HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 24, 2010, 02:48 AM
I love FPV!
Eastern side of Australia
Joined Jan 2007
4,650 Posts
Got my motor...

But the aluminum cross shaped thing that attaches to the wooden disk.,.. is slightly too big... How are you guys attaching your motor to the plane?
Cralis is offline Find More Posts by Cralis
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 24, 2010, 03:52 AM
Mikrokopter Australia ;-)
Australia
Joined Apr 2008
1,443 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaSaJaRa View Post
Here ya go... iw28's FPV SkyWalker
It looks great, but why would you put the fpv camera on top? The plane is designed for a camera to go into the nose. Would be a shame to spoil those aerodynamics. More drag etc... I think i will be using a go pro or fpv camera inside the nose.
Another thought, would be to have the video transmitter antenna below the plane not above, unless you plan to fly inverted all the time
Simon
P.S after reading more about problems with COG and heavy = fast, hacking noses off, extending noses... Surly this plane is designed for long UAV flights, who here is using 4 cells?
simonjardine is offline Find More Posts by simonjardine
Last edited by simonjardine; Jun 24, 2010 at 04:11 AM.
Old Jun 24, 2010, 07:54 AM
Joined Mar 2010
61 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cralis View Post
Got my motor...

But the aluminum cross shaped thing that attaches to the wooden disk.,.. is slightly too big... How are you guys attaching your motor to the plane?
I had the same problem with the same motor (XP series). I fashioned another wooden disk a bit larger than the first. Once the first is glued in, you have a larger, flush surface to work with. I used a grinder to make the new disk, fastened the motor to it and then glued it to the first. I'm 100% certain there's a better way, but this worked.
VAMountains is offline Find More Posts by VAMountains
Old Jun 24, 2010, 08:12 AM
USA, NC, Matthews
Joined Aug 2008
3,243 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by simonjardine View Post
It looks great, but why would you put the fpv camera on top? The plane is designed for a camera to go into the nose. Would be a shame to spoil those aerodynamics. More drag etc... I think i will be using a go pro or fpv camera inside the nose.
Another thought, would be to have the video transmitter antenna below the plane not above, unless you plan to fly inverted all the time
Simon
P.S after reading more about problems with COG and heavy = fast, hacking noses off, extending noses... Surly this plane is designed for long UAV flights, who here is using 4 cells?
Actually, there are several places "designed" for a camera on this plane. The place he has his is the same place I mounted mine. There is a servo cutout there for the pan servo. Agreed, having it further forward would help with the cg, but I wanted it up high to have a better view.

As for the antenna location, this brings up one question I have had for awhile. Is it better to have the antenna pointing up or down? It is my understanding that the area directly above and below the antenna are dead spots and the size of the dead spot is determined by the db gain of the antenna. I know many different types of antennas work differently but I am talking specifically about the omni "rubber duck" types used more commonly. I have thought about mounting the tx under a wing with the antenna pointing down. I have it pointing down on my Mikrokopter and have not seen any difference than when I had it pointing up. Although the ranges I fly my MK (close) probably wouldn't show a difference anyway.

I thought about using the 4s batteries I already have as well, but, being that my cam/video tx etc run off 12v, I would rather use 3s with higher mah than 4s
techspy is offline Find More Posts by techspy
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My Esprit Saga
Old Jun 24, 2010, 08:43 AM
Denmark Copenhagen Hvidovre
Joined Nov 2009
137 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by simonjardine View Post
Simon
Thanks,
My idea was to install the camera on top because ill get a better view, and it was designed to install the camera on top, the little hole on top the plane is designed to hold a servo to get a pan and if so a tilt for the camera.
The Gopro camera would awsome for nice FPV flying!!
what do you mean with installing the video antenna above? it is installed in correct place
Surly this plane is designed for long FPV and UAV flights!!
I was also thinking about the battery, but you just gave me an idea, thanks!!
iw28 is offline Find More Posts by iw28
Old Jun 24, 2010, 09:53 AM
Blu-Core is my friend
La Crosse, WI
Joined Apr 2006
813 Posts
Do not Panic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gundy View Post
There is a set screw on the bell and an e-clip on the other end... but when I pulled it apart, it looks like it is "glued" in. I did not try to move it with a puller, I don't want to wreck it. I may try to use some debonder, and try a little harder tonight.
Well, one should not panic before you try...
Last night I set up my drill press to push out the shaft on my motor.
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idproduct=8504
Took the e-clip off and took out the set screw, I put the bell in the jig I set up and was going to start pressing it out... I stopped to get the debonder out.
As I was reaching for the bottle I knocked over the bell and it hit the floor.
when I picked it up... the shaft was gone surprised, I started looking around and found it under my lathe.
It slid back in, the correct way, very easily. the set screw will work for one side, but I am going to need a collar of some kind to lock it on. I may just cut a new trench for e-clip.

