slarys is offline Find More Posts by slarys
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 04, 2011, 12:04 PM
Austria / Vienna
Joined Feb 2007
1,308 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by heinduplessis View Post
I'm closing up my Skywalker, any last suggestions?

I've done:

1. Embedded a straw to accommodate later cabling from canopy to shelf
2. Opened a channel to accommodate the esc wires coming down to the battery
3. Opened a channel to accommodate GPS placement etc.

Any other suggestions?
hi,
open 2 holes to the outside near the esc (under the wings) for air intake and cooling the esc. on the outside mount air-intakes like part of a plastik-tube to let the air flow thru.

cheers Thomas
Thint1 is offline Find More Posts by Thint1
Old Oct 04, 2011, 01:23 PM
Foam Snow
South Africa, WC, Cape Town
Joined Aug 2011
1,333 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by slarys View Post
If only it wasnt so expensive
Yes I was lucky got it at half price. Way too expressive outright.
heinduplessis is offline Find More Posts by heinduplessis
Old Oct 04, 2011, 01:24 PM
Foam Snow
Joined Aug 2011
1,333 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thint1 View Post
hi,
open 2 holes to the outside near the esc (under the wings) for air intake and cooling the esc. on the outside mount air-intakes like part of a plastik-tube to let the air flow thru.

cheers Thomas
Good point will do.
Old Oct 04, 2011, 01:27 PM
Foam Snow
Joined Aug 2011
1,333 Posts
Can anybody suggest a good way to attach the magnets to the cabin flap? I had it embedded into a separate balsa piece but I see some of you have it straight on the foam. I'm worried it will tear out, the magnets are very powerful.
Old Oct 04, 2011, 01:28 PM
RTFM
Antarctica
Joined Oct 2010
1,178 Posts
just use CA , it will hold
octane81 is online now Find More Posts by octane81
Old Oct 04, 2011, 01:50 PM
RCGroups Editor
United States, OH, Parma
Joined Jul 2009
5,054 Posts
Quote:
Can anybody suggest a good way to attach the magnets to the cabin flap? I had it embedded into a separate balsa piece but I see some of you have it straight on the foam. I'm worried it will tear out, the magnets are very powerful.
hot glue FTW
Matt Gunn is online now Find More Posts by Matt Gunn
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Bill Hempel Xtreme Decathlon
Old Oct 04, 2011, 02:01 PM
Foam Snow
Joined Aug 2011
1,333 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by octane81 View Post
just use CA , it will hold
Sorry I tried before to deduce what CA means - Common Adhesive?
Old Oct 04, 2011, 02:03 PM
2Vision-Air
Canada, QC, Blainville
Joined Aug 2009
2,179 Posts
Quote:
Sorry I tried before to deduce what CA means - Common Adhesive?
Cyanoacrylate is the generic name for cyanoacrylate based fast-acting adhesives such as methyl 2-cyanoacrylate, ethyl-2-cyanoacrylate (commonly sold under trade names like Super Glue, Krazy Glue, and Cyber Fix Glue and Bondloc), and n-butyl cyanoacrylate (used in the veterinary glues Vetbond and LiquiVet and skin glues like GluStitch, Xoin, Indermil, LiquiBand and Histoacryl). Also commonly used under the name of "Jet Glue" for pointe dancers to extend the life of their pointe shoes. The related compound 2-octyl cyanoacrylate is a medical grade glue encountered under various trade names, such as derma+flex QS, SurgiSeal, octylseal, FloraSeal, Dermabond, Surgi-Lock and Nexaband; it was developed to be non-toxic and less irritating to skin tissue. Cyanoacrylate adhesives are sometimes known as instant glues. The abbreviation CA is commonly used for industrial grades.

