6.I can't find anything on box that says which one it is. Can someone point me in the right direction of skywalker v5 build mainly wing reinforcement. I plane on attaching wings together permantly. I have been reading for past 6 months and have seen build suggestions but can't seem to locate again.
Thanks
Mike
Here is some quotes from post #13432

".....After pulling back hard with no response, I just took my hands off the sticks and puckered up tight. Eventually I rolled it away from the wind and the nose pulled itself up just a tiny bit and the wings bent in a U shape - I swear the wing tips were both pointing up! I helped it with some elevator being careful not to tip stall and snap roll, all the while this thing is plummeting to certain doom, but I barely got full control back to level flight at about 40 feet above the ground! "

"...I observed that the V5 wing with only the factory reinforcements will bend and not break . However, I am going to reinforce the wing (like everyone else ) and also put diagonal bracing on the tail. I initially did not think it would need either of these modifications, and indeed the wing was at max deflection and still did not break, but the tactile feeling I got on the sticks while wrestling this beotch into submission was one of squishy uncertainty. "

I eventually put a couple of 4mm CF strips in the wings but the V5 wing clearly did not need it. Also, my V5 wing was the "Metal Tube" version from LowPriceRc. I have about 4.5 hours on the same airframe and wing now.

Also I glued the wings permanently during the initial build.
wannabe is offline Find More Posts by wannabe
Old May 24, 2012, 03:40 AM
Papakura New Zealand
Joined Aug 2010
51 Posts
Hi Glen, nice video, great flight, I like the historical input, 6 miles sure looks like a long way on video. The flight look real interesting and for me the video would have been more interesting if you left out the music and did a narration of the flight, country side history etc. anyway well done and look forward to your next video. Regards Nigel PS what video TX are you using?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPVgrunt View Post
After 4 months of testing, crashing, retesting...I finally got the bird in the air and flew around a bit. Super smooth platform. Went 6+ miles and back with a historic flyby 3/4 the way home. Hopefully you can use some of my "mods" for your build.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GNAqD...ature=youtu.be

Enjoy!

Glenn
aka "FPVgrunt"

Best viewed in 1080
zl2sea is offline Find More Posts by zl2sea
Old May 24, 2012, 07:12 AM
Foam Snow
South Africa, WC, Cape Town
Joined Aug 2011
1,333 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wannabe View Post
That may have been my post here.
Also I think if I ever build another SW, I will use more glue in the boom and tail. On my first SW build I was thinking like a good modeler and using glue sparingly but the CF tube and all foam must be fused really well to gain the rigidity needed.
Ditto. I had the foam inserts holding the CF rod come loose in mid air while coming out of a dive, because I used the glue sparingly.. The two tubes they supply is nowhere near enough!
heinduplessis is offline Find More Posts by heinduplessis
Old May 24, 2012, 08:05 AM
Joined Jan 2012
249 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisbrit81 View Post
this is how I strengthened my wings http://fpv-forum.com/index.php?topic...sg3342#msg3342 but I have V4 wings, with 2 x carbon tubes as standard (much better idea than current single tube)
I guess you could add another CF strip.

once glued in, the wing is soooooooo rigid yet still really light. I did glue my wing halves together at first, but this proved a tad troublesome when it came to transportation in my hatchback. I guess there's a reason they designed it like this eh? as it works out, I had to use a hacksaw to detach the wings from each other, I had used gorilla glue.

The 2 separate wings are very srong, and on each flight when I put the CF tubes in, I simply join the wings with glassweave tape for the duration of the flight, then remove the tape (doesn't damage the foam) to pack it away in the boot.

I can now get the Skywalker, my Tripod GS and my toolbox all in the boot of my Honda Civic, with no need to put the seats down.... that means I can take my Daughter to the field with me when I fly
Thanks for the link with ideas. I think I should be in Newbie tread asking beginner ? Thanks to all for help!!
Mike
mikenc is offline Find More Posts by mikenc
Last edited by mikenc; May 24, 2012 at 08:10 AM.
Old May 24, 2012, 09:25 AM
San Marcos, CA
Joined Aug 2009
2,849 Posts
Aha ... they have a website http://skywalker-model.com/
flyandi is offline Find More Posts by flyandi
Old May 24, 2012, 12:19 PM
United States, TX, Santa Fe
Joined Oct 2011
143 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlodek9 View Post
Glenn
Same question/s. Inquiring minds want to know.
Your VTx at 6 miles looked very, very stable. What freq. are you useing (5.8?), what is your VTx power, what antennas are you useing on VTx and VRx?
Tell me, tell me, tell me.
Great video by the way. What video editing software are you useing for picture in picture?
I'm using Powerdirector 10 Ultra for PIP and transfering over to Windows Movie Maker Live for finishing.

Thanks!
FPVgrunt is offline Find More Posts by FPVgrunt
Old May 24, 2012, 12:23 PM
Joined Oct 2011
143 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zl2sea View Post
Hi Glen, nice video, great flight, I like the historical input, 6 miles sure looks like a long way on video. The flight look real interesting and for me the video would have been more interesting if you left out the music and did a narration of the flight, country side history etc. anyway well done and look forward to your next video. Regards Nigel PS what video TX are you using?
Thanks Nigel! I'm using a Lawmate 1.2 1000mw TX. Great idea about the narration. I never thought about that! Will consider it next time Also, if you go to my blog, you'll see the electronic setup I have for my Apprentice 15e. I just pulled the electronics for it and installed in my Skywalker.
Old May 24, 2012, 12:27 PM
Joined Oct 2011
143 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coyote64 View Post
Not to go off topic, but how did you get your droid to work with my tracks and mfd, I can get it to pair but not to connect ?
Note sure if you're addressing this to me but if you want to email me off line, I may be able to help you figure it out. Contact me at glenn@cosmicimpressions.com

Glenn
aka"FPVgrunt"
Old May 24, 2012, 12:58 PM
I tell her RC is cheap !
Quebec, Canada
Joined Sep 2006
12,804 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by heinduplessis View Post
I love this post
+1 ! Was ROFL, I would have poo in my pants too, scary moment for sure !
carguy1994ca is offline Find More Posts by carguy1994ca
RCG Plus Member
Old May 24, 2012, 12:59 PM
Praying for better weather
Joined Dec 2007
4,174 Posts
Quote:
Note sure if you're addressing this to me but if you want to email me off line, I may be able to help you figure it out. Contact me at glenn@cosmicimpressions.com

Glenn
aka"FPVgrunt"
Yes it was bud, I`ll drop you an email now
Coyote64 is offline Find More Posts by Coyote64
Old May 24, 2012, 01:26 PM
computer geek
United Kingdom, England, Chippenham
Joined Dec 2010
389 Posts
Quote:
I'm using Powerdirector 10 Ultra for PIP and transfering over to Windows Movie Maker Live for finishing.

Thanks!
snap, me too.
i'm in the process of shortening/editing a vid with a PiP of GoPro and VRX footage to compare them.

I had a bad flight, poor video image at only 600m

I lost all picture for several minutes, I broke wind too many times to count (thought i'd literally pooped) and actually sicked in my mouth twice. I thought I'd lost it for good. I flipped the RTL switch on my 9X transmitter, and the FY31AP did it's job perfectly.

I had to keep the throttle up pretty high in order to "hear" where the skywalker was so I could LOS land it.
CorporalB is offline Find More Posts by CorporalB
Last edited by CorporalB; May 24, 2012 at 02:05 PM. Reason: wrong video, sorry