Old Oct 10, 2011, 07:03 PM
Happy Days
United Kingdom, High Wycombe
Joined Mar 2001
4,270 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmsgodeep View Post
Hey guys,
I'm new to this thread...and this build. I have just completed my first Skywalker and honestly this is my first plane. I've been flying the Mikrokopter heli's for 2 years now.
I'm a bit nervous to do my first test flight. With heli's I'm used to being able to do quick hops to make sure all controls are right, etc.

Is there way to check everything with maybe a hand launch with the motor off to see if this glides and tracks like it's supposed to? I don't know if this thing will glide if I just toss it and I don't want to nose-dive it into the ground.

Any other tips, suggestions on pre-flight checks...or any tips on getting your feet wet flying a plane vs a heli. yes...I've done it quite a bit in RealFlight simulator...so I'm not afraid of being able to fly it once it's up. I'm just worried about getting it up.

The AUW will be about 1970g with all the fpv and gopro...but that will come after some test flights.
My COG is right at the servo wire channels on the wing.

Any thoughts, tips?

Thanks Guys.
Brent
If you look on the video above I have fitted structs to the stabiliser/tail.

I have fitted cut down servo horns glued into the fuz and stab.
I then have some 2mm carbon with clevises on each end so that I can unclip it all so I can take the stab off.
I also laied in a flat peice of carbon 8x1mm inside the fin when it was being built which I think helps.
mudlark is offline Find More Posts by mudlark
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 10, 2011, 07:41 PM
I do all my own crashes
United States, NH, Rochester
Joined Jan 2011
243 Posts
Keep it light at first so you can just putt around and get familiar with the plane. I've always done more damage tossing my planes for a short glide, I guess that would be not having enough air over the control surfaces too correct the path. If you fly a heli you should be good to go with some sim practice. ~Wingnut13
Wingnut13 is offline Find More Posts by Wingnut13
Old Oct 10, 2011, 07:48 PM
AMA 937634
United States, AK, Anchorage
Joined Jan 2010
1,652 Posts
@ dmsgodeep

Check your CoG first. I balanced mine about 30mm behind where the aileron wires are buried in the wing.

Check your throws on your control surfaces to be sure that they're centered and even side to side or top to bottom. I have 1/2" on my ailerons, 1/2" on the elevator and 3/4" on the rudder. I'm not sure what everyone else is running or what is preferred; this is just what I've got right now. It seems to fly well enough for my test flights.

Use all 4 rubber bands and strap your wing in an alternating L pattern, don't just run the bands from front to back in straight lines.

You can power off glide this but go someplace soft! I prefer long grass when I do a throw just to get as much cushion as I can.

Make sure your control surfaces aren't reversed. When you give the ailerons right stick, the right aileron should come up and the left down. The opposite is true on the other side. On the rudder the same is true; push the stick right and the rudder should go right. The elevator should go up when you pull your stick back and down when you push forward.

-Mike
Stone1295 is online now Find More Posts by Stone1295
Old Oct 11, 2011, 12:58 AM
Austin, Texas
Joined Apr 2009
499 Posts
Thanks Wingnut for the vote of confidence.

Mike, thanks for the run-down of the controls, etc. I had it all correct....but it's good to have it all verified. Thanks.

Maiden flight will be this week sometime.

Thanks again for the info and feedback guys.

Brent
dmsgodeep is offline Find More Posts by dmsgodeep
Old Oct 11, 2011, 01:52 AM
Austin, Texas
Joined Apr 2009
499 Posts
tail wiggle

when I powered up the motor today testing the thrust I noticed the tail wiggles quite a lot. Is this a problem? I glued the cf rod inside the tail at only one spot at each end. i suppose I should have glued it the enitire length to reduce this. the fuse is now glued together. Is there anything I can/should do to limit this tail shake or is it going to be fine once airborn?

Thanks,
Brent
Old Oct 11, 2011, 01:53 AM
AMA 937634
United States, AK, Anchorage
Joined Jan 2010
1,652 Posts
Good luck dmsgodeep!

I put the keychain camera on my plane this evening and pointed it towards the front and took it up for a 15 minute flight. Wow! I was surprised to see how much vibration I had on my plane! :0

I had balanced my prop before my first flight so I was pretty surprised at the video. When the motor was running high the video was to bad it was hard to watch. When I was gliding everything calmed down and the video was about as decent as the keychain cameras can provide.

I've ordered some new props so I'll see if that's the problem. I'm hoping that the motor isn't out of balance too!

