If it's to be, it's up to me.
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jan 2007
2,860 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcplanes1234 View Post
here is my prop i bought
http://www.hobbywireless.com/cart/in...roducts_id=226

I fly whot about 30seconds bring it to half land and its burning hot. Also the motor off does not spin very good. I also thought they spin pretty freely. This was spins but not like smaller motors I have for other planes.
What current is the system pulling? Is it within the rated specs of the motor?

By not spinning freely, what do you mean? If it's the gogging of the motor, which is just the force of the magnets pulling on the stator, it's normal. If you can feel the bearings or other dragging, it's not and would contribute to high current draw and heat.
subsonic is offline Find More Posts by subsonic
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 03, 2011, 06:41 PM
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jan 2007
2,860 Posts
I'm just about to start building mine and am wondering if anyone on here set up a Skywalker with taildragger gear?

I'm thinking that with the high mount pusher motor, that I might struggle to prevent it from nosing over on the ground?

sub.
Old Aug 03, 2011, 06:59 PM
Joined Nov 2008
605 Posts
it won't nose over if you put the front gear far forward
or don't wail on the throttle.

if you want to save the epo I bought some hobbyking plastic skids they just push in (glue) I have one on each wing tip and one on the belly.
nyc863 is offline Find More Posts by nyc863
Old Aug 03, 2011, 07:28 PM
United States, IA, West Des Moines
Joined Jan 2010
650 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by subsonic View Post
What current is the system pulling? Is it within the rated specs of the motor?

By not spinning freely, what do you mean? If it's the gogging of the motor, which is just the force of the magnets pulling on the stator, it's normal. If you can feel the bearings or other dragging, it's not and would contribute to high current draw and heat.
Its way under and I cant really feels the magnets. I can really feel the magnets in a smaller motor though. Maybe I just need to get the 9x6e prop. Also all I did to make the prop thrust air the other way is to spin the motor the other way and I kept the prop the proper way. Do I need to put it backwards?
rcplanes1234 is offline Find More Posts by rcplanes1234
Last edited by rcplanes1234; Aug 03, 2011 at 07:33 PM.
Old Aug 03, 2011, 08:05 PM
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jan 2007
2,860 Posts

No you need to put it on the "correct" way. The curved side always goes to the front.
Old Aug 03, 2011, 08:27 PM
Joined Jan 2010
650 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by subsonic View Post

No you need to put it on the "correct" way. The curved side always goes to the front.
Then why is it getting so hot. Would it change if I got a 9x6e prop?
Old Aug 03, 2011, 09:23 PM
RCGroups FPV channel Editor
United States, OH, North Royalton
Joined Jul 2009
4,632 Posts
Maidened the SW V4 today. Great flyer, much better than I anticipated. Even loaded to a little over 4 lbs, she glided ok, no wingtip stalls when I slowed her to stall speed; just dropped the nose.

I did, however, have some serious CG problems. I balanced it to Daemons recommendations of 105mm back from the leading edge, also stated as 30mm back from the stock setting of 75mm. She was very tail heavy and I needed alot of down elevator just to keep it flying.

I moved the battery all the way forward which helped but I think she is still tail heavy. elevator is level an she pitches up with no power, and pitches slightly down with power. It got dark so I had to settle with only two flights.
Matt Gunn is online now Find More Posts by Matt Gunn
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Losi TEN Rally-X in the snow
Old Aug 03, 2011, 09:34 PM
Joined Jan 2010
650 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by webdr View Post
Maidened the SW V4 today. Great flyer, much better than I anticipated. Even loaded to a little over 4 lbs, she glided ok, no wingtip stalls when I slowed her to stall speed; just dropped the nose.

I did, however, have some serious CG problems. I balanced it to Daemons recommendations of 105mm back from the leading edge, also stated as 30mm back from the stock setting of 75mm. She was very tail heavy and I needed alot of down elevator just to keep it flying.

