HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 19, 2011, 01:30 PM
------------
Wielka Brytania, Anglia, Derbyshire
Joined Jan 2011
416 Posts
My record

FPV SKYWALKER 6KM CHAINLINK (12 min 46 sec)
jsxx is offline Find More Posts by jsxx
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 19, 2011, 02:35 PM
UAV Pilot
sweden
Joined May 2007
1,005 Posts
I made a big venting hole in the front/below of panning servo - works great - my ESC used to be very hot - melted the plastics a bit - now its constantly cool.

And a video

http://www.undcon.com/2011/08/19/skywalker-fpvagain/

//UndCon
UndCon is offline Find More Posts by UndCon
Last edited by UndCon; Aug 19, 2011 at 04:33 PM.
Old Aug 19, 2011, 05:15 PM
FPV junkie
United States, UT
Joined Jan 2011
3,372 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by UndCon View Post
I made a big venting hole in the front/below of panning servo - works great - my ESC used to be very hot - melted the plastics a bit - now its constantly cool.

And a video

http://www.undcon.com/2011/08/19/skywalker-fpvagain/

//UndCon
"Slow Down"; that's a cool video UndCon
m_beeson is offline Find More Posts by m_beeson
Old Aug 19, 2011, 05:25 PM
THEY MOSTLY COME OUT AT NIGHT
Kaysville, Utah
Joined Jul 2005
1,253 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by m_beeson View Post

So Mike when are we gonna get together and fly? You have done so much FPV stuff in the last couple of months I think you have blown by us
chimaera is offline Find More Posts by chimaera
Old Aug 19, 2011, 06:28 PM
UAV Pilot
sweden
Joined May 2007
1,005 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by m_beeson View Post
Thank you!

Here are some facts about the flight...

avg speed 32.7km/h
max speed 72.5km/h

avg altitude 12m
max altitude 34m

distance 7.5km

Slow down - the best way for a Skywalker
Old Aug 20, 2011, 01:56 AM
Houba ! Houba !!
United Kingdom, England, Milton Keynes
Joined Sep 2003
6,069 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdiddyg40 View Post

But rcmonster, I'm really glad you've had such a good experience with your SW. I've never followed any other thread where 2-3 people a week come in with "I crashed my plane". The number of folded wings was shocking. I figure, now I have the stuff to do it, so I might as well just do it. It won't add much weight, and it shouldn't take long to do.
I consider Daemon an authority in FPV and video related matters. His advice will enhance your FPV experience. He has helped me a lot with cracking results. So go for it, as you say, you are not adding weight.
Shikra is also very very knowledgeable
I've been an RC modeller since I was 16 (over half a century old now ) so I know my flying and I apply commons sense based on my experience

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shikra View Post
+! - depends how you fly.

Mine is standard v2 and built light. Has no mods. So I fly it gentle.....

Sorry to crosspost, but check out last quarter of this vid to see how slow they fly when lightly loaded!
http://vimeo.com/27866505
My plane is very similar than Shikra's.
No mods, in fact I have mounted the recommended 900KV motor on the BEVRC site and use the recommended 45A speed controller with a 3s 5000mah swinging a 9x6 prop (in my opinion a 10x5 on a 1200KV is going to burn excessive amps) At full blast, my SW burns about 17A and there is plenty of power to haul the airframe for ages !

The power demands are so low on the battery that I can use a single battery setup for video and avionics without any noise on the video.
the speed controller is also mounted under the motor and the wing slot compartment houses the GPS antenna.
Mine can fly pretty slow too but I think Shikra's plane goes slower, I will try the 2200 battery setup.
Daemon suggest 25 to 30mm behind the servo wires for your CofG and a 5mm movement deflection on the elevator.
I can definitely vouch for that.

In this configuration, Skywalker becomes a good all rounder, it will thermal, it will skim the ground, it will fly fast-ish too (not compared to a 100mph funjet ) and I never needed flaps for landing or otherwise as it can fly quite slow...
enjoy yours !
rcmonster99 is online now Find More Posts by rcmonster99
Last edited by rcmonster99; Aug 20, 2011 at 02:03 AM.
Old Aug 20, 2011, 06:56 AM
Flying low is expensive.
United States, CO, Boulder
Joined Jul 2008
2,398 Posts
@RCMonster: I had bought the 10x5 thinking that I could use less throttle to get the same thrust. I was hoping to save an amp or so over the 9x6. Maybe this wont be the case. I'll throw it on the wattmeter and try it anyway since I have the prop in hand. Would you say that the CG should be at 25-30 from the servo wires for the maiden? OR maybe I should place it around 10-15mm back for a more stable, nose-heavy flyer for the first go...

