HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 07, 2011, 10:24 AM
Joined Jun 2008
183 Posts
I have flown my V5. I am still having issues with the plane not wanting to bank right, with right aileron input. It will, but VERY slowly.

I have mixed in a bit of rudder with aileron inputs but it still doesn't react in a way that I am used too. My motor has 2-3 degree's of left thrust, meaning the right side of the motor mount has 2 washers under it to push it back a bit. Wondering if this is bad and causing this?
beaverlover is offline Find More Posts by beaverlover
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 07, 2011, 11:24 AM
On a holiday?
Uppsala, Sweden
Joined Sep 2008
3,599 Posts
@Undcon & mudlark
The problem with having the servo behind the camera (as in my version A) is that the DX201is so long it will be much moment on the tilt servo. Having it below makes the whole PT more compact and the moments are as small as possible (I think).

Also having the servo behind the camera would require that the pan arm would have to be higher to make tilt down possible. As it is now the overall height is actually the same.
boopidoo is online now Find More Posts by boopidoo
Old Oct 07, 2011, 11:26 AM
Back in Hong Kong
Joined Sep 2003
965 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IL76MD View Post
Hi guys,

does somebody finish building and flew new vers. 5 of the SW?
Link to building thread?
Some of my friends told that vers 4 was much better then 5, cause there is one only wing joiner and it is easy to fold, quality is very bad, tubes inside wings are moving freely and other bad things.
Or am I wrong?
Enybody?
Thanks.
Yep , I built and flew the New V5

All standard in the build even use supplied glue. No tape/extra carbon or firber glass was add to the wing,

I did add struts to the tail though.

I have a 4S 3800mah batt onboard and the motor supplied by BEV.rc.

I gave it a real workout. Loops Rolls full power dives with agressive pullps. It handle it without a problem and the manovers were way wilder than you would ever do on an FPV flight. I am happy to sign this machine off as ready to load in the gear and put it into service.

By far the best skywalker...ps keep the rubber bands tight

my version 2 broke up in flight in a shallow dive and I think part of the problem was loose rubber bands.
hornant is offline Find More Posts by hornant
Old Oct 07, 2011, 11:22 PM
I do all my own crashes
United States, NH, Rochester
Joined Jan 2011
243 Posts
It was a beautiful day in here in NH and I got my skywalker in the air. I had all sorts of little issues with the plane and equipment but when I finally got setup and got the plane out to a range of 6500' I lost video signal in my goggles...... I switched on the RTH on my RVOSD5. In a few seconds the signal came back to the monitor but not the goggles. I'll have to figure out what happened there, but thanks to the RTH the Skywalker came back.

I have two IBCrazy CP antennas that I built. I really have not idea how well they are really tuned to each other but they do seem to work great. I'm just having issues when trying to get low+far. I was on a hillside looking over where I was flying so I thought I could go lower than I did..... oh well.
Wingnut13 is offline Find More Posts by Wingnut13
Old Oct 08, 2011, 04:34 AM
Happy Days
United Kingdom, England, Exmouth
Joined Mar 2001
4,184 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingnut13 View Post
It was a beautiful day in here in NH and I got my skywalker in the air. I had all sorts of little issues with the plane and equipment but when I finally got setup and got the plane out to a range of 6500' I lost video signal in my goggles...... I switched on the RTH on my RVOSD5. In a few seconds the signal came back to the monitor but not the goggles. I'll have to figure out what happened there, but thanks to the RTH the Skywalker came back.

I have two IBCrazy CP antennas that I built. I really have not idea how well they are really tuned to each other but they do seem to work great. I'm just having issues when trying to get low+far. I was on a hillside looking over where I was flying so I thought I could go lower than I did..... oh well.
whiach antennas are you using?
Just build a Cloverleaf TX. Do I need to build a RX one as well?
mudlark is offline Find More Posts by mudlark
Old Oct 08, 2011, 05:00 AM
Lakewood, Colorado
Joined Aug 2002
28,672 Posts
It's possible to fly with CP Tx and linear Rx antenna but you'll get a constant -3dB loss in
signal strength. It's better to have CP antenna at both ends. Most folks don't use the
Cloverleaf on the Rx side, but a Skew Planar Wheel, or Viverent, or Turbine, or Helical (for
more gain). These antennas are generally a bit larger but have better rejection patterns
which helps em reject multi-path interference caused by reflections off objects
that you fly near, or are sitting near.

