HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 27, 2010, 10:35 AM
I think my wheels fell off.
Perth
Joined Oct 2009
894 Posts
Just some footage of today's flight test, not a lot went right. Prop is a dog, really out of balance, it will be changed. GoPro mount is worn, it's the actual clip from the stalk to the pad with sticky stuff, might goop it (that's the horrible rattle you hear and the reason the video jumps around). Pilot is still not used to gyro stabilization, I keep fighting it, I need to adjust my flying style to suit. LOS because the new Vtx for this plane seems to only work out to 50m, will investigate.

Skywalker however is going great, just enough power from the power 10 and the crappy 9x8, very stable and predictable platform. Remembering that it's not a glider, I'm not understanding the comments about it being a flying brick, I find that I'm getting very acceptable glide performance. Even better when I can work out how to set the brake on the ESC.

Sorry for audio, forgot to set lower volume

http://www.vimeo.com/12892003
Thumb_number is offline Find More Posts by Thumb_number
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 27, 2010, 10:38 AM
Mikrokopter Australia ;-)
Australia
Joined Apr 2008
1,443 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumb_number View Post
Yes sir. My mistake. Pictures.

It's a 2m crunchy wing I saved from a few years ago. No test today, have some Vtx issues, have to wait till next w/end.
Thats super cool ,cant wait to see her fly!
Simon
simonjardine is offline Find More Posts by simonjardine
Old Jun 27, 2010, 12:24 PM
More props are better than One
United States, AL
Joined Nov 2004
2,163 Posts
Quote:
Maiden today. "Flying brick" is not my first thought. It's properly a bit faster than I would have hoped, but at an AUW of 1.86Kg, could you really expect much more? I used the stock wing today, but have a bigger floater wing I hope to try tomorrow.

I'm really happy, so stable. The video shows the very first test chuck, then some cut's of 'low' laps of the local oval. CoG for this flight was 80mm, It's stability just told me to fly lower, I love it. FY20 may have helped there too. I will get out tomorrow for a FPV flight.
Loved the low flying....gave you a good sense of speed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo360 View Post
My setup:

Himax 3510-1100kv with APC 10x5

Kx191
Rvosd Gen4
TXv 900mhz 800mW
Long Range Rx v4.02

2x 3s 4400mah
1x 3s 1000mah
Nice flight... I didn't see anything wrong with that flight. Looked like it was very smooth...

All in all 2 very nice flights... I cant see the problem that ppl said they have with this plane, or at least from your 2 flights.
TaSaJaRa is offline Find More Posts by TaSaJaRa
Last edited by TaSaJaRa; Jun 28, 2010 at 01:27 AM.
Old Jun 27, 2010, 02:28 PM
Houba ! Houba !!
United Kingdom, England, Milton Keynes
Joined Sep 2003
6,124 Posts
Guys...
I must put my tongue in my backside !

Today I flew the skywalker with only a 5000 lipo up front. it balanced right where the servo wires are.
with this configuration the plane is a lot easier to control, climbs really easily, has an extended glide, and can fly really slowly. My spotter was saying all the time to watch it, it's going to stall, and it never did.

I am a lot happier with the model now. It is easier to launch too.
My problem now, is that I need to place the ESC in a cooler place. I left it in the compartment under the wing base and it is getting really hot there.
rcmonster99 is offline Find More Posts by rcmonster99
Old Jun 27, 2010, 04:14 PM
First to go over 106K feet
USA, IA, North Liberty
Joined Mar 2008
2,480 Posts
Here is what I'm planning to do to stiffen up the tail twist. The vertical tube is 4mm in diameter. I used some 1/8 liteply for the gusset. BTW when checking my Skywalker, the 10mm CF fuselage tube wasn't glued in very well. Perhaps this simple factor contributes to the twisty factor? Obviously, I'm going to be sure I glue it back in very well. This mod weighs 6 grams.
Crist Rigotti is online now Find More Posts by Crist Rigotti
Old Jun 27, 2010, 04:15 PM
Denmark Copenhagen Hvidovre
Joined Nov 2009
137 Posts
FPV skywalker next step!!

