HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 06, 2011, 09:26 AM
FPV ADDICT
United States, TX, Austin
Joined Jan 2011
562 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adidas4275 View Post
is there a repository for mods to this plane?

I am looking at this or the MP Twin Star II

I am really looking for a slow AP platform that needs to be able to hand launch and land in rough places.

I would love to mod the tail boom to be removable for storage...

I want to take this plane with me when i travel and my quad fits in my pelican case nicely.

is there a thread (i have searched for it) that has a bunch of the mods.... many other plane threads the 1st post is just that.

Thanks for the help
Not sure if you saw this one but HK just started selling it FPVRaptor. I just ordered one I was planning on setting up for a traveling FPV setup. I also have a SkySurfer that I love but looking for a little more room for electronics. I like the PVC fus and the screw on tail. Theres a couple of utube videos on the build and flight. It also comes in a 2meter wing version. The 2meter has flaps and the smaller version has them cut in and you add the servos.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...ehouse%5F.html
Wirewolf903 is offline Find More Posts by Wirewolf903
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 06, 2011, 09:27 AM
UAV Pilot
sweden
Joined May 2007
1,006 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by boopidoo View Post
I intend to use a DX201 mounted on a PT in the spot just before the wings behind the canopy. However I have two main designs and I can't decide on which to use?

I'll use Hitec HS65MG on both tilt and pan. The pan frame will be made out of aluminum. the camera and tilt servo mount will also be made out of alumium as well or kydex.
I would do what I can to reduce the height

//UndCon
UndCon is offline Find More Posts by UndCon
Old Oct 06, 2011, 10:15 AM
Austria / Vienna
Joined Feb 2007
1,313 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by UndCon View Post
I would do what I can to reduce the height

//UndCon
hi,
iīve mounted my cam at this position (my pan/tilt is like version "B"). the "cabin" costs a very large area to look forward/down.
so i would prefer version "A" ... but the load to the servogear will be too high at rough landings. you should better go for a metal gear.

cheers Thomas
Thint1 is offline Find More Posts by Thint1
Old Oct 06, 2011, 10:23 AM
On a holiday?
Uppsala, Sweden
Joined Sep 2008
3,638 Posts
@UndCon
Yup I did make it about 15mm lower and this is the result. This also makes it better to tilt down to look over the sides. Tilting up is not very good however I very seldom tilt up so I don't need that.

@Thint1
And, yes metal gears will be used since I'll use HS65MG.
boopidoo is online now Find More Posts by boopidoo
Old Oct 06, 2011, 12:27 PM
Foam Snow
South Africa, WC, Cape Town
Joined Aug 2011
1,334 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thint1 View Post
yes, ignore the manual

moving the cg back results in better gliding behavior, but will cause instability.
iīve tested different cogīs, my skywalker weight: 2100g

original: gliding angle 1:brick, need much aileron up to get an flyable angle, but react nervous if underspeed/overspeed

0-25mm behind servo wire: getting better every few mm
25mm: optimum of gliding angle, speed spectrum and stability
25-35: angle getting better again, but sensible at underspeed and less selfstabilisation.
these measurements may vary at different weights an pilot skills, but 25mm will be a good start for your first flight.

my actual set is 30mm. issues at underspeed donīt matter in my case, because i use the optional flaps.

cheers Thomas
Thanks Thomas

I'm going to aim for that.

I'm worried about the stock elevator. It seems very flimsy and flexable. I'm thinking of replacing it completely with a piece of balsa. Anything wrong with my thinking?

Thanks
Hein
heinduplessis is offline Find More Posts by heinduplessis
Old Oct 06, 2011, 01:47 PM
Foam Snow
Joined Aug 2011
1,334 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by octane81 View Post
I would advice you to change the stock linkage stoppers , they are the worst!!
Even if you tighten them to the max , they will still loose grip after some flights.. and that WILL result in a hard landing remember safety when fpv'ing !!!
Get these , much much better !! http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=8519
You're right there - I don't trust the stock ones!! Thanks for the link. In cart..
Old Oct 06, 2011, 02:00 PM
Joined Aug 2010
932 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by webdr View Post
you did my spoon mod! very nice
I just did the spoon mod, you get the award for the most clever mod! THANKS, worked great at cooling down my ESC
thekubiaks is online now Find More Posts by thekubiaks
Old Oct 06, 2011, 03:12 PM
Austria / Vienna
Joined Feb 2007
1,313 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by heinduplessis View Post
Thanks Thomas

I'm going to aim for that.