I moved the battery all the way forward which helped but I think she is still tail heavy. elevator is level an she pitches up with no power, and pitches slightly down with power. It got dark so I had to settle with only two flights.
what motor were you using/prop
Old Aug 03, 2011, 09:47 PM
RCGroups FPV channel Editor
United States, OH, North Royalton
Joined Jul 2009
4,632 Posts
Quote:
what motor were you using/prop
rimfire 35-36 1200 apc 9x6
Matt Gunn is online now Find More Posts by Matt Gunn
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Losi TEN Rally-X in the snow
Old Aug 03, 2011, 10:22 PM
Flying low is expensive.
United States, CO, Boulder
Joined Jul 2008
2,397 Posts
Quote:
Then why is it getting so hot. Would it change if I got a 9x6e prop?
Oh jeeze Did you really ask why you need to turn the prop the correct way? Stop, think about that for a second. Okay. If you install the prop backwards, it would not be advantageous just to get a new prop and install that backwards, too. A backwards prop is grossly inefficient and will draw more current and produce less thrust than it if it is install the correct way. On and APC prop: look for the numbers indicating size, those face towards the front every time. On a tractor, on a pusher, and on a mid-mounted motor.
pdiddyg40 is offline Find More Posts by pdiddyg40
Old Aug 03, 2011, 10:29 PM
Joined Jan 2010
650 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdiddyg40 View Post
Oh jeeze Did you really ask why you need to turn the prop the correct way? Stop, think about that for a second. Okay. If you install the prop backwards, it would not be advantageous just to get a new prop and install that backwards, too. A backwards prop is grossly inefficient and will draw more current and produce less thrust than it if it is install the correct way. On and APC prop: look for the numbers indicating size, those face towards the front every time. On a tractor, on a pusher, and on a mid-mounted motor.
Yes i have the numbers facing forward. I just got a regular 9x6 prop and made the motor run the other way. I will say that when the motor is running the air moving sounds very funny compared to other electrics I have. Im going to try pusher prop and see what happens. Anybody else have any other props you can use.
Old Aug 03, 2011, 10:32 PM
Flying low is expensive.
United States, CO, Boulder
Joined Jul 2008
2,397 Posts
Quote:
Yes i have the numbers facing forward. I just got a regular 9x6 prop and made the motor run the other way. I will say that when the motor is running the air moving sounds very funny compared to other electrics I have. Im going to try pusher prop and see what happens. Anybody else have any other props you can use.
Going to a pusher prop will not help you, I promise. (I'm trying to save you money here). If you have the prop mounted correctly, and air blowing towards the tail, then it is not the fault of the prop. I could be an offset magnet creating friction in the motor casing? You said it spins alright, no? What do you mean, the air sounds funny?
pdiddyg40 is offline Find More Posts by pdiddyg40
Old Aug 03, 2011, 10:39 PM
Fast and low...
Joined Apr 2009
837 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by webdr View Post

Try moving the CG forward.
aa78 is offline Find More Posts by aa78
Old Aug 03, 2011, 10:56 PM
Joined Jan 2010
650 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdiddyg40 View Post
Going to a pusher prop will not help you, I promise. (I'm trying to save you money here). If you have the prop mounted correctly, and air blowing towards the tail, then it is not the fault of the prop. I could be an offset magnet creating friction in the motor casing? You said it spins alright, no? What do you mean, the air sounds funny?
It sounds different then normal. It's very hard to describe all I can say that its not what I usually hear. The motor sounds fine. Can I fix the offset motor case, or do i have to buy a new one? Thnks
Old Aug 03, 2011, 11:01 PM
First to go over 106K feet
USA, IA, North Liberty
Joined Mar 2008
2,460 Posts
Quote:
It sounds different then normal. It's very hard to describe all I can say that its not what I usually hear. The motor sounds fine. Can I fix the offset motor case, or do i have to buy a new one? Thnks
Go to Hobby Haven and get an APC 9x6 electric prop. It doesn't have to be a pusher.
Crist Rigotti is online now Find More Posts by Crist Rigotti