HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 24, 2010, 05:44 PM
More props are better than One
United States, AL, Sumiton
Joined Nov 2004
2,155 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MorrisM View Post
Does that mean the motor can't ever be removed after the plate is glued on?
Yep you would have to rip the motor mount off the plane to remove the motor. Take it brushless motors don't need much maintenance but I like to be able to remove my motor if I like...

I have my plane on order along with a DX210, I will mount it up high on the canopy so I can mount a GoPro Hero HD out on the nose to get a good clear view.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gundy View Post
the bearing pops out.
How about a little thin CA? that could hold the bearing and the shaft...
will CA stick to the shaft? I will just use JB
How about a little blue loctite on the bearing sleeve, making sure not to get it oh the sides of the bearing. CA for me is just a little risky that it may seep onto the rollers inside.
It all comes down to what works best for you.

This should give you a better Idea on how to swap the shaft around on a Turnigy Motor
I have done this but I use a vise with slow even pressure. And if I do any grinding a wet a paper towel works good just poke a hole in it and slide it over the shaft so not to get metal filings in the magnet area. Plus the wet towel keeps heat from building on the shaft as much.

Converting your Turnigy Motor to a Pusher Mount
TaSaJaRa is offline Find More Posts by TaSaJaRa
Last edited by TaSaJaRa; Jun 24, 2010 at 05:50 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 24, 2010, 06:49 PM
Mikrokopter Australia ;-)
Australia
Joined Apr 2008
1,440 Posts
Yeah, 4 cells just make sense. More power, less amps. I also use a 12v cam/transmitter, i just plug it into the balance plug making sure it hooks up to 12v. The transmitter works best with the antenna straight. So you could put it underneath the wing, or along side the fuse.
When you say better view, i sort of understand, camera on top. For me this is just no good, the drag and efficiency of the plane will drop. I will be making the camera fit in that nice clear pod.
This is how my 6ft UAV Wing is set up, it works well. I notice when you bend the antenna, the video reception is reduced. Looking forward to seeing the Skywalker on Monday
simonjardine is offline Find More Posts by simonjardine
Old Jun 24, 2010, 06:55 PM
Ozzie Express wiggy pilot
YANKALILLA , SOUTH AUSTRALIA.
Joined Nov 2002
5,234 Posts
with the camera on top you wont ever see the VERY slight increase in drag....the advantages are worth it , better view and less dew ,grass, buggs,trees,walls,cars......in your camera lens....dont work for inverted landings though......
Ian
SON OF PALEFACE is offline Find More Posts by SON OF PALEFACE
Old Jun 24, 2010, 06:58 PM
First to go over 106K feet
USA, IA, North Liberty
Joined Mar 2008
2,479 Posts
Has anybody noticed that the LE of the stab is almost flat?
Crist Rigotti is offline Find More Posts by Crist Rigotti
Old Jun 24, 2010, 07:48 PM
I love FPV!
Eastern side of Australia
Joined Jan 2007
4,650 Posts
Vertical or horizonal?
Cralis is offline Find More Posts by Cralis
Old Jun 24, 2010, 07:55 PM
USA, IA, North Liberty
Joined Mar 2008
2,479 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cralis View Post
Vertical or horizonal?
Oops! Horizontal stab LE.
Old Jun 24, 2010, 07:56 PM
Falling with style
Canada, QC
Joined Apr 2010
1,329 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crist Rigotti View Post
Has anybody noticed that the LE of the stab is almost flat?
True. I have it in front of me and did not notice at first, but after looking closely I think I am going to sand it to make it more sharp.
metalfred is offline Find More Posts by metalfred
Old Jun 24, 2010, 10:21 PM
W4UAV
Gainesville, FL
Joined Nov 2005
1,043 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by metalfred View Post
True. I have it in front of me and did not notice at first, but after looking closely I think I am going to sand it to make it more sharp.
Still flies like a dump truck!
RaptorAP is offline Find More Posts by RaptorAP
Old Jun 24, 2010, 10:22 PM
USA, IA, North Liberty
Joined Mar 2008
2,479 Posts
I'm not sure if this has been asked before but has anybody made the wing a 2 piece affair AKA Easy Star besides Sander? I would think that I could get away with just sliding in the CF tubes into thier EPO pockets. Adding some reinforced strapping tape on the bottom too? Maybe the all up weight precludes me from doing this. Opinions?
Old Jun 25, 2010, 02:40 AM
Houba ! Houba !!
United Kingdom, England, Milton Keynes
Joined Sep 2003
6,035 Posts
In my opinion you don't need to glue both wing halves together since the strength of the wing is in the CF tubes.
The slot on the fuselage will even keep the wings together.