I should state that even with the vibrations that the plane still flew well and I had no problems. I just want to clear up the video before I go do some FPV flying.

-Mike
Stone1295 is online now Find More Posts by Stone1295
Old Oct 11, 2011, 01:58 AM
Lakewood, Colorado
Joined Aug 2002
29,119 Posts
Quote:
when I powered up the motor today testing the thrust I noticed the tail wiggles quite a lot. Is this a problem? I glued the cf rod inside the tail at only one spot at each end. i suppose I should have glued it the enitire length to reduce this. the fuse is now glued together. Is there anything I can/should do to limit this tail shake or is it going to be fine once airborn?

Thanks,
Brent
While normally I'd say that the tail shake is normal and nothing to worry about,
that would be assuming you'd glued the rod in along its full length, as you
definitely should have done. In your case, there's no telling.

ian
Daemon is offline Find More Posts by Daemon
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 11, 2011, 03:17 AM
Houba ! Houba !!
United Kingdom, England, Milton Keynes
Joined Sep 2003
6,314 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mudlark View Post
So finally got mine put together. And then I weighed it. 2050grams
That's fully loaded with a 4500 3s battery a 1000 3s VTX battery camera etc and a gopro. Also got lights on it. Oh and flaps.
Is it plot is it porker?
with all this gear on I think you came out pretty light. some people here gor themselves a 2.5Kg plane ! I see you used a cloverleaf on your plane. Interesting, quite big for a 1.2GHz !

Quote:
I'm a bit nervous to do my first test flight.
Is there way to check everything with maybe a hand launch with the motor off to see if this glides and tracks like it's supposed to?
If you are not sure, use a windy day, and run into wind with the plane in your hand, it will want to lift off. let it go as if hovering above the palm of your hand you can catch it any time things go weird. That will give you a good idea wether the plane will fly or not

Quote:
when I powered up the motor today testing the thrust I noticed the tail wiggles quite a lot.
Thanks,
Brent
As Daemon says. provided you glued the carbon fibre shaft correctly there should not be a reason to be concerned. both my SW tail wiggle with no noticeable effect in flight
rcmonster99 is offline Find More Posts by rcmonster99
Old Oct 11, 2011, 10:37 AM
Joined Jan 2011
577 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by heinduplessis View Post
Bit more detail: when Right Rudder is applied, the Right Wing dips sharply. This is exacerbated with higher speeds. Could it be my rudder throw is too much? Causing the wing to stall??
The secondary effect or rudder is roll. And if its dipping sharply its probably because you have too much throw.
htran is offline Find More Posts by htran
Old Oct 11, 2011, 11:14 AM
Austin, Texas
Joined Apr 2009
499 Posts
Thanks for the comments and suggestions regarding tail wiggle. I have to figure out some way to get some epoxy into the tail around the cf without having to rip the whole thing back apart. I'm thinking a few small holes and a syringe. ?
Old Oct 11, 2011, 12:28 PM
Lakewood, Colorado
Joined Aug 2002
29,119 Posts
Quote:
Thanks for the comments and suggestions regarding tail wiggle. I have to figure out some way to get some epoxy into the tail around the cf without having to rip the whole thing back apart. I'm thinking a few small holes and a syringe. ?
Use medium CA instead of epoxy. CA bonds chemically to EPO foam. Epoxy does not.

ian
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 11, 2011, 01:56 PM
Suspended Account
United States, FL, Maitland
Joined Apr 2011
2,109 Posts
whenever I use CA on my hawk sky the foam melts away like i set it on fire
chatch15117 is offline Find More Posts by chatch15117
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Oct 11, 2011, 02:01 PM
United States, CA, Sebastopol
Joined Dec 2010
8,118 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chatch15117 View Post
whenever I use CA on my hawk sky the foam melts away like i set it on fire
Well... come on! You've got to use "foam safe" CA!
erkq is online now Find More Posts by erkq
Old Oct 11, 2011, 02:09 PM
Lakewood, Colorado
Joined Aug 2002
29,119 Posts
Hawk sky has different type and quality of foam.
Regular CA works just fine on the Skywalker. I use it for construction and repairs all the time.

ian
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 11, 2011, 02:11 PM
United States, CA, Sebastopol
Joined Dec 2010
8,118 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daemon View Post
Hawk sky has different type and quality of foam.
Regular CA works just fine on the Skywalker. I use it for construction and repairs all the time.

ian
Well, right... but if your plane melts, time for "foam safe", right?
erkq is online now Find More Posts by erkq