I'm worried about the stock elevator. It seems very flimsy and flexable. I'm thinking of replacing it completely with a piece of balsa. Anything wrong with my thinking?

Thanks
Hein
my version came with an additional carbon-stripe for the elevator and was flexable too. i added a second stripe in the middle between original and leading edge. now itīs ok. .... accidental tested at a airspeed nearly 100km/h

a balsa elevator with this measurements will be heavier and a lot of building work - itīs like a wing for a small glider.

cheers Thomas
Thint1 is offline Find More Posts by Thint1
Old Oct 06, 2011, 03:14 PM
RCGroups Editor
United States, OH, Parma
Joined Jul 2009
5,186 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by thekubiaks View Post
I just did the spoon mod, you get the award for the most clever mod! THANKS, worked great at cooling down my ESC
LOL, glad it worked out. I wish I could claim it though; I have a feeling its been done before. But Im glad I brought it to everyones attention. It definitely helps cool internals.
Matt Gunn is online now Find More Posts by Matt Gunn
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Bill Hempel Xtreme Decathlon
Old Oct 06, 2011, 04:02 PM
Foam Snow
Joined Aug 2011
1,334 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thint1 View Post
my version came with an additional carbon-stripe for the elevator and was flexable too. i added a second stripe in the middle between original and leading edge. now itīs ok. .... accidental tested at a airspeed nearly 100km/h

a balsa elevator with this measurements will be heavier and a lot of building work - itīs like a wing for a small glider.

cheers Thomas
Wow balsa is very light, and the elevator is little more than a perfect rectangle. I'll play it safe anyway and go for the reinforcement. Thanks.

Btw took her out on maidens today, cg not perfect yet and very windy but flew fine.
Old Oct 07, 2011, 07:27 AM
Foam Snow
Joined Aug 2011
1,334 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by webdr View Post
LOL, glad it worked out. I wish I could claim it though; I have a feeling its been done before. But Im glad I brought it to everyones attention. It definitely helps cool internals.
Had to go back quite a bit to find this elusive mod Looks awesome!

One question, would it not create a high pressure zone messing with altimeters? I've seen many ppl actually taping shut vent holes. Just curious.
Old Oct 07, 2011, 08:26 AM
UAV Pilot
sweden
Joined May 2007
1,006 Posts
Quote:
@UndCon
Yup I did make it about 15mm lower and this is the result. This also makes it better to tilt down to look over the sides. Tilting up is not very good however I very seldom tilt up so I don't need that.
Cool - Here is what I have in mind...

//UndCon
UndCon is offline Find More Posts by UndCon
Old Oct 07, 2011, 10:36 AM
Seafax ROV
United Kingdom, Barrow-in-Furness
Joined Feb 2011
371 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wirewolf903 View Post
I wouldn't spend a cent on ANYTHING that put lipstick on THAT badly
WalneyCol is offline Find More Posts by WalneyCol
Old Oct 07, 2011, 10:49 AM
fly it high as possible
Falls Church, VA
Joined Jun 2009
490 Posts
Hi guys,

does somebody finish building and flew new vers. 5 of the SW?
Link to building thread?
Some of my friends told that vers 4 was much better then 5, cause there is one only wing joiner and it is easy to fold, quality is very bad, tubes inside wings are moving freely and other bad things.
Or am I wrong?
Enybody?
Thanks.
IL76MD is offline Find More Posts by IL76MD
Old Oct 07, 2011, 11:22 AM
Happy Days
United Kingdom, High Wycombe
Joined Mar 2001
4,264 Posts
Quote:
@UndCon

@Thint1
And, yes metal gears will be used since I'll use HS65MG.
Hi
The design looks great but the DX201 is quit a heavy camera and I feel that you might get a lot of flexing at the servo joints.
I hope I'm wrong
mudlark is offline Find More Posts by mudlark