Following the thread there has been a lot said about wings breaking up, so I added CF strips as per Sander recommendation.
However, ever fibre of my body says the wings are just fine as they are.

the issue is how much load weight you put in this plane... If you pack it full of batteries and other electronics and gopro cameras or camcorders, I think you might get into a scenario where the stresses of a high G manoeuvre might cause structural failure.

In my opinion the best thing to do to this plane is modify the nose by extending it
rcmonster99 is offline Find More Posts by rcmonster99
Old Jun 25, 2010, 09:00 AM
Blu-Core is my friend
La Crosse, WI
Joined Apr 2006
810 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcmonster99 View Post
In my opinion you don't need to glue both wing halves together since the strength of the wing is in the CF tubes.The slot on the fuselage will even keep the wings together.
Following the thread there has been a lot said about wings breaking up, so I added CF strips as per Sander recommendation.
However, ever fibre of my body says the wings are just fine as they are.
the issue is how much load weight you put in this plane... If you pack it full of batteries and other electronics and gopro cameras or camcorders, I think you might get into a scenario where the stresses of a high G manoeuvre might cause structural failure. In my opinion the best thing to do to this plane is modify the nose by extending it
I think you are right about the wing. I did my wing last night, and only put 1 spar in each side. The fuselage will hold the wing together very well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crist Rigotti
I'm not sure if this has been asked before but has anybody made the wing a 2 piece affair AKA Easy Star besides Sander? I would think that I could get away with just sliding in the CF tubes into thier EPO pockets. Adding some reinforced strapping tape on the bottom too? Maybe the all up weight precludes me from doing this. Opinions?
I did my wing the same way I do Easy* wings. I did have a heck of a time sliding them apart, they fit tight adding tape will not be needed, the fuselage holds them together.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaptorAP
Still flies like a dump truck!
I will be using it as a dump truck... hauling lots of gear. My sports car is the Easy*. Every plane has its use thats why we need so many.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaSaJaRa
How about a little blue loctite on the bearing sleeve, making sure not to get it oh the sides of the bearing. CA for me is just a little risky that it may seep onto the rollers inside.It all comes down to what works best for you.
This should give you a better Idea on how to swap the shaft around on a Turnigy Motor I have done this but I use a vise with slow even pressure. And if I do any grinding a wet a paper towel works good just poke a hole in it and slide it over the shaft so not to get metal filings in the magnet area. Plus the wet towel keeps heat from building on the shaft as much.
I did see that video... If I ever have something I need information on I go to YouTube. There is always a video that shows how someone did it.
I found a 4mm collar in my motor parts box. that way I can still take it apart.
Gundy is offline Find More Posts by Gundy
Old Jun 26, 2010, 03:05 AM
Italia, Piemonte, Torino
Joined Jul 2009
798 Posts
My setup:

Himax 3510-1100kv with APC 10x5

Kx191
Rvosd Gen4
TXv 900mhz 800mW
Long Range Rx v4.02

2x 3s 4400mah
1x 3s 1000mah

Video:

First Flight with SkyWalker on Vimeo
Neo360 is offline Find More Posts by Neo360
Old Jun 26, 2010, 04:11 AM
Fly like a bird
Beijing & ShenZhen, China
Joined May 2010
480 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo360 View Post
My setup:

Himax 3510-1100kv with APC 10x5

Kx191
Rvosd Gen4
TXv 900mhz 800mW
Long Range Rx v4.02

2x 3s 4400mah
1x 3s 1000mah

Video:

First Flight with SkyWalker on Vimeo

I think the whole weight of your skywalker have been exceed 2kg,
Good flight!
BEVRC is offline Find More Posts by BEVRC
Old Jun 26, 2010, 04:58 AM
Italia, Piemonte, Torino
Joined Jul 2009
798 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BEVRC View Post
I think the whole weight of your skywalker have been exceed 2kg,
Good flight!
Weigh almost 2.2 kg
Neo360 is offline Find More Posts by Neo360
Old Jun 26, 2010, 06:24 AM
Oklahoma City
Joined May 2004
1,667 Posts
Nice flying Neo. Very smooth. You should consider putting a Gopro HD on the nose. You could make some very nice videos with your smooth piloting skills.
MorrisM is offline Find More Posts by MorrisM