Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jun 21, 2010, 07:42 PM
United States, MI, Detroit
Joined Feb 2004
9,090 Posts
That's what I plan to do. I've got some foam set aside for it. Is four inches about right? Or more/less?
ashdec87 is offline Find More Posts by ashdec87
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 21, 2010, 07:47 PM
Falling with style
Canada, QC
Joined Apr 2010
1,324 Posts
Guys, sorry for the stupid question; I am looking at all the items included in the package and I can't figure out what I do with the 4 metal screws and the 2 smaller metal screws of the same kind. Are they for screwing control horns? If so, I need 2 more screws...

Can anyone help? thanks.
metalfred is offline Find More Posts by metalfred
Old Jun 21, 2010, 09:08 PM
I love FPV!
Eastern side of Australia
Joined Jan 2007
4,650 Posts
yes, I used the longer ones on my ailerons, but they stick out the top a bit... Building the courage to try make them smaller... Smaller ones are for rudder and elevator, but the rudder is too thick for them. I got new screws.. You do seem to be missing some though...

I've lost the round wooden disk for the motor mount. I'm 'screwed' now...
Cralis is offline Find More Posts by Cralis
Old Jun 21, 2010, 10:09 PM
Joined Nov 2008
605 Posts
Is the problem the CG, or the wing loading?
Because I see people write the CG is too tail heavy, but that it needs to lose weight, and perhaps have a longer nose (which would add weight). so I am confused.

The box says to 1800 grams max AUW, is that not realistic for an FPV ship?
nyc863 is offline Find More Posts by nyc863
Old Jun 21, 2010, 11:40 PM
Joined Feb 2004
9,090 Posts
I think the problem is both. To get it to balance you have to add a lot of weight to the nose, thus making the wing loading too high. By extending the nose you need less weight to balance..
Old Jun 21, 2010, 11:47 PM
I love FPV!
Eastern side of Australia
Joined Jan 2007
4,650 Posts
BEVRC (or anyone who has the tools...) - Maybe you can get an Add-on built and sold? A nose-extender? Like Pinocchio, except... an add on for the Skywalker? Something that we can just glue on?
Cralis is offline Find More Posts by Cralis
Old Jun 22, 2010, 12:21 AM
Joined Nov 2008
605 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashdec87 View Post
I think the problem is both. To get it to balance you have to add a lot of weight to the nose, thus making the wing loading too high. By extending the nose you need less weight to balance..
So with the knowledge that it will be tail heavy, you can't carve out more space for locating the batteries more forward or something? or if you have a pan/tilt mount and a decent camera, doesn't that go into the nose and solves the problem?

Usually if something is nose heavy you have a bigger problem, because you can't put stuff as easily behind the CoG as you can put stuff up front?
Old Jun 22, 2010, 12:34 AM
Joined Feb 2004
9,090 Posts
no, its a bigger problem to have things tail heavy because you cant put anything farther than the nose, which is generally closer to the CG than the tail. A little weight in the tail offsets a lot of weight in the nose. My plane should be here tomorrow, but I think that people have shoved the battery as far forward, even with all the FPV stuff there its still tail heavy so they've been using a bigger battery. This increases flight time, but makes the plane fly faster and not as nice.

I'm hoping with the extended nose I can decrease the battery size needed, slowing the plane, needing less power, a smaller motor, etc. Thus having similar flying times to a large battery with a better handling setup. We'll see.
Old Jun 22, 2010, 03:27 AM
Romania, Dolj, Craiova
Joined Sep 2007
14,260 Posts
I think the idea to move the wing a bit back, suggested by sander, deserves some attention ...
renatoa is offline Find More Posts by renatoa
Old Jun 22, 2010, 04:25 AM
Joined Sep 2003
16 Posts
My plane arrived today - I was a bit worried when I saw the deformed arrangement of cardboard that used to resemble a box, but inside the plane was completely unscathed. I ordered mine from fpvflying.com and they packed it very nicely.

I am now looking at ways to resolve the CG issues. Extending the nose will require a nasty hack job, but it might be the best bet. Moving the wings rearward as suggested is a good idea, but is made difficult by the way the wings are designed. There are slots built in to the fuse which the wing slides into - moving the wings back would require another hack job, and the motor mount limits the options of wing position anyway.

Need to think about this one a bit further before pulling the knife out of the toolbox.
OhhYeah is offline Find More Posts by OhhYeah
Old Jun 22, 2010, 05:31 AM
USA, NC, Matthews
Joined Aug 2008
3,205 Posts
Am I missing something with the CG? Mine balances and flies fine with 3s 5000mah in the nose. This is with the video tx on the pad on the tail boom. That could be moved forward to move the cg even more forward.

Why is everyone having cg issues? Mine turned out perfect. Is it because I am using a lighter than normal motor? Are you guys wanting it to balance with less than a 5000mah lipo?

Not saying you guys don't have a legit issue, I am just trying to figure out what the problem is??
techspy is online now Find More Posts by techspy
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My Esprit Saga
Old Jun 22, 2010, 05:56 AM
Joined Nov 2008
605 Posts
how is your flight time with a 3s 5000mah battery?
Old Jun 22, 2010, 05:59 AM
USA, NC, Matthews
Joined Aug 2008
3,205 Posts
So far I haven't done any fpv, only los to get it trimmed etc. I get 8 minutes on approx 1120mah all at cruising speed. Video a page back. Is that good or bad?
techspy is online now Find More Posts by techspy
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My Esprit Saga
Old Jun 22, 2010, 06:04 AM
Fly like a bird
Beijing & ShenZhen, China
Joined May 2010
480 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by techspy View Post
Am I missing something with the CG? Mine balances and flies fine with 3s 5000mah in the nose. This is with the video tx on the pad on the tail boom. That could be moved forward to move the cg even more forward.

Why is everyone having cg issues? Mine turned out perfect. Is it because I am using a lighter than normal motor? Are you guys wanting it to balance with less than a 5000mah lipo?

Not saying you guys don't have a legit issue, I am just trying to figure out what the problem is??
Lol, I am curious too, so many happy fliers, why don't they have these problems?
I also want to know how he build his plane and find out the problem.

Best,
BEVRC.com
BEVRC is offline Find More Posts by BEVRC
Old Jun 22, 2010, 06:25 AM
Joined Nov 2008
605 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by techspy View Post
So far I haven't done any fpv, only los to get it trimmed etc. I get 8 minutes on approx 1120mah all at cruising speed. Video a page back. Is that good or bad?
hm, well, if your pack is 5000 you will be able to get maybe half an hour. I don't know what cruising speed is, lets say it is 20 mph? then you could cruise for 5 miles out and 5 miles back. But with a better safety margin, and some climbing and turns, and more weight from FPV, that might be a 4 mile range.

I have no idea if that is good for FPV ships or not. Just thinking aloud.