Later,
Gundy
Gundy is offline Find More Posts by Gundy
Last edited by Gundy; Jun 24, 2010 at 12:45 PM.
Old Jun 24, 2010, 09:55 AM
USA, NC, Matthews
Joined Aug 2008
3,243 Posts
Good deal! Use a lock collar. Won't have too much pressure as it is going to be a pusher setup.
techspy is offline Find More Posts by techspy
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My Esprit Saga
Old Jun 24, 2010, 10:04 AM
Blu-Core is my friend
La Crosse, WI
Joined Apr 2006
813 Posts
planes got here today, 7 days, not bad

I picked up my planes from the post office before work today. They love it when you knock on the door before hours to get stuff
WOW what a mess. the box was ripped in several places and retaped, not very well. when I asked about the conduction, she said customs must have opened it... those customs guys are rough
I have not opened it yet.
Old Jun 24, 2010, 11:58 AM
Oklahoma City
Joined May 2004
1,679 Posts
Like techspy said, there won't be any pressure on it as a pusher. I wouldn't bother with making any retainer. It's not going to go anywhere.
MorrisM is offline Find More Posts by MorrisM
Old Jun 24, 2010, 12:43 PM
Blu-Core is my friend
La Crosse, WI
Joined Apr 2006
813 Posts
but there needs to be something there to hold the bearing in.
Old Jun 24, 2010, 03:42 PM
Norway
Joined Jul 2009
53 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cralis View Post
Got my motor...

Hello!

Dont use the aluminium cross. Just drill holes in the wooden disk and attach it directly, before you glue it on to the plane.
FPVlarsen is offline Find More Posts by FPVlarsen
Old Jun 24, 2010, 03:49 PM
Oklahoma City
Joined May 2004
1,679 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gundy View Post
but there needs to be something there to hold the bearing in.
The bearing is usually press fit in to the motor. If yours is loose, then yes you need a retainer. I personally would glue the bearing in. I use JB Weld to glue in bearings. It also insures there is no extra slop that could cause vibrations.
Old Jun 24, 2010, 03:51 PM
Oklahoma City
Joined May 2004
1,679 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FPVlarsen View Post
Hello!

Dont use the aluminium cross. Just drill holes in the wooden disk and attach it directly, before you glue it on to the plane.
Does that mean the motor can't ever be removed after the plate is glued on?
Old Jun 24, 2010, 04:23 PM
Blu-Core is my friend
La Crosse, WI
Joined Apr 2006
813 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MorrisM View Post
The bearing is usually press fit in to the motor. If yours is loose, then yes you need a retainer. I personally would glue the bearing in. I use JB Weld to glue in bearings. It also insures there is no extra slop that could cause vibrations.

the bearing pops out.
How about a little thin CA? that could hold the bearing and the shaft...
will CA stick to the shaft? I will just use JB
Old Jun 24, 2010, 04:36 PM
Oklahoma City
Joined May 2004
1,679 Posts
I've never used CA for bearings. Careful to not get any in the bearing if you do.

To use JB Weld, wipe the stator mount bearing hole and the outside of the bearing with alcohol to remove oils and grease. Apply a paper thin layer of JB in the motor bearing tube. Press the bearing in and set aside overnight to set.