I am so glad for the Skywalker
I have been testing the CG, and the result seems to be perfect.
Iam only using a 4000mah 11.1v lipo batt + 800mah lipo for the video, and everything seems to be okay.

The only thing I need to make my FPV skywalker finished is some component that should have been come with the Skywalker, and the nosecover that the owner from FPVflying.com promissed me.
I will post some pictures soon.
iw28 is offline Find More Posts by iw28
Old Jun 27, 2010, 04:16 PM
my karma ranover my dogma
Edmonton,Canada Eh
Joined Jun 2007
7,570 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by iw28 View Post
I am so glad for the Skywalker
I have been testing the CG, and the result seems to be perfect.
Iam only using a 4000mah 11.1v lipo batt + 800mah lipo for the video, and everything seems to be okay.

The only thing I need to make my FPV skywalker finished is some component that should have been come with the Skywalker, and the nosecover that the owner from FPVflying.com promissed me.
I will post some pictures soon.
Where is your C/G?

Thanks!
galaxiex is offline Find More Posts by galaxiex
Old Jun 27, 2010, 04:21 PM
I love FPV!
Eastern side of Australia
Joined Jan 2007
4,650 Posts
Is hot glue OK to stick the motor wooden disk onto the mounting area? Or should it be CAd?
Cralis is offline Find More Posts by Cralis
Old Jun 27, 2010, 04:21 PM
Smoke on , go !
Verona - Italy
Joined Jan 2007
2,527 Posts
what is the real problem if the tail twist ?
zaguruinzasky is offline Find More Posts by zaguruinzasky
Old Jun 27, 2010, 04:26 PM
First to go over 106K feet
USA, IA, North Liberty
Joined Mar 2008
2,480 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zaguruinzasky View Post
what is the real problem if the tail twist ?
I would think stability would be one issue.
Crist Rigotti is online now Find More Posts by Crist Rigotti
Old Jun 27, 2010, 04:27 PM
Smoke on , go !
Verona - Italy
Joined Jan 2007
2,527 Posts
Quote:
Nice that's the Formula Nascar of FPV, I love when the sun makes flares in the GoPro lenses.. so cinema like...
Old Jun 27, 2010, 04:28 PM
Smoke on , go !
Verona - Italy
Joined Jan 2007
2,527 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crist Rigotti View Post
I would think stability would be one issue.
I suspect than making it all rigid the vibration will be more noticeable on camera and at a higher frequency, while without modification all the vibrations are absorbed by these moving parts..
Old Jun 27, 2010, 04:30 PM
Joined Nov 2009
137 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxiex View Post
Where is your C/G?

Thanks!
Hi

CG is 7.5
Old Jun 27, 2010, 04:31 PM
Joined Nov 2009
137 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cralis View Post
Is hot glue OK to stick the motor wooden disk onto the mounting area? Or should it be CAd?
yes is it ok to use hot glue, but not to much.
Old Jun 27, 2010, 06:25 PM
I think my wheels fell off.
Perth
Joined Oct 2009
894 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crist Rigotti View Post
Here is what I'm planning to do to stiffen up the tail twist. The vertical tube is 4mm in diameter. I used some 1/8 liteply for the gusset. BTW when checking my Skywalker, the 10mm CF fuselage tube wasn't glued in very well. Perhaps this simple factor contributes to the twisty factor? Obviously, I'm going to be sure I glue it back in very well. This mod weighs 6 grams.
Hi Crist,

Are you planning on drilling a hole in the existing spar to accept the 4mm tube? I would suggest to do that if not, and just extend it till it just comes out the bottom of the plane. What your doing will be a good mod. (just if you do drill a hole, make sure it's straight!!) My tail is twisty but isn't showing to be that bigger deal.
Thumb_number is offline Find More Posts by Thumb_number