And you know what, I was going to put flaps in, but with the way Sander cuts his wing in half, it kinda cuts the flap in half, too. I was just going to do it because it looked like fun As long as I keep it on a diet, it should land alright. I was also going to fiberglass the bottom with the WBPU method a-la Sander (can you tell whose build I am copying yet?) just to keep it a little nicer looking.

I can't wait to get started! As soon as my gear gets here (Should be Monday) I'll have to get crackin. There are a ton of knowledgeable people on here (yourself and Shikra included). I feel like I know a lot about planes, but the experience you guys carry is priceless. I've been flying since I was twelve. I've been flying for five years. I do believe that I can beat you in a texting competition, though

Edit: Does anyone know if I can just peel the stickers off my SW? LowPrice pre-stuck them on, and I'm sure I can come up with a paint job that looks better than those stickers. I'm not sure If they'll leave some kinda ugly mark that wouldn't be worth peeling them off. I don't understand why they felt the need to put them on in the first place...
pdiddyg40 is offline Find More Posts by pdiddyg40
Old Aug 20, 2011, 07:16 AM
FPV maniac
Colorado
Joined Sep 2007
587 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdiddyg40
Does anyone know if I can just peel the stickers off my SW? LowPrice pre-stuck them on, and I'm sure I can come up with a paint job that looks better than those stickers. I'm not sure If they'll leave some kinda ugly mark that wouldn't be worth peeling them off. I don't understand why they felt the need to put them on in the first place...
I have the same opinion about the stickers as you do. You can just peel them off. Thank goodness they come off easily.
Bruce
bah7566 is offline Find More Posts by bah7566
Old Aug 20, 2011, 08:29 AM
If it's to be, it's up to me.
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jan 2007
3,067 Posts
I haven't even started my build yet, but I just had to pull those stickers off when I unboxed it. Man they are ugly. Good to have them gone. They weren't even close to being straight, luck they came off without leaving a trace.

sub.
subsonic is online now Find More Posts by subsonic
Old Aug 20, 2011, 09:20 AM
Turkey, Istanbul
Joined Dec 2010
413 Posts
Guys,
Which kind of paint do you thing to use on SW instead of stickers
Cheers
Firatp is offline Find More Posts by Firatp
Old Aug 20, 2011, 09:51 AM
UAV Pilot
sweden
Joined May 2007
1,005 Posts
I removed most of my stickers and relocated some of them.

1st I removed them in 1 quick move - but the surface got a bit rough
2nd sticker removed I pulled slower and it worked better.

//UndCon
Old Aug 20, 2011, 09:54 AM
FPV junkie
United States, UT
Joined Jan 2011
3,372 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chimaera View Post
So Mike when are we gonna get together and fly? You have done so much FPV stuff in the last couple of months I think you have blown by us
Nate,

That sounds like fun. I have gotten RTH to work, and the plane is flying pretty good, so I'm going to start looking for different places to fly.

Mike
m_beeson is offline Find More Posts by m_beeson
Old Aug 20, 2011, 11:20 AM
Chris R
United Kingdom
Joined Dec 2009
713 Posts
jsxx what location is that?
Cir2kuk is offline Find More Posts by Cir2kuk
Old Aug 20, 2011, 02:24 PM
RCGroups Editor
United States, OH, Parma
Joined Jul 2009
5,000 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by UndCon View Post

avg speed 32.7km/h
max speed 72.5km/h

avg altitude 12m
max altitude 34m

distance 7.5km

Slow down - the best way for a Skywalker

60fps, slowed to 24fps?
Matt Gunn is online now Find More Posts by Matt Gunn
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: RMRC FPV Fest 2014 Wrap-up
Old Aug 20, 2011, 06:58 PM
Fly Chitty Chitty Bang Bang!
Central California USA
Joined Feb 2011
379 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by webdr View Post
60fps, slowed to 24fps?
It is not the frames per second to ones Eyes.
It is the latency to how the others with certian Movie Software they can do on a PC.
EarthOrbiter is offline Find More Posts by EarthOrbiter
Last edited by EarthOrbiter; Aug 20, 2011 at 07:08 PM.