example of CA foam safe
http://www.google.com/products/catal...ed=0CDcQ8wIwAQ
bakchos is online now Find More Posts by bakchos
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 04, 2011, 02:03 PM
Foam Snow
Joined Aug 2011
1,333 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by webdr View Post
hot glue FTW
Tanks. Do you also use that to attach the balsa engine mounting to the firewall? I tried the normal EPO glue supplied but it simply fell off. Used hot glue last time, was all good, just worried about it becoming brittle and all the vibrations etc...
Old Oct 04, 2011, 02:05 PM
Foam Snow
Joined Aug 2011
1,333 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bakchos View Post
Cyanoacrylate is the generic name for cyanoacrylate based fast-acting adhesives such as methyl 2-cyanoacrylate, ethyl-2-cyanoacrylate (commonly sold under trade names like Super Glue, Krazy Glue, and Cyber Fix Glue and Bondloc), and n-butyl cyanoacrylate (used in the veterinary glues Vetbond and LiquiVet and skin glues like GluStitch, Xoin, Indermil, LiquiBand and Histoacryl). Also commonly used under the name of "Jet Glue" for pointe dancers to extend the life of their pointe shoes. The related compound 2-octyl cyanoacrylate is a medical grade glue encountered under various trade names, such as derma+flex QS, SurgiSeal, octylseal, FloraSeal, Dermabond, Surgi-Lock and Nexaband; it was developed to be non-toxic and less irritating to skin tissue. Cyanoacrylate adhesives are sometimes known as instant glues. The abbreviation CA is commonly used for industrial grades.

example of CA foam safe
http://www.google.com/products/catal...ed=0CDcQ8wIwAQ
Thanks, I have a rough idea now
Old Oct 04, 2011, 02:21 PM
If it's to be, it's up to me.
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jan 2007
3,091 Posts
Quote:
Ian, see below. Picture one is without the ring, so you can see my horrible attempt at drilling. There's some play for the shaft in the one direction. The second picture has just the ring added. The nut / spinner goes on the opposite side, so, as I have it, the more the nut is tightened, the more "straight" the shaft is pulled in proportion to the prop.

Pic 3 has the other bits, where you can see the spinner forces the ring-side (right hand side) flat against the washer.
I'm sure you know already, but that Prop is backwards for a skywalker installation.
subsonic is offline Find More Posts by subsonic
Old Oct 04, 2011, 02:30 PM
Foam Snow
Joined Aug 2011
1,333 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by subsonic View Post
I'm sure you know already, but that Prop is backwards for a skywalker installation.
I know! Sorry!
Old Oct 04, 2011, 02:52 PM
RCGroups Editor
United States, OH, Parma
Joined Jul 2009
5,054 Posts
Quote:
Tanks. Do you also use that to attach the balsa engine mounting to the firewall? I tried the normal EPO glue supplied but it simply fell off. Used hot glue last time, was all good, just worried about it becoming brittle and all the vibrations etc...
Yes, I used a healthy amount of hot glue on the motor mount and its on there very well. However, some may argue that hot glue can loosen up during the hot summer months, if you leave your bird cooking in the sun or in a car.
A great alternative is Goop
http://www.biosafe-inc.com/all_purpose.htm

Its been used on ritewing flying wings for years to hold down motor mounts and winglets. Great stuff and will never come off.
Matt Gunn is online now Find More Posts by Matt Gunn
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Bill Hempel Xtreme Decathlon
Old Oct 04, 2011, 03:17 PM
Foam Snow
Joined Aug 2011
1,333 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by webdr View Post
Yes, I used a healthy amount of hot glue on the motor mount and its on there very well. However, some may argue that hot glue can loosen up during the hot summer months, if you leave your bird cooking in the sun or in a car.
A great alternative is Goop
http://www.biosafe-inc.com/all_purpose.htm

Its been used on ritewing flying wings for years to hold down motor mounts and winglets. Great stuff and will never come off.
Ok great will order so long in case. Are you flying ritewing as well? I was in two minds about not getting a skywalker again and go ffor a ritewing.