ian
Daemon is online now Find More Posts by Daemon
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 08, 2011, 05:44 AM
Flying low is expensive.
United States, CO, Boulder
Joined Jul 2008
2,398 Posts
Everything Ian said is correct. Now, that being said, I fly FPV with 2 cloverleafs. I'm just starting to get the hang of it, and have been out a solid mile. But the antennas were with me the whole way- no issues.
pdiddyg40 is offline Find More Posts by pdiddyg40
Old Oct 08, 2011, 07:26 AM
Joined Mar 2011
200 Posts
I have flown my V5. I am still having issues with the plane not wanting to bank right, with right aileron input. It will, but VERY slowly.

I have mixed in a bit of rudder with aileron inputs but it still doesn't react in a way that I am used too. My motor has 2-3 degree's of left thrust, meaning the right side of the motor mount has 2 washers under it to push it back a bit. Wondering if this is bad and causing this?

i had that exact issue until i put in new servos on the wings and adjusted the amount of rotation my ailerons could produce. I eliminated that problem right away.

Good luck.
mguilbau1 is offline Find More Posts by mguilbau1
Old Oct 08, 2011, 03:51 PM
United States, CA, Redlands
Joined Dec 2009
90 Posts
Anyone know where I can find instruction for the SW? I lost mine

Darrick
fordarrick is offline Find More Posts by fordarrick
Old Oct 08, 2011, 06:34 PM
Happy Days
Joined Mar 2001
4,184 Posts
So should I build an exact same Cloverleaf for the RX??

Wasn't too sure on the answer given
Old Oct 08, 2011, 06:43 PM
USA, NY, Dryden
Joined Feb 2010
253 Posts
fordarrick-

The manual is on the BevRC.com site.

http://www.bevrc.com/skywalker-168cm...dhl-p-243.html
kross1 is offline Find More Posts by kross1
Old Oct 08, 2011, 07:08 PM
United States, MI, Detroit
Joined Feb 2004
9,090 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by heinduplessis View Post
I'm worried about the stock elevator. It seems very flimsy and flexable. I'm thinking of replacing it completely with a piece of balsa. Anything wrong with my thinking?

Thanks
Hein
I left mine stock and have been flying with it for a years. I've maxed my plane out at 60mph, done straight down dives from 1000ft, and have never had a problem. This isn't a yank and bank type of plane. Its a big lumbering beast.

Also to the folks using a half spoon as an air scoop, make sure you open a large air exit too. I have two inlet scoops on opposite sides of the fus and I enlarged the hole going down to the radio bay and the hole going out the back.
ashdec87 is offline Find More Posts by ashdec87
Last edited by ashdec87; Oct 08, 2011 at 07:47 PM.
Old Oct 08, 2011, 07:14 PM
United States, CA, Redlands
Joined Dec 2009
90 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kross1 View Post
fordarrick-

The manual is on the BevRC.com site.

http://www.bevrc.com/skywalker-168cm...dhl-p-243.html
Thank you Kross1. I turned house upside down look'n for this dang manual.

Darrick
fordarrick is offline Find More Posts by fordarrick
Old Oct 08, 2011, 07:16 PM
FPV junkie
United States, UT
Joined Jan 2011
3,390 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mudlark View Post
So should I build an exact same Cloverleaf for the RX??

Wasn't too sure on the answer given
a few people did some testing and found that cloverleaf on Tx, and skewed planar wheel on Rx worked best.

That is what I fly with, and the helical on diversity.

However;

I found out on my fpv summit, that the slewed planar wheel on tx, and helical rx works best. I'm going to try that on my skywalker and see what results I get.

-Mike
m_beeson is offline Find More Posts by m_beeson
Old Oct 08, 2011, 07:20 PM
Happy Days
Joined Mar 2001
4,184 Posts
Thanks Mike

Looks like I got some more building to do,

Dave