HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 22, 2010, 04:29 AM
I love FPV!
Eastern side of Australia
Joined Jan 2007
4,650 Posts
Still no build progress, and anyone getting the 'EPO' version?
Cralis is offline Find More Posts by Cralis
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 23, 2010, 07:35 PM
I love FPV!
Joined Jan 2007
4,650 Posts
Does the plane come with pushrods and all that?
Old Apr 24, 2010, 12:42 AM
Houba ! Houba !!
United Kingdom, England, Milton Keynes
Joined Sep 2003
6,043 Posts
Fergus ?.???? Oooo Feeeeerguuuuus..... Any progress ? I hope things are ok with you
rcmonster99 is offline Find More Posts by rcmonster99
Old Apr 24, 2010, 04:40 AM
Ireland
Joined Apr 2005
353 Posts
Haha. I'm still waiting on a tower hobbies order for my servos. I can't put the fuse together till I get them.

Once they arrive things should go together quickly. I have the wings finished. That was the biggest job because they were very fragile.

Cralis,

pushrods are included as are horns for the control surfaces (not enough for flaps though). The horns do not put the pivot point over the centre of the hinge line which will cause unequal throw. Something I may need to look at when setting up the ailerons as I only have one channel available due to the limitations of the co-pilot.

Question:

What would you guys suggest for fixing the plywood motor mount to the eps foam. Will glueing to the foam be enough.
Fergus is offline Find More Posts by Fergus
Old Apr 24, 2010, 04:42 AM
I love FPV!
Joined Jan 2007
4,650 Posts
Hotglu may work?
Old Apr 24, 2010, 05:07 AM
Ireland
Joined Apr 2005
353 Posts
I was going to glue a dowel into the foam and put a self tapper through the plywood disc backed up by glue. The dowel should give a greater surface area for glue to adhere to.

This foam (eps version) is extremely fragile. It's taking alot of work to get a reasonably strong plane. If i'd known the epo version was coming I would have held out for it and alot of this work going into the eps version would not have been necessary.

Guys I still have no idea of the correct CG. If anyone has flown this plane or perhaps have seen the numbers quoted somewhere please post a link. Thanks.

Regards

Fergus.
Old Apr 24, 2010, 05:09 AM
Houba ! Houba !!
Joined Sep 2003
6,043 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fergus View Post

Question:

What would you guys suggest for fixing the plywood motor mount to the eps foam. Will glueing to the foam be enough.
I would personally use 5 min epoxy... The other thing to do to avoid ripping the foam, is to spread the load by glueing a plate (very thin plywood ) to the horn area and then glue the horn to the ply
Old Apr 24, 2010, 02:42 PM
Istanbul / Turkey
Joined Oct 2007
185 Posts
Hi Fergus

Sorry for my late response.

CG is 3 inches (7.5 cm) from the LE of the wing.

We are waiting for your videos, I will send to you servos

Best regards
Adnan.
FPVistanbul is offline Find More Posts by FPVistanbul
Old Apr 25, 2010, 12:42 PM
Southwest Chicago
Joined Jul 2006
25 Posts
Quick question on the glassing of foam. Can I use the ol' ladies used brown panty hose or should they be a special type? Serious question

And another question, can servo troughs etc be cut out if glassed over, or should one take care not to glass over these areas? I have a spare EZ* I'm going to practice on before ordering Skywalker. And like most, am waiting to see how Fergus makes out.
CageHound is offline Find More Posts by CageHound
Old Apr 25, 2010, 02:59 PM
Ireland
Joined Apr 2005
353 Posts
The regular old type of stockings are exactly what to use. Some things i've learned from doing this.

1. Make sure you stretch the nylon so it is a tight, well strectched fit over the foam without excess material on the surface. Use pins or clamps to secure the excess material.

2. Keep the polyurethane coat light. This is just to adhere the stockings to the foam.

3. Use spakle mixed with water to then fill the seems.

4. Sand with 200grit.

5. Spakle again then sand finishing with wetodry sand paper.

You can cover servo holes etc with the nylons. The polyurethane drys leaving the fabric much more rigid and its easy to cut with an x-acto. Same applies on the edges of the wings. Get plenty of polyurethane on the excess as it makes it very easy to cut away.Dont worry about adding too much water to the spakle (pollyfilla in Ireland). The excess water evaporates as the filler dries. Adding water makes it easier to apply.

You won't get a brilliant white finish without adding several extra coats of spakle. So on a serious note if you are particular about how the finished product will look try getting white stockings. The ones I used were the regular tan colour and its left the wing an off white colour . It can be painted but thats just more weight. I just wanted it to be flexible and strong. As it is now after glassing this way I can bend the wing without it snapping. Not as flexible as epo but not nearly as brittle as it was before I started.

For a large wing this method of reinforcing is great. With the curves of the fuselage I'm not sure it would be so easy. The nylon lifts if pulled over a concave curve. If you try to cut it to fit the elasticity causes it to just bunch up. I used regular fiberglass inside the fuselage and will reinforce the outside with reinforced tape.

Regards

Fergus
Old Apr 25, 2010, 07:59 PM
Southwest Chicago
Joined Jul 2006
25 Posts
Great info - thank you.
CageHound is offline Find More Posts by CageHound
Old Apr 25, 2010, 11:18 PM
I love FPV!
Joined Jan 2007
4,650 Posts
I assume the stockings won't be required with the EPO version?
Old Apr 26, 2010, 02:11 AM
Houba ! Houba !!
Joined Sep 2003
6,043 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cralis View Post
I assume the stockings won't be required with the EPO version?
nope.... only for kicks
Old Apr 26, 2010, 09:42 AM
Joined Jun 2009
271 Posts
EPO Skywalker FPV plane back in stock on FPVflying.com
Hooks is offline Find More Posts by Hooks
Old Apr 26, 2010, 11:20 AM
Joined Apr 2010
42 Posts
I have just found this one:
http://www.lowpricerc.com/product_in...roducts_id=981

Looks cheaper.
(KNO3) is offline Find More Posts by (KNO3)